Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Missing Vista Partition (Read 1925 times)
Firedawg
Ex Member

Missing Vista Partition
Jan 19th, 2008 at 3:37pm

History:  I have a dual boot system (XP/Vista), which I'm currently working towards removing XP, any way I purchased a download version of Norton Ghost 12 to assist me in this project but I cannot see my partition for Vista to backup.  I have attached a pic showing only the WinXP_PC partition and only one of my 3 internal data drives. 

Question:  I have missed something in setting up NG12?

2008-01-19_163150.jpg (Attachment deleted)

IP Logged

Firedawg
Ex Member

Re: Missing Vista Partition
Reply #1 - Jan 22nd, 2008 at 6:52am

Ok, here is the follow up.  For those who have SATA drives. and I mean more than one, when installing VISTA disconnect all other SATA drives leaving only the main OS drive during installation of VISTA. 

Why you ask, well for some freakish reason VISTA feels compelled to spread about the love when it comes to the MBR placing the active drive, boot, primary, etc denotions to other drives during installation. As long as you do not change the nature of all the drives later you are fine, but if you remove or reformat a drive that has one of the boot up properties like say the boot file, then guess what your system will not boot.  Cry

If you are reading this and you are at that point here is what you need to do.  Shut down your system, disconnect all other drives leaving just your OS drive.  Put in your OS CD/DVD and reboot.  Go to Repair Computer, then to Utilities and click fix boot up.  This should replace the MBR on your main drive and your system should boot up normally. Smiley

After successful reboot shut down once again and reconnect your other drives.

May the force be with you!!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print