Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hard drive soon to be full (Read 10808 times)
Bumpus
N00b

I Love Radified!

Hard drive soon to be full
Apr 4th, 2008 at 10:53pm

As mentioned in an earlier post, I'm usingGhost 12 to backup my "C" drive to a 500GB USB drive. I setup my backups as suggested here on this forum, backups are done nightly with a new recovery point made once a week.

Before it becomes an issue, which files (various file names from C_Drive001_s08 to C_Drive001_si008) can be deleted once the disk is full?

Is it as simple as deleting files with a creation date PRIOR to the last recovery point? Looking for some advice here, thanks for reading.

Bumpus

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Hard drive soon to be full
Reply #1 - Apr 4th, 2008 at 11:31pm

Bumpus,

Just some background. How much data is in the partition being backed up?

How large is a baseline recovery point?

Why are you splitting the recovery points? Intentionally, or is the external HD formatted as FAT32?

Quote:
Is it as simple as deleting files with a creation date PRIOR to the last recovery point? Looking for some advice here, thanks for reading.

Yes. Or prior to the last 10 recovery points. Your choice. Ghost 12 will then ask for confirmation that you have deletd recovery points.

IP Logged

Ajay
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

INDIA

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 1:24pm

Hi Bumpus,
   Greetings!!!

Instead manually deleting the recovery points, try to do the optimize recovery points using the NG12.0

Ajay   Symantec User && _________________  &&Chennai. INDIA
Ajay ajaysp149  
IP Logged

Bumpus
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 6:47pm

Thanks for replying.

I'm backing up my "C" drive, approx 90 GB. Every Wednesday I have it createa new recovery point. Wednesday's file is 4.12 GB. Next day is 3.8 GB, next is 168,000 KB, next is 320,000 KB.

"C" drive is NTFS as well as the USB drive I'm backing up to. If I have this setup wrong then I'd like to know. I followed the steps outlined in this forum(or so I thought). I'll be the first to admit I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I doknow that Ghost has saved my butt in the past and won't be without it (or something close) again.

Let me know if you need any more information.

Bumpus

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 7:02pm

Bumpus,

Thanks. I would like further info.
How much used space is in your 90 GB C: drive?

Could you let us know the name of every recovery point created during the week (From the Wednesday baseline)? Please include the file extension, the date (day of the week) and the file size. Sorry for all the typing.

PS.... Or a screen shot.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #5 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 7:16pm

As a side note, you can usually buy time by free'ing up between 500-MB and 1-gig using krap cleaner:

http://filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

I have used it many times .. always satisfactorily. Think John first told me about me.

I use default settings, but remove the checkmark from cookies.

IP Logged

Bumpus
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 9:17pm

The "C" Drive is a 250 GB drive, no partitions. 90 GB is the amount of data being backed up.

File Names....
Last Wednesday's (4/2/2008) file name is   C_Drive003.V2i, 4.1 GB
Thursday's is                                            C_Drive001_i007.V2i, 3.8 GB
Friday's is                                                C_Drive001_i008.V2i,  167,000 KB
This mornings is                                       C_Drive001_i009.V2i, 319,000 KB

Ask for more info if you need it.

Bumpus

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 9:32pm

Bumpus,

There is something seriously wrong here. Instead of being 4.1 GB, your Wednesday recovery point should be around 50 to 60 GB. Thurs, Fri and Sat recovery points should be .iV2i and not .V2i and their numbering is wrong too. I'd say none of them will work so I'd delete the lot and start again. In Ghost I'd delete the backup job and create another, like this...

Quote:
Creating Recovery Points: Weeky Baselines, daily Incrementals

Start Ghost  12
Click Tasks icon
click Run or Manage Backups
click Define New
dot in Backup my computer, Next
select the drive to backup (usually the OS drive), Next
dot in Recovery point set (recommended), Next
Choose location and filename, Next
Choose desired compression (I choose High but it's your choice)
Tick Verify recovery point after creation
Choose your Limit. I don't tick this item. I manually delete the recovery points after 3 to 4 weeks, ignore Advanced unless you want to split the image, Next
Ignore the Command Files window, Next
Tick Schedule and tick all days except the day of your planned Baseline Recovery Point. Choose your time
click the drop down arrow and choose Weekly 
click Custom , tick the day of your planned Baseline Recovery Point, select a time , OK, Next   
Finish

Any questions?

You mentioned files like these..

Quote:
various file names from C_Drive001_s08 to C_Drive001_si008

They are split files. Are they still present? I guess it doesn't matter now. Delete all recovery points.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #8 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 9:44pm

Bumpus,

This is how the numbering should appear....

IP Logged

Bumpus
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #9 - Apr 6th, 2008 at 12:48am

Brian,

I have set it up just as you have described. Thanks so much for your help. I'll post back in a couple of days and let you know how things turned out.

Again, Thanks!

IP Logged

Ajay
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

INDIA

Reply #10 - Apr 6th, 2008 at 6:28am

Hi All,
   Greetings !!!

Bumpus : Check whether the file C_Drive001.V2i is there. To my assumption you might have deleted manually thats why you have incremental backups named in the series C_Drive001_i007.V2i, C_Drive001_i008.V2i, C_Drive001_i009.V2i, these are also the incremental backups but only the base is C_Drive001.V2i. Thats why we should not manually delete the recovery points.
  You can run the incremental backup and try to check the file name.

Ajay   Symantec User && _________________  &&Chennai. INDIA
Ajay ajaysp149  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print