Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Combining Ghost image segments (Read 20545 times)
Leo
Dude

I Love Radified!

Massachusetts

Combining Ghost image segments
Feb 14th, 2008 at 1:35pm

I have created a bootable dvd to and copied the three segments of the ghost image onto it.  The only "problem" I have is that I have to watch the restore as it needs me to point to the next image.  How can I make this automatic or combine the three segments into one image.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Combining Ghost image segments
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2008 at 3:48pm

Leo

You are the third person in about as many months that has reported a similar issue--and I'm not sure we have found the main cause for this failure.

I would like to attempt to repeat the process so as to see if I too have the same problem.

1.  What version and build of Ghost are you using?

2. How are you creating the three Ghost image files--i.e. what procedure and how are you controlling the size of the images?

3.  What boot disk are you using to make the DVD bootable?

4.  What burning program are you using to create the bootable DVD?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Leo
Dude

I Love Radified!

Massachusetts

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 6:01am

You said you want to create the same "error".  We do not feel this is an error but an inconvience as someone has to watch the loading of the image with takes about 35 minutes.

We are using version 8.2.  We have a network with approx 1500 computers.  We create a "gold" image on a pc then use Ghost to create an image on our server which creates three segments.  Two of which are 2 gig and the third with 360 Mb.  When new computers come in we use a floppy boot disk to pull the image off of the server.  The newer computers now are coming in without floppy drives.  We use the floppy created by Ghost boot wizard and Roxio v7 to create a boot CD then pull from the server.  Until now this has been fine but we are getting ready to receive approx 400 new computers.  So we have now created a bootable DVD using the same floppy and putting all three segments on it.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 9:20am

Leo

Quote:
You said you want to create the same "error".

But....I didn't say *error*!!!!

Quote:
Leo

You are the third person in about as many months that has reported a similar issue--and I'm not sure we have found the main cause for this failure.

I would like to attempt to repeat the process so as to see if I too have the same problem.

I do consider it a *failure*, because my spanned image files on optical media find the next segment without having to wait, watch, and then direct Ghost to the next segment!

Quote:
We create a "gold" image on a pc

I assume this means a baseline system, that is *syspreped* for deployment.  Then, either you boot locally with Ghost and *push* an image to the networked server--or use Ghost Console to *pull* an image to the server--creating the 3 segment image set on the server's HDD--with the first file having a *.gho* extension, and the other two with a *.ghs* file extension.

Quote:
We use the floppy created by Ghost boot wizard and Roxio v7 to create a boot CD then pull from the server.

So we have now created a bootable DVD using the same floppy and putting all three segments on it.

The devil is always in the details!!!  Which boot floppy from the Wizard?

Last time I heard, Ghost 8.2 is too large to fit on a single floppy--along with the boot files--so it must be a two floppy boot set--how are you managing that when creating the bootable DVD?

Are you *automating* the bootable DVD, using a command line to restore the template image to the new system without user intervention?

A list of boot files, plus the contents of [config.sys] and [autoexec.bat] would be helpful to understand the setup.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

Leo
Dude

I Love Radified!

Massachusetts

Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 9:33am

Sorry, I misread your previous response.  In ver 7.5 Ghost Exporer can divide an image, can it also combine images?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 9:50am

Leo

No problem!  

Ghost 8.2's Ghost Explorer can do the same as Ghost 7.5--but, I think it was Ghost 8.3 that came out with the ability to create image files larger than the DOS limited size of approx. 2 GBs.

But, I'm not sure a larger, single file on DVD will be compatible--even if using Ghost 8.3 or above--the DVD file system may not support that larger size along with Ghost and DOS!  Those larger or single file images may have to be placed on a HDD rather than optical media to work.

In Ghost Explorer, you would go to the menu item *View > Options*, and specify the size for Ghost segments--*2048* is the max for pre-version 8.3, if I'm not mistaken--you will get an error message if you try a larger, unsupported size.  

Then load your image file set into Ghost Explorer, and go to the menu item *File > Compile ...*.  You will probably be asked to select a location and new file name for the image set.  

IP Logged

Leo
Dude

I Love Radified!

Massachusetts

Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 9:55am

I have the three segments on my dvd so if I can combine these on my server using ghost explore that I do not see why I could not copy the new 4.4 gig image to the dvd.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 10:05am

Leo

In Windows, a 4.4 gig file is supported on a DVD!  But, in DOS--using DOS Ghost!!!???--it may work, but I have no personal experience with that--so I don't know!  Give it a try!!!  Let us know!

But, you have Ghost 8.2--and not 8.3!  If my memory serves--Ghost 8.2 will not support the larger file size--regardless!

