Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
You need Ghost 2003 build .793 to use SATA and -FNI, here's how. (Read 139078 times)
TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Re: You need Ghost 2003 build .793 to use SATA and -FNI, here's how.
Reply #15 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 7:25am

The only reason I saw to upgrade my Ghost 2003 to build 793 was because of the newer motherboards.  SATA had nothing to do with it.

Older versions of Ghost would not work with the newer 939 or AM2 motherboards.  Ghost 775 couldn't see the drives, on either of those mobo's.

EDIT:

Running Ghost 2003, build 793 on my new MSI mobo, is a real treat!
Every drive on the system, including all the USB drives and camera card slots are presented to Ghost.  I could even do a Ghost backup to a camera card if it were big enough to hold the .GHO file. Wink
I have to run NO special USB drivers and use NO special switches.
The only driver I load is Mouse.com, so I can run Ghost with my PS2 mouse.  That beats the heck out of using just the keyboard. Roll Eyes

The only upgrade I've seen for Ghost 2003 is Ghost 8.3.  
Both versions work equally well on my system.
The big difference is that Ghost 8.3 is too big to fit on a floppy disk along with all my batch files and utilities.
NO Problem, I run it from a bootable flash drive. Wink Smiley

Running Ghost from a bootable media is still the best way to run Ghost.
(IMHO)

Cheers Mates!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #16 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 9:23pm

Shadow
Thanks for the insight. My system is still not ready and so I am continuing to read... and read ... and read. I guess I will just wait until the build is finished and try my 2003 version. I agree that booting to DOS and running Ghost from there is the way to go. If I can't get it to work I will have to try some other alternative. I know very little about Ghost 14. Haven't been able to find if it will boot to DOS or if it has to run in the Windows environment. I may post that question later tonight or tomorrow.
Thanks again
Jerry

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #17 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 9:31pm

Rad wrote:
(quote) ". Booting from a thumb-drive is cool.

I agree with the comment that booting from a thumb drive is cool. The question I have about ver 14 is can it be booted from a thumb drive into DOS and run from there.
Jerry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Apr 27th, 2008 at 9:53pm

Jerry,

The Ghost 14 Recovery Environment is Vista PE based. Very nice.

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #19 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 7:40am

Brian:
I am so stuck on 2003 I haven't looked or read anything about the newer versions. I'm assuming it (14) will run either in XP or Ghost ???? Thanks for any input
Jerry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 7:47am

Jerry,

Stick with Ghost 2003 if it works for you.

Ghost 14 works in WinXP and Vista. It creates "hot images" while Windows is running. I like this. You probably wouldn't. There is no DOS with Ghost 14.

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #21 - Apr 28th, 2008 at 12:42pm

Thanks Brian
Yes, I'll stick with 2003 as long as it will do the job. I had forgotten there is a drive size limit to what G-2003 will handle. So will have to partition the 250 gig drive when it gets here along with the other build material

Jerry

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #22 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 6:39am

Quote:
I had forgotten there is a drive size limit to what G-2003 will handle.

I built a computer (Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe + AMD Athlon64 X2 Dual-Core 5600+ + 500 GB Hitachi T7K500 SATA) for a friends son and Ghost 2003 created an image to a second hard disk with no problems, no need for any switches whatsoever (well, I use "-split=650" and "-auto" to be able to burn to CDs).

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #23 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 8:49am

Thinking ahead ... if I have any problems getting Ghost 2003 to work with my new system, was wondering about Acronis. I have versions 7 and 9. Does anyone know whether or not Acronis boots to a DOS invironment like Ghost does and make an image. I know you can make a recovery disk and boot it to DOS to reinstall an image, but don't know if it will boot to DOS in order to create an image???  Can any one help out with an answer here.
Jerry

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #24 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 4:00pm

Jerry,

Acronis TI has a two mode Recovery CD. Either Linux or DOS.

TI can create images from either recovery mode.

IP Logged

alex30
Ex Member

Reply #25 - May 1st, 2008 at 8:45am

Hello,

I'm Alex, newbee here and have a mayor problem/question.

