Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best way to make restore dvd? (Read 6551 times)
ghettoblaster
Ex Member

Best way to make restore dvd?
Mar 16th, 2008 at 8:39am

Hello

I am currently using ghost 8.3 to create restore dvd's for
laptops which works fine "in house" but its not very user-friendly
for end-users (no prompts to removedisk/restart etc).

I am thinking about moving to ghost 2003 but would there really
be any benefit to this?, ideally what I want is a restore disk that
boots asks user "do you want to continue with restore" proceeds
through ghost then says "please restart" or something like that.

Any advice would be appreciated..

Thanks

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Re: Best way to make restore dvd?
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2008 at 2:38pm

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Best way to make restore dvd?
Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2008 at 9:42am

ghettoblaster

Quote:
Any advice would be appreciated..

There's no *cookie cutter* answer to a question like this--when you start creating a *custom* boot disc, you have to decide what you want the boot menu to say, and what the Ghost program response will be for a given system--and each system may be *different*!

Ghost 8.3 and Ghost 2003 can be controlled from a DOS command line--so are very good at automation.  You will have to learn about the Ghost command line options and the controlling *switches*--and you will have to learn about the DOS *menu* creation process for the boot files--[config.sys] and [autoexe.bat].

Legally--you must have one license for each system that Ghost is used on--be it Ghost 8.3 or Ghost 2003--but, neither of those are available any longer--you would have to consider a volume license for Ghost Solution Suite 2.x--which comes with Ghost 11.x--the next version after Ghost 8.3 that is available.

Here's an example of DOS boot files that I have created--in this particular case I have placed this on a hidden primary partition on the HDD which can be activated from within Windows for a *One Button* backup, etc.--or can be activated by booting form an appropriate boot floppy or bootable optical disc:  http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1203371188/45

But, the above does not have to be on a HDD partition--it could be placed on an optical boot disc--but it would have to be modified to take that into consideration.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print