Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Search function disabled (Read 60463 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Search function disabled
Reply #15 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 1:23am

Rad

Hmmm...just thought things through a little bit more--I guess if the *Search* function was off all together--then the *Search Engines* couldn't be doing any searching either--but they were still here the whole time--so I guess it doesn't make any sense to try and restrict them--they appear *not* to be using the *Search* function--actually!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #16 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 12:20pm

Ya, but the fact remains that there are still more search engines using the forum than guests, so I'm sure they are having an impact.  Limiting them might be a good experiment to help us understand the resource usage.  Granted, it solves nothing in the end, since Rad has said he would rather move the site then limit the search engines for any extended period.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #17 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 11:19pm

There are usually more guests than SE's. Only rarely do # of SE's exceed guests. During normal business hours, # of guests seems highest.

Right now (Friday 9:30 PM) there are 33 guests. 9 SEs.

The most defining result would be > our usage drops to acceptable (for Shared) if we bar SE's. But I would still move the site .. than leave SE's banned.

That would be a nice data-point to have. But I don't want to exclude SE's and then have them mark our forums as "off-limits" .. not knowing when/if they'd return.

Just noticed this eve that Yahoo has scaled way back. They are usually here like rabbits. I'll ask LP for a usage number for today .. to see if (naturally) reduced SE's here are having a noticeable effect (even *with* the Search function re-enabled).

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #18 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 12:50am

Rad

Tonight at approx. 10:45 pm--Yahoo SE's are gone--and only 13 total SE's visiting the forum (I've been amazed--Google has just one--Yahoo has been up to 25-30 and Microsoft up to 15-20--how can Google use just one and the other guys have to use so many?!--how's your server usage now?!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #19 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 1:38am

It's 11:30 PM. I see 4 Yahoo Crawlers. Sent Lunarpages a query for server stats 2 hours ago. Still haven't heard back.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #20 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 2:54am

Quote:
CPU usage: 2.25
Memory usage: 1.63
MySQL usage: 0.0

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #21 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 9:03am

7am saturday. no yahoo crawlers. that's a first.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #22 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 10:01am

As I understand it from reading this thread, YABB structure is a large flat file, not a hierarchical or  indexed database.  So when a guest (or user) searches for an item, and selects "all posts", the search function must read ALL threads (the entire history of Rad forum) until it satisfies the 10 results or until it reaches the beginning of time date/thread (about 35,000 posts).  That's a lot of i/o and memory and cpu, not even counting how lengthy each post might be.

That's not a problem if you spell your search term correctly, but if you don't or you have a couple AND operatives, you easily cause yabb to read through everything.

Is this possibly a contributing factor?

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #23 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 10:06am

Ghost4me

I'm sure it is...but completely disabling the Search function only helped, but did not resolve the usage problems--so there must be something else going on--as well!

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #24 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 10:17am

NightOwl wrote on Feb 16th, 2008 at 10:06am:
I'm sure it is...but completely disabling the Search function only helped, but did not resolve the usage problems--so there must be something else going on--as well!

Other than relying on LP to provide their summary statistics, it will probably take some kind of internal YABB trace or YABB internal statistics to determine what is going on.  Maybe some YABB support or expert can help.  I doubt that this board is the first or only one to question how resources are being consumed.

Interesting problem; sorry I don't have any solutions, just theories.  I looked this morning and there were 35 guests, so I just assumed they were all searching and reading, since they obviously weren't posting.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #25 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 11:34am

Then there's the possibility that they are feeding me padded numbers .. since money is at stake. (Higher resource usage leads to pricier hosting plans.)

Note that I don't have access to their reporting module. I only get what they give me. So the process is far from transparent and not without incentive for them to inflate the numbers.

It also raised my eyebrows when one of their tech sppt ppl started offering me pricing deals, telling me what it would cost to go different paths .. when I had already had these discussions with their Sales people .. and the sppt guy was giving me way-costlier numbers than I got from the Sales people.

And they've given me some strange results .. such as one report claiming PHP was one of my top processes. When I questioned it, they later claimed the report was inaccurate. (Guess so, since I don't use PHP.)

.. and another claiming the *.ico (tiny icon graphic) was also a top process. I twice asked them about that, but they still have never responded to my queries.. made like they never heard my question.

Just last night they sent me a report with another site's domain name ( bernos.org ) .. only to say later that the stats were accurate, but the domain name was not.

So the process has been less-than-perfect, .. and note that we received no usage complaints back in June .. when we had record traffic here at the forums (nearly 300).

When I recently began to discuss the process to upgrade to a VPS acct, LP told me our usage exceeds their guidelines for VPS, and that I needed a dedicated server. So something about this fails the smell test.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #26 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 12:11pm

Well, lots of "facts" being thrown out there.  As you correctly said, "Who to believe?".  It may not have anything to do at all with search and can easily be some other completely unrelated problem--even a problem on the SERVER end , or how user clients are handled, and nothing to do with the rad forum.  Or some quirky yabb setting.

It's easier to tell a customer "just get a faster pc" or "just upgrade to xyz..." than to delve into the real problem.

Be vigilant.  Trust no one.   Smiley

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #27 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 1:40pm

Yahoo! crawlers are back (noon). I see 27 .. out of 44 total SE's.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #28 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 4:25pm

Here's another oddity:

Quote:
---- TECH RESPONSE STARTS HERE ----

Dear Customer,

Since the stats numbers are averages for the day, it is better to wait 24 hours in order to see if the changes reduced the load. Please reply to this ticket in 24hrs so we can check your account usage.

If you have any questions we will gladly assist you. Thank you for the cooperation.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

It's like they don't want you to have too much information. Weird, huh? Certainly more data points can't *hurt*. (Or can they?)

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #29 - Feb 17th, 2008 at 8:47am

Is it possible we are blaming search engines where the problem is somewhere else?

Very quiet this morning and yet I saw 5 second delay just getting from Home to Ghost 10 board; of course yabb that would have to display the 20 thread titles, but that's all.  There are few users/guests and even fewer search engines using forum:

Members: 3
Amish., Rad.Test, NightOwl
Guests: 21
Search Engines: 10
Yahoo! Crawler (1), Microsoft Live Search (9)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print