Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 10 with Live Update faulty (Read 7424 times)
tallin
Radmeister

Learning each day

Australia

Ghost 10 with Live Update faulty
Feb 12th, 2008 at 3:57pm

I have Norton Ghost  10.0
Version: 10.0.3.20387

However on 22nd August 2007 I noticed that the icon was no longer showing in my systems tray near the clock.

Having had help from Brian much earlier on this forum I followed that advice and uninstalled and reinstalled Ghost.  All was well until 28th January 2008, the same happening again.

Then yesterday (12/02/2008)  the same again.  So of course another uninstall and reinstall, but this time the icon did not appear nor would live update work, telling me my installation was a Beta version and was no longer supported.

Ghost appears to be working well as I have put a shortcut into my taskbar for easy opening to check the settings.

Is there an answer to this problem?  (I have taken all steps advised last time I requested help from this forum) but this time to no avail.

Do I have to purchase an update for my Ghost Software to make Live Update work?

I am attaching the error showing when I try to update Live Update.

kind regards,

PS.  Here is the http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1179994561 when I had this very same problem last time.

tallin    Norton Ghost 12

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 10 with Live Update faulty
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 1:44am

tallin

I'm not sure, but perhaps Ghost 10 is now considered an *Archived* older version--for instance Ghost 2003 is no longer supported, but with a newer version of LiveUpdate--users who install the original from the installation CD and do not get the last, most recent build if their installation CD is older--can now update their older build to the latest build.

Make sure you have the most recent version of LiveUpdate--and see if the needed update is available from the *archive* server:  

LiveUpdate for Ghost 2003--It's available through a special process!

How to obtain the programs updates that are archived on Symantec LiveUpdate server

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

tallin
Radmeister

Learning each day

Australia

Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 2:06pm

NightOwl.

Thanks for you reply.

After posting to you when I rebooted for another matter, the Ghost Icon was back in systems tray.  I then followed the links you kindly supplied above .

If I run Live Update with Symantec-Archive in the drop down menu I am told all the components are up to date.

If I run Live Update with Symantec-Live in the dropdown menu, I get the same error messages as in the attachment in my first post.

Any ideas..........thanks

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 3:13pm

tallin

Darn--hoped that either the archive server or just the updated LiveUpdate would solve your issue!

As much as it can be frustrating--you might want to do a *Live-Chat* or email with Symantec's support to see if they can suggest a solution:  http://www.symantec.com/norton/support/productdetail/contact_ts.jsp?pvid=nghost_...

Hmmm....but, looks like they do not offer LiveChat for Ghost 10 anymore--could try to see if they will help.

You might also have to use *Norton Removal Tool*--this will remove (almost) all of the Norton products so you can start over--but you need to have your installation CD's or programs and product keys available to re-install:  http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/sharedtech.nsf/0/8fc64b0957b89081882570ce00...

You might want to research that tool more before using to make sure you want to go forward and have what it takes to re-install and start over!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 3:32pm

tallin,

I wouldn't be concerned. Your Ghost 10 works and I don't think my Ghost 10 worked any better after the Update. I remove the icon from the System Tray with all Ghosts and that's not a problem either.

By all means try and fix it but don't lose any sleep.

IP Logged

tallin
Radmeister

Learning each day

Australia

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 3:37pm

Quote:
Tallin wrote in first post
Then yesterday (12/02/2008)  the same again.  So of course another uninstall and reinstall, but this time the icon did not appear nor would live update work, telling me my installation was a Beta version and was no longer supported.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled over the time noted in my first post.  As for doing a Live Chat with Symantec, I have done that also before ever posting to Radifield Forum.  I was not impressed as all they wanted me to do was buy! buy! buy!

Do you think as the icon is in the Systems tray now, Ghost is working well, why do I need anymore updates of the software Ghost 10.  I will wait for your reply, before going back to the supplier that sold the software to me, and luckily installed it initially onto the removable internal HD.

I don't mind buying an update, but as I bought Ghost 10 outright I was not aware I would need to update the software as months go on.

Your comments appreciated.

kind regards,

IP Logged

tallin
Radmeister

Learning each day

Australia

Reply #6 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 3:43pm

Brian wrote on Feb 13th, 2008 at 3:32pm:
tallin,

I wouldn't be concerned. Your Ghost 10 works and I don't think my Ghost 10 worked any better after the Update. I remove the icon from the System Tray with all Ghosts and that's not a problem either.

By all means try and fix it but don't lose any sleep.

...  Brian,

My post to NightOwl crossed with yours coming in.  Thanks for it.

Would you also comment on my question:

Quote:
I don't mind buying an update, but as I bought Ghost 10 outright I was not aware I would need to update the software as months go on.

kind regards,

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 4:01pm

tallin wrote on Feb 13th, 2008 at 3:43pm:

You are just being offered a free update. Just like any other purchased software.

As Ghost 10 works for you I wouldn't suggest you upgrade to a newer version unless you want the extra features. Which I doubt you need.

IP Logged

tallin
Radmeister

Learning each day

Australia

Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2008 at 8:04pm

Brian wrote on Feb 13th, 2008 at 4:01pm:
tallin wrote on Feb 13th, 2008 at 3:43pm:

You are just being offered a free update. Just like any other purchased software.

As Ghost 10 works for you I wouldn't suggest you upgrade to a newer version unless you want the extra features. Which I doubt you need.

Thanks Brian, you made my day with the above post.

kind regards,

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print