Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 14 - continued (Read 28316 times)
Bill Wood
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Villanova, PA

Re: Norton Ghost 14 - continued
Reply #15 - Mar 26th, 2008 at 4:38pm

Pleonasm wrote on Mar 26th, 2008 at 8:08am:
Quote:
…it is the first time that NG has even licensed the provider technology from Storagecraft…

Actually, Symantec licensed and used the StorageCraft Volume Snapshot Driver years ago, beginning with Norton Ghost 9, and it is also present in version 10 and version 12, too.

The confusion here, I believe, is due to the fact that the StorageCraft driver can be used with or without VSS (see section 2.2 of the ShadowProtect Desktop Edition 3.1 User Guide).  As noted previously, VSS is a characteristic of the operating system and not of Norton Ghost or ShadowProtect.

We know from previous posts that NG10 and NG12 are not using the Storagecraft provider because it is not listed under "vssadmin list providers".   Also, while running NG10 I have verified that even MS VSS is not being used by doing a "vssadmin list shadows" while doing a backup and none are listed, whereas they are listed when running NG14 and Shadowprotect.  I am doubtful that NG12 is using any shadow sets either since it does not have the Storagecraft provider.  I don't understand what pre-NG14 versions of NG are doing when it says that it creates a snapshot of the volume, as no snapshots are listed.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #16 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 12:18pm

Quote:
We know from previous posts that NG10 and NG12 are not using the StorageCraft provider because it is not listed under "vssadmin list providers"

While Norton Ghost 9, 10 and 12 are not using the StorageCraft Volume Snapshot Driver (symsnap.sys) in a VSS provider mode, they are nonetheless using the StorageCraft Volume Snapshot Driver itself.  The confusion in our discussion, Bill, may be due to the fact that the StorageCraft Volume Snapshot Driver can operate with or without VSS.  In Norton Ghost 9, 10 and 12, the driver was used without VSS; in Norton Ghost 14, it is used with VSS.

To verify that previous editions of Norton Ghost used the StorageCraft Volume Snapshot Driver, please see this thread (especially Reply #9).

To understand more about the StorageCraft Volume Snapshot Driver and its architectural and functional relationship to VSS, please see:  Volume Snapshot Driver and VSS

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Bill Wood
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Villanova, PA

Reply #17 - Apr 8th, 2008 at 9:03am

Yes I was aware they used the Storagecraft driver in previous versions.

That second thread you posted was very informative.  I was confused and thought that MS also had a VSS software provider, but the article makes it clear that the MS provider is a system provider and that Storagecraft is providing the software provider.

So, now that NG14 is using VSS via the Storagecraft provider, it should be more robust than earlier versions in doing hot backups, eg it should be able to back up Exchange, Oracle, etc.

In my mind, this means that NG14 and ShadowProtect are pretty much on the same level in terms of hot-backup reliability and robustness, so the remaining factors which would cause one to choose one over the other would be in the area of features, eg ShadowProtect's ability to do  differential backups etc.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #18 - Apr 8th, 2008 at 11:51am

Bill Wood wrote on Apr 8th, 2008 at 9:03am:
this means that NG and ShadowProtect are pretty much on the same level in terms of hot-backup reliability and robustness

Interesting.

IP Logged

Cupu
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 1:54am

Hi All,

I want to ask about Norton Ghost 14. I'm a newbie, and want to ask about the product. Do we have to install NG14 in the computer we want to make the image? As I know, NG2005 doesn't need to install, we can use a bootable CD and create the image via the interface, but there is a problem with my computer. I don't know why, maybe because I'm using DVD ROM, not CD ROM so it only boot. My question is, can I create the image (and also restore) the image without installing NG14?

Thanks before Smiley

IP Logged

Bill Wood
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Villanova, PA

Reply #20 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 12:34pm

You need to install it.  The whole point of NG14 is it can do hot backups.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print