Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cloning entire HD w/ Ghost 12 (1 partition at a time?) (Read 4133 times)
alexandre
Ex Member

Cloning entire HD w/ Ghost 12 (1 partition at a time?)
Mar 11th, 2008 at 5:31pm

Dear friends,

I purchased Ghost 12 and having a difficulty. Instead of allowing us to clone Disk1 to Disk2 (one operation only), like in previous versions I once knew, in version 12 we have to clone one partition at a time.

My problem: I have a 120 GB HD which I want to clone to a new, larger HD, brand new, unallocated space. I know that after cloning C: (w/ Windows XP SP2) it's necessary to shut off the computer and do NOT allow Windows to boot seeing both C:'s (i.e, C: on the old and C: on the new HD).

Then, How can I proceed and clone the other partitions from my old HD (D,E,F), if I have to shut down the computer after cloning the first partition (C), remove the old HD from slave, install the new HD as master, boot into Windows and... I'll have  a C: and a lot of unallocated space... and my partitions D, E, F, will be on an HD which is NOT installed on the computer ...

I have thought of proceeding by,

1) now installing the old HD as a slave and proceed with cloning D, E, F (which, actually will have other letters, probably E, F, G).

2) To avoid this second installation (reversing HDs) I also thought of start the cloning procedure from the old (master) to the new HD (slave) starting with F, then E, then D and finally C, when I'll shut down the computer; but will F go to the end of the disk?, E, just before F? D just before E and finally C: on its right place in the beginning of the disk?

3) I also thought of partitioning the new HD into 4 partitions (which is unnecessary with Ghost) and clone in the reverse order, F to the last partition on the new HD, E to the third..., D to the second, C to the first...

I would appreciate your commends, guidance and hints. Thanks.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Cloning entire HD w/ Ghost 12 (1 partition at a time?)
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 12:45pm

You've stumbled upon one of the shortcomings of Ghost xx software that I have complained about in the past:  the inability to perform a complete clone of the ENTIRE hard drive (all partitions) all at once.

One way to accomplish this is to create backup images (not clones) of each and all partitions onto an external usb2 or firewire hard drive.

I am guessing that you will want to enlarge some of the partitions during the restore process.  For that you will need a separate program such as Norton Partition Magic 8 or similar product (there are several other good ones as well).

Basic strategy might be something like this:
1. Take backup image of c, d, e, f, to usb2 hard drive.  Be sure verify option is checked during G12 backup.
2. Shut down pc
3. Remove old hard drive (set it aside for safety/backup), install new one as master.
4. Boot from Ghost 12 emergency boot cd.  Restore c: partition backup-image-file from usb2 hard drive to your new blank hard drive and make it bootable.
5. Boot your new c: drive and make sure everything looks ok.
6. Use PM8 to enlarge your c: partition to size you want.
7. After that looks ok, then restore d: partition using G12 and resize it with PM8.
8. repeat for e: and f:

Another possibility is look for utility from your HD manufacturer.  Some have HD copy utilities on their website that allow you to clone AND enlarge/resize onto new drive all in one step!!  Note, some of these will automatically proportionately enlarge all partitions during cloning, or let you manually choose new partition sizes.  Nice feature!

An alternate product that also does this (clone plus resize) which I've used is Paragon Partition Manager.
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-personal/

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 3:57pm

Note that you only need to image/clone your system drive. Non-system drives can easily be back-up (copied) via more traditional methods, such as simple drag-n-drop via Windows explorer.

So you can clone/image your system drive, and then back-up/copy the rest via a regular explorer copy.

IP Logged

alexandre
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 12th, 2008 at 8:34pm

Thanks a lot, to you two.
Regards,

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print