Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NS&R can I back up my NAS to DVD ? (Read 4990 times)
petewizz
Ex Member

NS&R can I back up my NAS to DVD ?
Jan 17th, 2008 at 1:11pm

Hello eveyone,

I've just installed NS&R 2 on my Win XP machine. I have a Buffalo Linkstation networked HDD that stores my shared data, and mapped onto my pc. When I tried to set up a scheduled backup of the data on the Linkstation NS&R said it has to be a local drive. Any ideas ?

Thanks  Pete.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: NS&R can I back up my NAS to DVD ?
Reply #1 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 1:22pm

Norton S&R 2 has two separate functions:  file/folder backups and image/HD sector backups.

The image backup function has to run on the system it is installed on.  For example, you would backup your c: system drive so that in an emergency, you could restore the image onto a new hard drive in the event of a failure.

If you want an image backup of your NAS, install Norton S&R/Ghost on that pc.

If you want to create file/folder backups of the NAS, I think (haven't tried it myself) you can do that with Norton S&R.

Which type of backup were you trying to define?

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

petewizz
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 1:57pm

Thanks for the quick response. I only have data (documents, photos etc) stored on the Networked HDD (and it is only a HDD in a box with a network card, not a full pc) so I was attempting the backup files and folders option. It seems wrong to have to copy everything from the network HDD onto my pc first, just to then copy it onto a DVD.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Jan 17th, 2008 at 2:29pm

If you're just trying to copy some files/folders to DVD, why not use something like Nero or Roxio to burn DVD's directly from the NAS.

I think that the Norton S&R backup definition option though should allow you to use DVD as the destination, but maybe the fact the source is networked is the issue.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print