Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 8.0 Boot CD disk w/ ghost image fails with SATA DVD-RAM drive (Read 19703 times)
Lanman
N00b

Who let those electrons
out ?

Memphis, Tn

Ghost 8.0 Boot CD disk w/ ghost image fails with SATA DVD-RAM drive
Apr 2nd, 2008 at 3:21pm

Have been using Ghost 8 imaging / cloning servers with scsi disk drives no problem using OAKCDROM.sys drivers. Setup new HP server with SATA DVD-RAM. Have modified previous boot CD configuration to make a Boot CD with GCDROM.sys drivers.  The Server starts up to
"Attempting to Boot from CD ROM"   then  freezes.  Here is the Auto  and  CONFIG  construction :

AUTOEXEC.BAT

LH MSCDEX.EXE /D:CDBOOT /L
SET TZ=GHO+08:00
prompt $p$g
\net\netbind.com
MOUSE.COM
echo Loading Ghost...
ghost.exe @echo off

CONFIG.SYS

DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS
FILES=30
BUFFERS=20
DOS=HIGH,UMB
DEVICE=GCDROM.SYS /D:CDBOOT
LASTDRIVE = Z

Any suggestions / thoughts to enable the install of DVD_RAM drivers and execute Ghost for cloning from CD  ?

Appreciate your help !&&&&Lanman

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Ghost 8.0 Boot CD disk w/ ghost image fails with SATA DVD-RAM drive
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2008 at 11:29pm

Lanman wrote on Apr 2nd, 2008 at 3:21pm:
SATA DVD-RAM

That's the first time I've heard of that being used.

This is probably NightOwl's balliwick. Send him a PM and ask him to take a look.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?action=viewprofile;username=2D0A040B17...

Not sure if it will help, but have you seen?: http://nightowl.radified.com/bootcd/bootcdintro.html

IP Logged

Lanman
N00b

Who let those electrons
out ?

Memphis, Tn

Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 10:54am

RAD - thanks for the links.   I have since discovered Ghost (at least at this time) does not function with  DVD-RAM drives.   Our  vendor ( Hp )  is sending me a  SATA DVD-ROM drive.  I have successfully used  Ghost 8.0  with  IDE  CD / DVD-ROM  drives  in  HP  and  DELL  servers  to  Image  and  Clone  with  Ghost  Network Boot Disk  and  Ghost (ROM) drive boot disk.   This will be my first attempt working with  SATA  and  Ghost 8.0.   So from all the research I gathered for  Ghost and SATA drives, which was a dead end applying to  SATA DVD-RAM,  hopefully will provide the desired result when applying to the  SATA  DVD-ROM.

IP Logged

Lanman
N00b

Who let those electrons
out ?

Memphis, Tn

Reply #3 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 11:21am

Also ...  the  DVD-RAM  drive  is  Model  LG GSA-H60L

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #4 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 9:40pm

Thanks for the follow-up, as you're the first we've heard of this (DVD-RAM).

I don't think you should have any problem with SATA DVD-ROM, tho ya never know until...

Memphis. You guys had some action there today. All over the news here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7331745.stm

You been to the hotel? Know where it is?

My brother lives in Chattanooga. Surgeon. So if ya need a hip replacement, I can probably get you a good deal.  Smiley

IP Logged

Lanman
N00b

Who let those electrons
out ?

Memphis, Tn

Reply #5 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 10:46am

If  you  would  like  to  keep  this  thread  open  for  a  short  time,  I  will  update  on  converting  SATA  DVD-RAM  to  ROM  drive  and  using  GCDROM.sys  drivers  creating  a  DVD-ROM  drive  boot  CD.

Sidecar :  Yes,  I  have  been  to  the  MLK  museum ( former Lorraine Hotel )  two  visits.  I  am  not  a  history  buff,  yet  the  self-guided  tour  is  excellent  condensed  forum  highlighting  events  of  the  early  stages  of  the  Cival Rights  movement.   If  ever  in  Memphis,  I  think  it's  worth  time  to  see  it.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #6 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 1:19pm

Lanman wrote on Apr 7th, 2008 at 10:46am:
IwillupdateonconvertingSATADVD-RAMtoROMdrive

Cool.

Hmmm. Why did "Mark & Quote" remove the spaces between words? That's never happened before.

IP Logged

Rad.Test
Technoluster

Rad's non-Admin test-profile
in Firefox

Reply #7 - Apr 7th, 2008 at 1:31pm

Lanman wrote on Apr 7th, 2008 at 10:46am:
Ifyouwouldliketokeepthisthreadopenforashorttime,

Test from Firefox. Same problem.

Anything weird about the text in your post? What was the original source?

UPDATE - Seems you have TWO SPACES between each word. I think that's what's causing the spacing in quotes to collapse. Why do you have 2 spaces between each word?

There is a mod I installed recently, which fixes a problem we had viewing quotes made in old YaBB v1.x forum (imported to Y2.x), which removes extra spaces .. which, it seems, doesn't like your extra spacing between words.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1203620358/15#15

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #8 - Apr 12th, 2008 at 10:27am

I'm confused.....
You're saying DVD-RAM as if it is a specific type of drive.
I have a DVD drive that WILL do RAM disks, but it also does CD's of all types and DVD's of all types.  It's certainly NOT exclusive to RAM disks.

On that drive, has a standard DVD+R, for instance, been tried with Ghost? 
I use both Ghost 2003 and Ghost 8.3 from boot disks and they both write to DVD+R disks with no problem at all.
Trying to use the much more expensive RAM disks offers NO advantage at all, over a standard DVD+R.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but I fail to see the problem. Undecided

The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Lanman
N00b

Who let those electrons
out ?

Memphis, Tn

Reply #9 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 5:41pm

I was using DVD-RAM in a very general context so hope this will provide clarity ---  The  LG GSA-H60L  is  a  Super Multi Writer SATA DVD+RW which means that it is designed to read most types of CD and DVD discs but also compatible with DVD-RAM format. Under Device Manager it shows as DVD-RAM. Previously, all of my server CD or DVD drives were IDE.  This is my first run creating Ghost boot CD to install SATA drivers.  No matter how I designed the Auto and Config using OAKCDROM.sys or GCDROM.sys drivers I was not succseful with the DVD drive reading the Ghost image on the boot CD.  On the Symantec site I read that Ghost does not support DVD-RAM at this time, so I assume that is the core of the issue.  I am pending installing a standard SATA DVD+RW ( not a Multi-Writer model ) and would expect Device Manager to show  DVD-ROM or at least DVD+RW, then I can re-attempt creating the SATA Boot CD.

IP Logged

Lanman
N00b

Who let those electrons
out ?

Memphis, Tn

Reply #10 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 6:08pm

Note:  I use a ghost network boot CD to create / store images to our netserver and use NERO to create a bootable cloning disc. I would prefer to manage it all via Ghost console but our projects require duplicating bootable clone discs for various test processes.
Also You are correct about cost factors with DVD-RAM media.
We were unaware Hp was sending us the initial lab units with Super Multi Writer (RAM) capibility. It's not a requirement for our projects and we are in the process of getting that corrected.   Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print