Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How I should partition and install software? (Read 21574 times)
logandiana
Ex Member

How I should partition and install software?
Jan 29th, 2008 at 10:53am

I have a couple of questions about partioning my hard drives. I have an 80gb 7200rpm and a 500gb 7200rpm drive. I read the article on the website about partitioning and how to partition the drives. I plan to partition my drives accordingly.  From the article is this excerpt:

(*1) - the first partition you create on a drive will automatically take the outer/leading/fastest edge. Here's a photo of a hard drive's intenals, for those of you who are visually-oriented:

My question is about how I load my software when taking into account the statement above. Does it matter which order I load my software?  For example lets say I have a partition dedicated to programs that I install whether it be the first partition of the disk or the second or whatever.

Then let's say I have 100 different programs that I want to install on this partition. Do I need to put my programs in order of what I need to run the fastest? Are programs installed on the disc laid out like partitions?... Each one taking the next outer most edge? Will the first program I install be closest to the outer portion of the partition and the last program I install be closest to the inner portion of the partition, thereby making the first program run faster than the last program? Is there any strategy to how or what order I load my programs?

Secondly, I plan to put my data (photos, movies, music) on the larger drive in one partition. Should I take this space down even further with separate partitions for photos, separate for music, etc? Or should I just keep all the data in the same partition?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Logan

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Question about how I should partition and install software....
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 12:40pm

Logan, an alternative approach to let a utility like Diskeeper 2008 Pro Premier – through its “Intelligent File Access Acceleration Sequencing Technology” capability – automatically detect which files are used most frequently, and position those files (whether operating system, application or data files) in the fastest areas of the disk.  In my opinion, this is much better than trying to guess what needs to reside where on the disk.

Note, however, that this IFAAST feature does not work if Volume Shadow Copy is enabled for the drive, as is done with Windows Vista Business, for example.

On your second question, it is a matter of personal preference – but I would keep all personal data on one drive (partition) but in separate folders.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 12:42pm

As far as which programs end up closer to the edge of your disc, it doesn't matter.  Technically, porgrams INSTALLED first should end up closer to the edge, but the speed difference you'll get from one program to the next is unnoticable.  Also, most good disc defragmenters can move the programs you use the most to the fastest areas of the disc for you.

As far as the second drive goes, its entirely up to you how you partition it.  Leaving it as one big partition means you have to plan ahead less.  Partititioning it means that you have to plan out how much space you'll need for each item - photos, music, ect.  The advantage is that smaller partitions can defragment faster.  Also, smaller partition ensure that one item doesn't squeeze out another - for example you won't accidently fill your drive with music and run out of space for phots because they are seperated.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 4:26pm

Order of programs installed will not be noticeable (tho theorectically those installed first will see faster STRs and quicker seeks).

Also consider gettin a faster drive, such as the 10K-rpm Raptor:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=190

.. to run all your performance-based files (o/s, apps, etc.)

.. while keeping the other drive(s) for storage (mp3's, photos, downloads, back-ups, pr0n)

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: How I should partition and install software?
Reply #4 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 6:30pm

Quote:
…the speed difference you'll get from one program to the next is unnoticeable

Although individuals may have different experiences on different PCs, in my case with a Windows XP SP2 system, I did see a pleasantly noticeable difference using the IFAAST technology from Diskeeper (which reported an 18% performance gain).  Subjectively, the applications appeared to “pop” more quickly when launched.  Very nice, indeed.

Rad’s point about a faster hard disk drive is a good one, too.  I’m now using 15K RPM SAS hard disk drives, and they are delightful (albeit expensive).

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Jan 29th, 2008 at 7:36pm

Quote:
I’m now using 15K RPM SAS hard disk drives, and they are delightful

u suk. Smiley

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 10:11am

Put your OS on a SATA2 hard drive (available from all vendors at the same price as an IDE drive) and keep it crapola free and you won't have to perform any gymnastics to have a great running computer.

Huge programs and suites like MS Office or Corel suites can be told to install on a second drive or partition, thus keeping thousands of files off of your OS drive.  That greatly simplifies drive maintenance on your OS drive and improves overall system performance.

Cheers Mates!
Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Amish.
Technoluster

Dude! (Rad in SeaMonkey)

Reply #7 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 1:46pm

TheShadow wrote on Mar 15th, 2008 at 10:11am:
Huge programs and suites like MS Office or Corel suites can be told to install on a second drive or partition, thus keeping thousands of files off of your OS drive.

That's what I do.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #8 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 6:20pm

Quote:
Huge programs and suites like MS Office or Corel suites can be told to install on a second drive or partition

This is true, but the technique is not without its problems.  A key concern is that the partition containing the operating system and the partition containing the installed software must both be backed up at the same time, in order to maintain a “synchronized set” of image backups that correctly captures the dependencies between the two.  Restoring just one of the two may be problematical.

