Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
CPU Fan Error During Boot (Read 21919 times)
thorin
Technoluster

Novice

Dallas, Texas

CPU Fan Error During Boot
Mar 6th, 2008 at 7:46pm

I built Le Black Beast a couple/three years ago.  I have a dual core processor; so, it has a CPU fan.  Well, like an idiot, I decided to blow out the interior of the case with canned air (at least I didn't use my compressor set on 90 lbs).  You guessed it, I must have done something with the fan on the CPU because every time I boot up cold, after the IDE scan, I get 4 beeps and the message "CPU Fan Error!, Press F1 to resume".  Hit F1 and everything is fine.  SpeedFan indicates the CPU temperature is withing parameters and the fan on the CPU works - I have checked it with the side off the case.

This is only a minor annoyance, but I would be thankful if anybody could tell me how to fix the problem.

Thanks

thorin

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: CPU Fan Error During Boot
Reply #1 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 8:38pm

thorin

Have you tried unplugging and re-plugging in the connector for the CPU fan into its socket?

On SpeedFan--are you getting RPM readings for the fan?  Are they in the normal range specified for the fan,--or low?

BIOS--under *PC Health* or something similar--see if you can turn off the CPU fan speed monitor and/or set the speed under which you get a warning.

Replace the fan with an equivalent new one!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #2 - Mar 6th, 2008 at 9:28pm

Is the fan spinning?  As long as its spinning, you should be fine.  You might have just damaged the sensor in BIOS when the compressed air spun the fan.

IP Logged

thorin
Technoluster

Novice

Dallas, Texas

Reply #3 - Mar 7th, 2008 at 3:51am

Thanks guys!

thorin

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #4 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 7:13pm

Check the wiring on the fan.  You may have loosened the third wire that sends RPM readings to the cpu.

Canned air really isn't the best thing to use when cleaning a computer.  It does more to blow dirt into places it doesn't belong than anything else.  Undecided

At least twice a year, I remove my CPU fan and heatsink and then separate the two.  I gingerly clean the blades of the fan and then inject a few drops of high grade oil into the bearing cavity on the back of the fan, with a hypodermic needle.
Then the heatsink gets a good scrubbing at the kitchen sink.  A little soap and water works miracles in maintaining the efficiency of the heatsink. 
During reassembly, I apply a new coating of heat sink grease.

This bit of TLC keeps my fans working efficiently, year after year.
I just revitalized a heatsink and fan I put into a PC in the year 2000.  It was getting noisey, but now it runs like the day I first installed it, eight years ago.

Good Luck to ya!

The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

thorin
Technoluster

Novice

Dallas, Texas

Reply #5 - Mar 8th, 2008 at 10:06pm

I decided to purchase a new CPU fan.

thorin

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #6 - Mar 9th, 2008 at 8:50am

Grin Grin Grin
Well, that works too.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2008 at 2:16am

thorin

Let us know the results of your efforts!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

thorin
Technoluster

Novice

Dallas, Texas

Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 10:39pm

Will do!  Received it today, will probably install this weekend.  Need to go to Fry's and get some thermal grease (or whatever it is called).

What is the best way to clean the top of the CPU to get the old grease off?

Thanks

thorin

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #9 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 7:33am

A paper towel should wipe it off just fine.  Modern processors have a metal block than encases the actual CPU die, so its not all that sensitive to cleaning procedures.  Just don't use excessive pressure.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #10 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 9:10am

thorin

So, replacing the CPU cooling fan on your system requires re-mounting the CPU as well--must be an Intel CPU?!  My AMD system (it's older) has the heat sink attached separately from the fan--so I can remove it for cleaning the heat sink fins without disrupting the seal.

I use *Arctic Silver*.  They have a good tutorial here: Route to Product Instructions for Arctic Silver 5

Quote:
CPU Core: For optimum cleaning use ArctiClean 1 and 2. For adequate
cleaning use high-purity isopropyl alcohol or acetone
and a bit of careful
rubbing. Do not use nail polish remover as it contains fragrance oils and other
contaminants. (If you use acetone, do a final cleaning with high-purity
isopropyl alcohol
.)

This is what I have done the last few times--seems to work great!

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #11 - Mar 13th, 2008 at 1:17pm

NightOwl wrote on Mar 13th, 2008 at 9:10am:
So, replacing the CPU cooling fan on your system requires re-mounting the CPU as well--must be an Intel CPU?!  My AMD system (it's older) has the heat sink attached separately from the fan--so I can remove it for cleaning the heat sink fins without disrupting the seal.

It just depends on the CPU cooler.  Some ship with a standard fan screwed on to the heatsink.  Some use a non-standard fan or somehow integrate the fan into the heatsink.  With the second type, you have to replace the entire CPU cooler rather than just the fan.

I have to second the Arctic Silver.  It's never failed me.  Arctic Alumina is slightly cheaper and nearly as effective, so that's something to consider as well.

IP Logged

thorin
Technoluster

Novice

Dallas, Texas

After Fan Replacement, CPU Will Not Boot
Reply #12 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 7:17pm

Ok, got some Arctic Silver; took the old fan off, cleaned the top of the Intel CPU with the two part Arctic cleaner.  Put a very thin coat of Artic Silver on the top of the CPU; re-installed CPU (because of notches, it will only install one way); install new fan on top of the CPU and attach it to the motherboard.  Turn on power, all fans start turning; monitor is on for around 30 seconds (on meaning green light is on) then sign comes on the monitor saying it is going to sleep.  Light on monitor goes yellow; fans continue blowing, but the computer never even begins to boot up (can't start up in safe mode).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  The only thing I can think of is that somehow I shorted out the CPU and it is now trash?  Before I go get a new CPU, anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks

thorin

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #13 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 12:15am

That suks.

I didn't read b4 whether or not the fan was spinning. If not, you might've overheated/cooked CPU.

You kinda have nothing to lose.

Try yanking it one more time and apply a little more grease. A blob the size of a grain of rice in middle/center, and 4 smaller blobs near each corner. You need 100% coveage.

If that don't work .. it sounds like new-CPU time.

Does srtic silver come with instructions? What instructions are you using?

Sounds like the beast served you well for several years.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #14 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 2:53am

Try re-seating you CPU, memory, and graphics card.  Double check all the important wires inside, especially the power supply wiring harness that connects to the motherboard.  I almost always knock something loose when I mess around inside the case.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print