Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Creating a partition image with Ghostcast Server (Read 3479 times)
Core
Ex Member

Creating a partition image with Ghostcast Server
Apr 1st, 2008 at 2:55pm

Hey all,
   I'm having difficulties with creating a single partition image from a computer. My Ghostcast server version is at 8.3. The computer is a macbook. It has 2 partitions, the first is the OSX partition, then second is a windows XP partition created with bootcamp. It's a regular NTFS format partition. I want to create an image of the second partition (the windows partition) and deploy it to 38 other identical computers (which all have second NTFS partitions already set up.) The first problem I'm running into is creating the partition image. I set the Ghostcasst Server to only pick up the second partition off of the first disk. (The partition is about 38GB) It said it succeeded but the image ended up being the full 80GB of the disk. Im assuming it just went ahead and created an entire disk image. Any ideas? Will I run into this same problem deploying?

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Re: Creating a partition image with Ghostcast Server
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2008 at 11:43pm

Most systems with EFI contain an EFI system partition as well as the user-defined ones, and that might be throwing off the numbering, and in addition there's the question of the GPT partition wrapper.

Current versions of corporate genuine Ghost do understand GPT but older ones didn't, so depending on exactly what the state of the machine was before you took the image, it may be imaging the GPT wrapper instead. Boot Camp tends to fiddle with the outer MBR wrapper in order to boot XP since XP isn't GPT-aware, but I don't think it will have put the OSX partition into the outer wrapper. So, the numbering depends on how Boot Camp fiddled the MBR to expose the GPT partitions before you ran the image.

It's entirely possible that what Ghost is seeing as partition 2 is the GPT wrapper, hence the result. You should really dump the partition layout using gdisk on the machine first to see what your version of Ghost sees, which will be entirely up to whatever subset of the GPT partitions Boot Camp has exposed in the outer MBR.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print