As Symantec states, “If you have two or more drives that are dependent on each other, you should include both drives in the same backup. This provides the safest protection.”  (Norton Ghost 14 User's Guide, page 53)

Of course, if the application software is installed on the operating system partition, this issue disappears.  To my way of thinking, that's the best (i.e., "safest") approach.

IP Logged

Sunday_Afternoon
Gnarly

Long-time Radified lurker...

Reply #9 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 7:42pm

Pleonasm wrote on Jan 29th, 2008 at 6:30pm:
Although individuals may have different experiences on different PCs, in my case with a Windows XP SP2 system, I did see a pleasantly noticeable difference using the IFAAST technology from Diskeeper (which reported an 18% performance gain).  Subjectively, the applications appeared to “pop” more quickly when launched.  Very nice, indeed.

Rad’s point about a faster hard disk drive is a good one, too.  I’m now using 15K RPM SAS hard disk drives, and they are delightful (albeit expensive).

Windows Vista has a "pre-load" feature which is a logical extension of placing files where they can be accessed quickly. Commonly used programs are pre-loaded into memory by the OS so that when you fire up the program "load time" is minimised. http://members.rushmore.com/~jsky/id37.html

This is one of the reasons Vista should be run with at least 2GB of memory so many programs can benefit from this.

I'm suffering at the moment as my Vista machine has a failed memory stick and I am down to 1GB. 4 gigs are on their way to me - can't wait!!!

Sun pm

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 8:47pm

Pleonasm wrote on Mar 15th, 2008 at 6:20pm:
[quote]
As Symantec states, “If you have two or more drives that are dependent on each other, you should include both drives in the same backup. This provides the safest protection.”  (Norton Ghost 14 User's Guide, page 53)

Pleonasm,

I don't follow this advice. I have the kids' games installed in a separate partition and I only image this partition every 6 months or so. When we get a new game. The C: drive is imaged daily. I've restored both partitions at separate times and there are no problems.

All non games apps are in my C: drive.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #11 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 10:07am

Quote:
4 gigs are on their way to me

Unfortunately, Windows Vista (32-bit) typically cannot utilize more than 3 GB of memory, for reasons explained in this HP white paper:  What Happens when 3 GB or more RAM is installed with Windows?.

Quote:
I've restored both partitions at separate times and there are no problems

It was not my intention to imply that such a procedure would guarantee a problem, only that having an operating system partition “out of sync” with an application partition is “risky.”  For example, if you restore the OS partition to a point in time prior to the installation of a utility on the application partition, the utility very well may no longer be recognized the operating system – or, may operate improperly.  Such an approach, in my opinion, doesn’t seem to have a good return/risk ratio – but maybe I just more conservative in this respect than others.

IP Logged

Sunday_Afternoon
Gnarly

Long-time Radified lurker...

Reply #12 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 1:14pm

Pleonasm wrote on Mar 16th, 2008 at 10:07am:
Quote:
4 gigs are on their way to me

Unfortunately, Windows Vista (32-bit) typically cannot utilize more than 3 GB of memory, for reasons explained in this HP white paper:  What Happens when 3 GB or more RAM is installed with Windows?.

Good point - I should have noted that I have a 64-bit installation  Smiley

The addressable memory is a lot higher.

IP Logged

kodiak
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Mar 23rd, 2008 at 10:34am

Hello,

I am new to this board. I use CAD programs. I noticed that even though I  tell those programs to install into my "programs" partition they still install stuff -- like drawings etc. -- and lots of stuff into my c drive which is my OS partition. Then I noticed that a lot of programs installed bits and pieces into the c drive even though I told them to load themselves into the programs' partition. Now my c drive system partition is almost full. It's an 80GB drive with a 10GB system partition.

I"m thinking of starting all over and getting a new 160GB SATA drive and partitioning it with a 30GB system partition (c drive) and the rest for my applications. Is that a good way to go?

I noticed in the RAD guides to partitioning that a 25GB system partition was recommended. And "normal programs and apps" could be put in here, too. But what are normal programs and apps in this case? Office? AutoCAD? Acrobat?

I am confused and would appreciate any help and suggestions. Thank you.  Smiley

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #14 - Mar 23rd, 2008 at 11:27am

Partitioning is a personal thing, but most would agree 10 gigs (these days) is too small. Several years ago is was more than enough.

You can use Partition Magic to shrink the size of your other partition(s) and then enlarge your system partition.

Yes, all prgms you install add stuff to your /Windows directory, even when the main install-prgm is told to go into another partition.

If a prgm uses more than a single CD (~700 MB),I install it into another partition, other than my /Program Files on C drive.

You could lower this if you wanted .. to say .. 500 MB, or 400 MB.

For a short-term fix to reclaim some disk space, use this:

http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

.. altho I don't delete cookies (I remove the default check mark.)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print