I make every month a backup from my computer on an external usb drive. Last week my computer harddisk crashed and i buyed a new disk and want to restore the image only my ghost floppydisk failed (defective floppydisk).

No problem i thought, just install ghost 2003 on my second system and make a new disk, but when i restore the image now i get the error 25002 during the restore.

I googled something and found out that i must update my ghost from build 775 to 793, i followed the discription from symantec and can't get it done (i miss the option to update from symantec archived).

I'm desperate now, can anyone help me with the update file??

Thnx

IP Logged

AudiBoy
Ex Member

Reply #26 - May 1st, 2008 at 12:26pm

Hi,

Just joined while trying to solve my problem and thought I'd post my findings in case it saves someone some time.

There are a couple of 'errors' in the Symantec instructions for updating - IMO.

Step 3.1 should say "Right-click the Settings.Hosts.LiveUpdate ICON ABOVE and click Save Target As..."

Step 4 should have a 4.6 which would say "Repeat Step 4 until you are told you have the latest etc etc."

The go onto Step 5 which should also have a 5.6 the same as 4.6.

Eventually you get to .793 (think that's the one - the latest anyway).

Might save someone pulling out more hair than is really necessary!!!

IP Logged

Lusifer
Ex Member

Reply #27 - May 10th, 2008 at 2:31pm

TheShadow wrote on Apr 27th, 2008 at 7:25am:
The only reason I saw to upgrade my Ghost 2003 to build 793 was because of the newer motherboards.  SATA had nothing to do with it.

Older versions of Ghost would not work with the newer 939 or AM2 motherboards.  Ghost 775 couldn't see the drives, on either of those mobo's.

Getting Ghost 2003 build 793 for me was a whole lot easier than dealing with Symantec and playing their games..... I got it from a friend.
It involved an entire new copy of Ghost.exe, not just a patch or fix.

Running Ghost 2003, build 793 on my new MSI mobo, is a real treat!
Every drive on the system, including all the USB drives and camera card slots are presented to Ghost.  I could even do a Ghost backup to a camera card if it were big enough to hold the .GHO file. Wink
I have to run NO special USB drivers and use NO special switches.
The only driver I load is Mouse.com, so I can run Ghost with my PS2 mouse.  That beats the heck out of using just the keyboard. Roll Eyes

The only upgrade I've seen for Ghost 2003 is Ghost 8.3.  
Both versions work equally well on my system.
The big difference is that Ghost 8.3 is too big to fit on a floppy disk along with all my batch files and utilities.
NO Problem, I run it from a bootable flash drive. Wink Smiley

Running Ghost from a bootable media is still the best way to run Ghost.
(IMHO)

Cheers Mates!
The Shadow  Cool

hmm didnt know that Smiley

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #28 - May 21st, 2008 at 6:29pm

I'm totally perplexed, as I was backing up my SATA HD for some time before I got the 793 update.  I had to have it NOT for SATA, but for the new AMD 939 and AM2 motherboards.  Ghost just could not find the drives on those boards and would hang trying.  The upgrade to build 793 solved that problem.  I'm still backing up all sizes of SATA1 and SATA2 drives, by all manufacturers with equal success.  Seagate, Maxtor, WD.....all the same.
And, using NO special switches or Gizmo's.

I credit a lot of my own success to this really great MSI motherboard.
(MSI, K9N Platinum)

I experiment a lot with my Ghost 2003.  I currently have it booting from a floppy disk, CD, flash drive and even a SD Memory Card (the same as I use in my Kodak camera).

The only drawback I've personally found is that unless it boots from A:, it won't put itself on a DVD, thus making it bootable.  No biggie!

Cheers Mates!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Jer
Radmeister

I Love Radified!

Reply #29 - May 22nd, 2008 at 2:37pm

Jerry wrote:
Since upgrading my 2003 version to the most recent build, I boot with a thumb drive with no problems on my new system ... below.

I use two Sata HD's ...  One is the boot drive and the other to copy the image to

2.67 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Board: ECS P55G 1.0
Bus Clock: 333 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 080015 11/27/2007
1792 Megabytes Installed Memory

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print