Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Won't recognize Ghost image. (Read 13905 times)
micman
Ex Member

Won't recognize Ghost image.
Mar 15th, 2008 at 12:22am

I just built a DVD according to NightOwl's guide and it boots all the way to choosing the image to restore from.  At that point ghost says the image is not recognizable.  The image is of a Vista C: partition, file name is IMAGE.GHO.  I burned the dvd using Nero burning rom and the image was created with ghost 2003 from Bart's Corpmod boot CD with ghost.exe on it that I have used for years to create ghost images that I keep on my harddrive. The Vista ghost image was first created to the hdd and then copied to DVD for burning with Nero.
Any ideas why ghost won't recognize the image.  It is a good image as I have used it to restore C: partition from the image on D: partition using ghost.exe from the Bart Corpmod boot CD

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Won't recognize Ghost image.
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2008 at 12:48am

micman

How are you attempting to access the image file?--Ghost has two ways that it might list your optical drive as the source optical drive--

1.  Using its built-in DOS optical drive drivers--your drive will be shown as *@CD-ROM...drive name*--if the image was not created and saved directly by Ghost to the optical disc--it will say it's not a recognized Ghost image.

2.  Using the DOS optical drive drivers--you will access the Ghost image using the DOS drive letter of the optical drive--Ghost should not balk at either an image burned to optical media by a third party burning software or an image burned by Ghost.

Ghost may be listing your optical drive under both methods--which one are you using?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

micman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 5:54am

Two weeks ago I reinstalled XP to an old laptop on partition C:, wrote a copy of it with Ghost 2003 to D: partition, copied that to another computer,  and with Ghost 2003 explorer I compiled that into 3 image files, 1 .GHO, and 2 .GHS files.  With this tutorial
http://users.pandora.be/satcp/ghostresq01.htm
from the coaster factory I made a 3 CD set with Nero that restores XP to it's original after updates and drivers were installed.  It works PERFECT!!! and the owner of the laptop only has to make one selection at the start and then XP is reinstalled automatically.

What I am trying to do now is the same thing with a later computer that was just purchased and has a clean installation of Vista on partition C: with a ghost copy of it written to partition D:  The ghost copy is divided with ghost explorer into 2 files, 1 .GHO and 1 .GHS because Nero will not burn files to a bootable iso on DVD that are larger then 2 gig. 

I tried the technique from the coaster factory that was used on the older computer with this result upon booting the DVD.
ONGELDIGE systeemdiskette VERVANG de diskette en druk op een toets
Don't know where it came from as the same files were used and i am guessing but it probably means "can't find the system disk to boot."

I also retried NightOwls technique that I had problems with as explained in the first post with the same results which were. 

Optical drive is listed in Ghost as
X: (NEW) CD Rom drive and is the only one listed.

When I try clicking on IMAGE.GHO I am told

X:\IMAGE.GHO is not a Norton ghost file. or is not the correct span segment. Task can not be completed.

Same message if I try the IMAGE0001.GHS file.

I even tried changing the name of the files to  IMAGE.IMG and IMAGE0001.IMG with the same results.

Anybody have any ideas on how to make this work.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 9:47am

micman

Well, looks like I'm hearing several different issues that need troubleshooting:

Quote:
I tried the technique from the coaster factory that was used on the older computer with this result upon booting the DVD:

*ONGELDIGE systeemdiskette VERVANG de diskette en druk op een toets*

If the system does not see the boot disc as having system files--then something had gone wrong with creating a boot disc.

Quote:
Optical drive is listed in Ghost as
X: (NEW) CD Rom drive and is the only one listed.

When I try clicking on IMAGE.GHO I am told

X:\IMAGE.GHO is not a Norton ghost file. or is not the correct span segment. Task can not be completed.

Well, if you can boot and see the image files in Ghost by accessing them using the DOS drive letter--then everything is working as it should as far a DOS and Ghost is concerned--but this issue keeps popping up where Ghost refuses to recognize the Ghost image files on optical disc--especially DVD optical disc--and using Nero!!!

I have put Ghost image files on both CDs and DVDs that have been first saved to HDD--and I've never had a *Not A Ghost File* error if accessed using an optical drive's DOS drive letter--CD or DVD drive.  But, I don't use Nero--I've been using Roxio's burning program--and an older version at that--EZ Creator v5.xx!--I'm thinking there's some default setting in Nero to must be messing up Ghost's ability to recognize the image file burned to optical media.

Possible test troubleshooting:

1.  You said the original image files where saved to D:\ on the system's HDD.  Can you use the boot disc you mentioned above to boot to DOS and then run an *Integrity* check on the image file on D:\?  Results?

2.  Can you use Ghost Explorer to re-compile the Ghost image files into smaller chunks rather than the maximum size of approx 2 GB--for instance make all the Ghost spanned files 1 GB before burning them with Nero to the DVD disc?

3.  Maybe the DVD drive is not totally compatible with Ghost--could try re-compiling the image files into CD sized chunks, burn those to CDs instead of DVDs--does it work now?

4.  Try your DVD on different systems with different optical drives--you can run an *Integrity* check without effecting anything on the test system--just to see if Ghost has the same response.  Results?

5.  Look carefully at the Nero burning settings--they need to be DOS compatible for the CD file system--not some of the newer formats, and I always use DOS 8.3 naming of image files.

Are you aware that there are adjustments needed when using Ghost 2003 with Vista:  Ghost 2003/Ghost 8.2 and Windows Vista ?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print