Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 direct connect with a NAS Drive (Read 13582 times)
Wolf
Ex Member

Ghost 2003 direct connect with a NAS Drive
Mar 10th, 2008 at 11:26am

Hello,
I'm hoping someone here may have a better understanding than I do on working with Ghost 2003. I have been using it for a while and recently all of my ghost files have given me Error: 437. All of my files are sent across my network. These files worked for over 2 years before suddenly deciding to give me this error.
I am trying to see if there might be a way that I can take the network out of the equation. I had problems with going directly through a USB drive (the drivers wouldn't work, they never identified the usb) so now I have a NAS drive and I am trying to get Ghost to identify it by having it plugged directly into the computer RJ-45 network port.
Does anyone know how to set up the Ghost boot disk so it will look for the NAS drive and this way I can verify if all of the ghost files I have ever had have miraculously become corrupt, or if something else on my network is simply destroying the transfer?
Any help that can be offered is truly appreciated. Thanks!
-Wolf

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Re: Ghost 2003 direct connect with a NAS Drive
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 2:57pm

here is a ghost Peer to peer bootable floppy /bootable cd
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=14127&pid=104967&mode=threaded&...

there is more tips on that long post some people think it is useful as
so far 67,000 people have read it !!!!!
PS
ghost 2003 Cd is bootable  and can see lots of drives see if it sees your HDD

I am not an expert so see what the regular experts say
regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

Wolf
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 9:27am

Thanks for the info, I am going to have to do a little more research on it, as the last couple times that I have tried to create a CD boot for this system it had to span a bunch of CD's. The drive is pretty large and for some reason 2003 didn't seem to like making a back up of only the Data portion of the drive, it preferred to try to back up the entire thing... 80 gig backed even with ghost compression can span quite a bit.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 9:45am

Wolf

Quote:
now I have a NAS drive and I am trying to get Ghost to identify it by having it plugged directly into the computer RJ-45 network port.

I have no experience with NAS drives--but, does it present itself the same way a system would look when hooked up to a network?

If so, seems like it would work with the *Drive mapping boot disk* from the Ghost Boot Wizard.  If it does not show up like a drive on another system hooked to a network--then I'm not sure what the access procedure would be!

Quote:
I had problems with going directly through a USB drive (the drivers wouldn't work, they never identified the usb)

There may be other solutions you could try:  A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Wolf
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 12:58pm

NightOwl -
Yes it does appear the same way as system would when it is plugged into a network port. The issue is I can't simply hook it into the network, by doing so it has the same issues as I have trying to access the ghost files across the network, the connection is instantly terminated around 9 minutes into the ghosting process (either uploading or downloading). I am trying to convince the computer that it is another computer by using a crossover cable.

I tried the USB driver set up that you sent me to, I'm still running into an issue that I ran into with a few other USB drivers, because the computer I am working with doesn't have any PS2 ports there appears to be a problem when other USB drivers load, the Panasonic drivers don't seem to work at all, but I found another USB driver set that found the drive the reason it doesn't work for me is as soon as the USB drivers load they unload the drivers that the keyboard and mouse are working off of and they don't reconnect.
This has been a pretty perplexing situation.

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #5 - Mar 17th, 2008 at 3:14pm

80 Gb is a large number to do it with DOS base ghost.exe
I would suggest Acronis 11 or if any body has Seagate Hardisk
or maxtor (seagate ownes Maxtor) a free version of Acronis
True Image 10 is available Here:
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=20220
it only works if you have one of their hard disk on your system
or in an external HDD
I bought a 750 MB   Maxtor so I can use the Acronis true image
as it has a BART PE plugin .
if you are not familiar to Bart PE
go to UBCD4WIN web site and down load and make a Bootable CD
and they have other free cloning and imaging software free
such as Drive Image XML
I realy like Acronis software as they seem to be very helpful
and provide a Bart PE plug in with their software
which helps put it on a UBCD4WIN bootable CD.
or one can make a GUI bootable CD for recovery.
the only situation that Ghost.exe is still useful
is the way DELL  still use it to put a large XP image on
to a large FAT 32 Hidden Partition and boot to that partition pressing F11 through a Boot manager (such as IMB bootMGR)
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=14127&pid=111856&mode=threaded&...

as described in one of the links above.
I tried to partition my external 750 Mb external hard disk
and added a 10 GB fat32 partition on it .
DOS driver on that floppy saw it but when I executed the ghost.exe
it froze and did not like it one bit .
My advise to you is either change to Acronis 11
or ghost 12
I personally think Acronis is better with external large USB hard Disks.
and it has BART PE plugin
Regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print