Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Newbie Ghost 2003, FDISK and SATA help needed (Read 7714 times)
William
Dude

I Love Radified!

Newbie Ghost 2003, FDISK and SATA help needed
Apr 5th, 2008 at 4:35pm

Hi,

I am a new member of the forum, but have used some guides and liked them very much - thank you for previous help!

I am not sure if I am posting in the right forum.

I have Ghost 2003 and FDISK.

I have a

Seagate 320GB Serial ATA hard drive

and

Samsung SH-S182D DVD-RAM - this has the SB06 firmware

attached to a

Foxconn ?975X7AB-8EKRS2H? mother board (the question marks around the serial number indicate that a) my computer is currently hosed, and b) I am guessing the mother board number - I reckon there's a 70% chance of it being right).

What I want to know is this.

1) Is Fdisk compatible with SATA drives?

2) Will Ghost write to my DVD-RAM drive automatically or do I need to change some of the settings? I want it to write to DVD-R media.

Many thanks in advance

Will

IP Logged

Amish.
Technoluster

Dude! (Rad in SeaMonkey)

Re: Newbie Ghost 2003, FDISK and SATA help needed
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 5:20pm

see here for info on dvd-ram:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1207167698

more questions?

IP Logged

Amish.
Technoluster

Dude! (Rad in SeaMonkey)

Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2008 at 5:22pm

William wrote on Apr 5th, 2008 at 4:35pm:
Is Fdisk compatible with SATA drives?

Good question. I don't see why not, but would like to see someone try. You could always use the partitioning utility which is found in Windows CD.

IP Logged

William
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2008 at 1:51pm

Hi,

Thanks Amish for the quick response.

The link to the next thread (should have read more Sad ) indicate that I can't use DVD-RAM straight from Ghost 2003.

My next question is

How easy is it to create an image in Ghost 2003 and write it to an external (USB 2.0) HD, then copy that image to a DVD-R? I know there is something about flags created by Ghost when it creates the image so that if it is copied from one type of media to another it becomes more difficult to restore. Would there be a work around for this or is the fact that I don't have the right drivers in Ghost for the DVD-RAM drive always going to be the stumbling block?

Will

PS - I have used the Windows CD to make the first partition on the drive and have used windows disk management to divvy up the rest of the drive.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #4 - Apr 6th, 2008 at 2:53pm

William wrote on Apr 6th, 2008 at 1:51pm:
How easy is it to create an image in Ghost 2003 and write it to an external (USB 2.0) HD

That's easy. Pesky has a list of external drives he's verified compatibility with. I'd ask his input:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?action=viewprofile;username=072E1D1227...

And NightOwl has a better-driver page, should you have problems.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1095438251

Of course, I would suggest leaving the image on the external. Moreover, I would even suggest Ghost 14 or 12 .. to be used with external drive. That's what I use. And can report success both creating and restoring images (now called Recovery Points).

Restoring directly from optical storage *may* work, but this is something you will have to test yourself .. with your own particular system configuration. And of course I'd be interested to hear what you find.

IP Logged

William
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Apr 9th, 2008 at 11:35am

Thank You for the ideas and support.

I have had a long, traumatic and difficult experience with imaging software that started with Acronis true image 11, went via the rad guide to backup, the importance of stability, and several clean installs of Windows, to ebay and ghost 2003!

I now have 3 whole images of my C drive stored on a USB drive!

I am in the final stages of rebuilding my system for the nth time and feeling far better about the whole thing than I have in ages!

My only problem now is to try and get my money back out of Acronis.

Thanks again for all the work you guys have put into the guides - they have really helped me RADIFY my PC.

As to the DVD-RAM drive I have decide that regualr file back up to DVD-RAM is nothing if not sensible. I shall worry less about films and MP3's though.

Will

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2008 at 10:12am

William,
Forget the RAM disks.....use only DVD-R or DVD+R, whichever works for you.  I find the DVD+R works best for me using Ghost 2003 or Ghost 8.3.
(I have set up both, on bootable media)

FDISK?  I regularly use it from a Windows ME Boot disk to set up all my HD's, including SATA and SATA2 drives.  NO PROBLEM!!!!
I just did a new SATA2, 160 gig drive, yesterday.
The FDISK from Windows ME is better than the FSISK from 98 or 98/SE for partitioning large HD's.

Doing that, you'll be setting up the drive for FAT-32,  the only format I use on any of my HD's except for the one that has Vista Ultimate on it.  Vista will refuse to load on a FAT-32 hard drive.
XP however doesn't care and will run very well indeed on a FAT-32 formatted drive.

My standard setup for a new hard drive, for many years now, has been to use FDISK to create two partitions.... one for the OS and one for Storage.  I format them both with DOS to verify the integrity of the drive and prepare it for use.

I believe that XP when installing will ask you if you want to keep the current format......I always say "Yes" and the setup continues. 
No problemo!

Good Luck (I hope I've answered your questions)
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print