IP Logged

Leo
Dude

I Love Radified!

Massachusetts

Reply #8 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 10:07am

where can I get a trial version of 8.3 so I can try it?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 10:11am

Leo

If you have a site license for Ghost 8.2--you would use the LiveUpdate for your Ghost installation!  You should be *eligible* for at least v8.3--but, probably not the latest v11.x.

Ghost 8.x is still supported, but no longer available for purchase or trial downloads.  You can probably get a trial version of Ghost 11.x--but, it will probably have some limitations as to its functions:  

Symantec's Ghost Solution Suite 2.0 Info Page

IP Logged

Leo
Dude

I Love Radified!

Massachusetts

Reply #10 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 10:18am

Tried that and it said I have the most recent version.  I have version 8.2.0.1117.  I also tried to find version 8.3 as a trialware on symantic with no luck.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 15th, 2008 at 11:49pm

NightOwl wrote on Feb 15th, 2008 at 9:50am:
But, I'm not sure a larger, single file on DVD will be compatible--even if using Ghost 8.3 or above--the DVD file system may not support that larger size along with Ghost and DOS!  Those larger or single file images may have to be placed on a HDD rather than optical media to work.

Yup, correct. There's no way (until we get funding to build a UDF filesystem driver into Ghost - which is a possibility, for future Blu-Ray/HD-DVD media, but not before GSS3.0 at the earliest) to do this because the ISO 9660 filesystem that MSCDEX (and Ghost) uses has a 2Gb limit.

The "native" filesystem for CDs is ISO 9660, which the MSCDEX add-in for DOS provides a reader for. For larger-capacity media you can use ISO 9660, but to bypass things like the 2Gb limit (and to deal efficiently for the various oddities of the -R, +R, -RW, +RW DVD media) a different filesystem design called UDF is used and there is no reader for DOS for it.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #12 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 9:00am

Leo

Quote:
Tried that and it said I have the most recent version.  I have version 8.2.0.1117.

Well, I don't know why LiveUpdate doesn't update to 8.3--maybe that update required an upgrade license?!

Could post a question about that over at the GSS forum:  Symantec Ghost Solution Suite (GSS) support forum

Or, do you maintain a support contract with Symantec?

Probably the fastest way to resolve the issue is to hook up a DVD optical writer that's known to be compatible with DOS Ghost to your *gold* system, as well as a floppy drive.  Create the floppy drive you wish to use for booting the DVD, either boot from that floppy--or if not appropriate--boot from whatever floppy is needed.  Then load Ghost, and use Ghost's built-in ability to store an image to optical media.  Tell Ghost you want to make the DVD bootable when asked, and when Ghost asks for the boot floppy--put the appropriate floppy disk in.

Edited:
2/16/2008 @ approx. 11:00 pm--If you want the *ghost.exe* placed on the data portion of the above bootable DVD, you should use this command line switch to load Ghost:  ghost.exe -ghostoncd

If you control what drive letter is assigned to the optical drive in DOS, and add a path statement to the root directory of the optical drive when a data DVD is present--then the above switch places *ghost.exe* in the root directory of the DVD (along with the Ghost image files), and any Ghost command lines on your boot floppy that is copied to the hidden boot sector of the DVD will find that *ghost.exe* on the DVD!

You should now have a bootable DVD and spanned image files that should be able to detect the next one in the file set--any luck with that?

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 5:26pm

NightOwl wrote on Feb 16th, 2008 at 9:00am:
Well, I don't know why LiveUpdate doesn't update to 8.3--maybe that update required an upgrade license?!

Yup, Ghost Solution Suite 1.0 to 1.1 was (mostly) a paid update. There are a lot of options for buyers of corporate products - some purchase options get you future updates, some don't. The simple pricing shown on e.g. websites doesn't cover that kind of deal, though.

Basically, only changes in the third version digit are free updates. One of the complicated factors in assigning version numbers is that all kinds of folks conflate the various elements. So our LiveUpdates for GSS to 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 are being called by some folks 2.1 and 2.2, which they aren't. Still, it means that we pretty much have no option but to call the next version 2.5

Anyway, the main thing is that to get >2Gb files on optical media in DOS isn't going to happen. You would have to format the DVD using the UDF filesystem, and then run Ghost32 from a Windows PE boot disk to read it using the UDF filesystem support in that. If he has GSS1.0 (aka Ghost Enterprise 8.2) then Ghost32 should be there and so Windows PE is an option.

IP Logged

Leo
Dude

I Love Radified!

Massachusetts

Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 7:09am

All right I can live with three segments of an image but is there a way to make ghost automatic rather than me having to point to each segment?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print