Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
You need Ghost 2003 build .793 to use SATA and -FNI, here's how. (Read 139057 times)
Gotenks3
Ex Member

Re: You need Ghost 2003 build .793 to use SATA and -FNI, here's how.
Reply #30 - May 28th, 2008 at 11:32am

First of all, I thank all the Radified and its community for all the help they have provided in the past present and future.  I recently did a fresh install of Ghost 2003.  I quickly found that Symantec’s instructions for using live-update Archive were out of date.

(How to obtain the programs updates that are archived on Symantec LiveUpdate server url: service1.symantec.com/Support/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2007010219171513)

LiveUpdate Version: 3.4.1.234  (downloaded and installed on May 28, 2008)

Here is what the problem was and the work around I used:

In Step 4, after I had replaced the existing “Settings.Hosts.LiveUpdate” host file with the downloadable one from Symantec, I ran the live update but there was no location profile dropdown menu available.

Solution:
After testing and tweaking the “Settings.Hosts.LiveUpdate” file and reading the readme.txt file of LiveUpdate 3.4.1.234, I found that the host file in the program directory “C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Settings.Hosts.LiveUpdate” is not used at all anymore.  According the readme.txt the settings host file is now stored different locations depending on your operating system.

I’m using WinXp pro, so the new host file location is “C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate” and the new host file name is “Settings.LiveUpdate”.

I opened up the new “Settings.LiveUpdate” file in notepad to find that there were tons of new parameters in addition to host profile information.  I then opened the downloaded “Settings.Default.LiveUpdate” (the one from Symantec with the archive server information) in another notepad and copied and replaced the host information in the “Settings.LiveUpdate”.  Then I ran live update, and this time the location profile dropdown menu was available and the update worked.

As mentioned in a previous post, I had to update twice in order to get build .793.

I hope that helps,

Gotenks3
Cheesy
Cheesy

IP Logged

cuban_brakes
N00b

I Love Radified!

Germany

Reply #31 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 4:55pm

Hi,
I'm trying to update my german ghost 2003 789 to 793 according to the info in this thread and get an error LU1825. The download of update 2 succeds (LU tells 3.7MB), but installation does not work. The message is like that:
LU1825: Dieses Update ist fehlgeschlagen, da es versucht hat, eine Anwendung auszuführen, die nicht existiert. Die Anwendungsdatei sollte Teil des heruntergeladenen Updates sein.
TRANSLATED FROM GERMAN:
This update has failed because it tried to execute an application which does not exist. This application should be part of the downloaded update.
I found a similar thread from 2007, but according to this, the problem should have been solved on the update-server???
link: radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1176499646/7

The downloaded file 1165278149jtun_ng2003b789_ge.x86.full.zip
found at C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\Downloads is only 3.394kB and could not be opened with Winzip 9. Is the problem a damaged file?

Do I have a chance to get this update done, maybe in a manual way?

Regards Robert

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #32 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 3:08am

Hello Robert,
welcome to RADIFIED ... Smiley ... !

In the same location, after updating a fresh installation of Ghost 2003, I have the corresponding files but english versions:

1165278149jtun_ng2003b789_en.x86.full.zip
and
1165278149jtun_ng2003b793_en.x86.full.zip

They too can not be opened using the WinXP "zip program". There are quite a few zip archives in that location, some can be opened, others can not.

Maybe Nigel can shed some light on this?

/Christer

By the way, I have downloaded corresponding zip archives from sources other than Symantec and they can be opened. I have only seen the english versions, though. These zip archives only contain the files that have been changed (not "full" installations) and the extracted files should manually be moved to the Ghost programs folder, replacing existing files.

The files are:

1122653960jtun_ng2003b789_en.zip
and
1122653960jtun_ng2003b793_en.zip

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

cuban_brakes
N00b

I Love Radified!

Germany

Reply #33 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 4:39pm

Thank you Christer,

but i could't find anywhere the coresponding german .zip file.
It seems that I have to wait that someone fixes the updateserver or send me the right files...

Best regards
Robert

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #34 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 2:02am

Robert,
nor can I find the english versions anymore. If I recall correctly, they were posted at an american university web page, maybe Princeton.

A google search for either of the files only brings up this thread ... Lips Sealed ... !

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 3:58am

Christer wrote on Sep 9th, 2008 at 3:08am:
Maybe Nigel can shed some light on this?

The LU system is *weird*, to the point where it's something I deliberately want to avoid knowing about - especially because there are three major versions of it, all mutually incompatible.

The odd thing is that it does mostly just use plain zipfiles, but they are all called other things (.trz or .x86 or whatever), whereas that file you're looking at is I think a status thing that isn't really a zipfile at all.

Anyway, there's a good reason you can't download the archives directly from anywhere. They aren't at the Princeton private LU server, and they aren't anywhere on archive.org either, and for good reason - because they are a major source of piracy. Anytime we (or anyone else) puts anything that contains a ghost.exe anywhere on the public internet, it gets massively abused for mass piracy and the Ghost 2003 LiveUpdates were particularly bad for that. It's a major headache for us because we want to get updates to customers out, but we're subject to such an insane amount of piracy (including from the dishonest scum who call it "abandonware" when it's not) that it's not an option.

Anyway, last time the german LU had problems was because they rearranged the layout of the archive server and simply lost that particular file (during the interim I hosted a copy myself on my google pages account). Unfortunately since the LU admins are in the US and we have no access whatsoever to the guts of the LU system, it's really hard for us to get any problems with it fixed.

Anyway, we have copies of everything we've ever released (including the localized versions) so I can do that again while we try and get this sorted out; I'll send a PM to the person who posted with a problem and a URL to the download and a password to use when extracting the files.

IP Logged

cuban_brakes
N00b

I Love Radified!

Germany

Reply #36 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 10:15am

Hello Nigel,

I could install the .exe and .dll files of the update with ghostlu.exe.
But what about the two aspi*.sys files? I couldn't find these files on my harddisk.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 6:33pm

They are gone because the entire point of build 793 was to remove them; those were components we licensed from Iomega to provide support for FireWire and USB drives, and they turned out to be of completely inadequate quality. Ghost build 793 contains built-in FireWire and USB drivers of much higher quality and supporting a much wider range of USB host adapters to replace them.

IP Logged

cuban_brakes
N00b

I Love Radified!

Germany

Reply #38 - Sep 17th, 2008 at 4:01pm

Nigel.

my backup via USB2.0 works now. Thank you for your support!

Regards Robert

IP Logged

donPC
N00b

need help Ghost 2003 with
usb2. ext hdd

Barcelona, Spain

Doesn't work with spanish XP service pack 3
Reply #39 - Oct 4th, 2008 at 8:20am

I tried your advice, went through the symantec procedure, killed the ghost task (after having tried it without killing it per symantec instructions), and still no success.

I keep getting a LU1825 error, and Ghost stays at version 789.

I will open a new post with my problem.

IP Logged

Daniel
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Feb 5th, 2010 at 7:32pm

Can someone tell me how to download

1122653960jtun_ng2003b789_en.zip
and
1122653960jtun_ng2003b793_en.zip

I followed Norton's instruction to download the new LiveUpdate, and failed to get update. Google cannot help me to find the files. The links here are broken.

IP Logged

James
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #41 - Mar 3rd, 2010 at 11:01am

I see that this post mainly refers to SATA HDD's. What about SATA DVD Drives?

IP Logged

yayalynn
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Oct 4th, 2011 at 9:44pm

Maybe a permanent sticky with that information would be a good thing? No other context than "Reinstalling Ghost 2003 - how to get it up to date!"....

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print