HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Verifying Images (Read 2683 times)
Pleonasm
Übermensch

Verifying Images
Feb 9th, 2008 at 4:52pm

While it is undoubtedly wise to verify an image file after it has been created, I wonder:  has anyone ever had an image fail a verification operation immediately following its creation—whether that image was generated by Norton Ghost 2003, Norton Ghost 9/10/12, or another image backup utility?

Certainly, there have been cases of an image failing verification weeks or months after it was first created, due perhaps to file or media corruption; but, as a forum community, do we know of any such cases occurring immediately post-creation?

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Verifying Images
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2008 at 9:00am

Pleonasm

Of course, I can't speak for others--but in all of my personal imaging and testing--the only time I have had *errors* is setting up and initially running Ghost and having some sort of *incompatibility* (knock on wood!)--if Ghost loads and is willing to proceed with an image creation, I have never had an image verification (which I always perform!) failure afterwards!  That's saving images to internal HDDs, optical CD and DVD media, external HDDs (USB and Firewire), and USB flashdrives!

We have had posters who report failures in the middle of image creation--but, then obviously there will be no *Integrity* check of the failed creation!  Most of those issues are hardware/software incompatibilities--probably internal *timing* issues--many have been resolved by using *himem.sys* DOS memory manager.

Quote:
Certainly, there have been cases of an image failing verification weeks or months after it was first created, due perhaps to file or media corruption

I have never had an *old* image fail either--on any of the above media!

Curious--why the question?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Re: Verifying Images
Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2008 at 6:06pm

Quote:
I have never had an *old* image fail

That is my experience too, NightOwl.

I posted this question on the forum to see if these findings are generally true, because I have read comments on the ShadowProtect user forum from StorageCraft personnel that they have never heard of an image failing an integrity check immediately after its creation.  They have seen cases where an image fails a verify operation weeks or months later (maybe due to file or media corruption), but never immediately post-production.  As a consequence, their recommendation is to perform a verify operation on all saved images periodically, rather than to focus effort only the most recently created image.

This perspective seems to make sense to me, but it is contrary to how I have historically thought about the problem.  I’m beginning to doubt the wisdom of verifying every image immediately after it is created, and welcome the viewpoints of all on this question.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print