Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How do use Ghost 12 to image pc and deploy to other identical pc's (Read 7931 times)
wwgraham
Ex Member

How do use Ghost 12 to image pc and deploy to other identical pc's
Jan 23rd, 2008 at 3:44pm

Hi,  I've just bought a copy of Norton Ghost 12 which I want to use it to take an image of a PC and deploy it to 6 identical others.  I'm unable to use the network to deploy the images and so will be using either an external USB hardidsk or DVD, whatever's best.  I've installed and looked at Norton,  I've also read the manual and the Radified guide but cannot figure what the most appropriate way to achieve this is.  Can anyone offer any guidance?

Many thanks in advance

Will

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: How do use Ghost 12 to image pc and deploy to other identical pc
Reply #1 - Jan 23rd, 2008 at 5:04pm

Will, this thead contains quite a bit of information on your question:  http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1136486359

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

wwgraham
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 3:40pm

Hi,  thanks for the tip but I had read this and unless I'm missing something it doesn't actually explain which options to select e.g. do I select "Copy My Hard Drive or One Time backup,  if Iit's teh former then this doesn't appear to offer boot options but if I choose the latter it doesn't seem to include the MBR e.g. ?

regards

Will

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #3 - Jan 24th, 2008 at 4:25pm

Wwgraham, Norton Ghost 12 does not have a “hardware independent restore” capability, and so deploying a single image onto multiple PCs may be problematical under any circumstance, even if the PCs are “identical”.  (ShadowProtect Desktop 3.1 by StorageCraft does have this feature, however.)

To clarify, the restore operation will work in the sense that you can deposit the image onto a new PC, but Windows might not boot - and, if it does, you probably will not be able to use it without entering a new product key and authenticating.  (Be sure you are in compliance with all software licenses as you proceed, of course.)

But, to answer your question, I would recommend creating an image of the system drive of PC #1 and simply restoring it onto PC #2, #3, etc.  Please review the sections “Running a One Time Backup” (page 50+) and “Recovering a computer” (page 131+) in the Norton Ghost 12.0 User's Guide.

Please post the results of your efforts, so that we can all benefit from your experience.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

kickin
N00b

I Love Radified!

USA

Re: How do use Ghost 12 to image pc and deploy to other identical pc's
Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 2:14pm

Quote:
Hi,  I've just bought a copy of Norton Ghost 12 which I want to use it to take an image of a PC and deploy it to 6 identical others.  I'm unable to use the network to deploy the images and so will be using either an external USB hardidsk or DVD, whatever's best.  I've installed and looked at Norton,  I've also read the manual and the Radified guide but cannot figure what the most appropriate way to achieve this is.  Can anyone offer any guidance?

Many thanks in advance

Will

I personally use "sysprep" from Microsoft to "generalize" my image once I get it the way I want. Once sysprep has been done, the system reboots, you capture the image, then apply it to the other systems.

my single image will work on several different makes and models of laptops (I have another one specifically to be used on several different desktops). i simply boot off of a network boot disc, launch the DOS ghost.exe file, send my image up, then can pull it down on the other systems.

This is all kind of a quick "how it's done" note so if you need some specific help, please reply back.

Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print