Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 14 not imaging vista machine because its not in recovery environment? (Read 11226 times)
horlicks
N00b

Bare with me - get brain
fog easily

UK

Ghost 14 not imaging vista machine because its not in recovery environment?
Apr 10th, 2008 at 10:01am

Just bough Norton Antivirus 2008 bundle which includes Norton Ghost v14 (I bought it for Ghost). The vista machine already has Norton 360 which covers antivirus and my xp machine runs etrust antivirus.

I need some help and advise so i'm hoping I've come to the right place.

As I was in a hurry I downloaded the trial version of ghost 14 for my xp laptop and my dads vista laptop before I could receive the retail box delivered in the post, and took an initial image backup on both machines.

However now, when I try to image the vista laptop after about 5% progress a message comes up saying the backup can only happen in the norton recovery environment. It didnt give me this problem with the same ghost install before I entered the product key.

I tried booting up from the Norton recovery CD but this gave no options to take the image in what I assumed was the recovery environment - only to recover an image back to the machine. It seems that i can only attempt to take an image within windows, which failes.

So i dont know what to do or why this is happening. Any ideas folks?

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Re: Ghost 14 not imaging vista machine because its not in recovery environment?
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2008 at 4:26pm

horlicks wrote on Apr 10th, 2008 at 10:01am:
I tried booting up from the Norton recovery CD but this gave no options to take the image in what I assumed was the recovery environment - only to recover an image back to the machine. It seems that i can only attempt to take an image within windows, which failes.

Ghost 14 is a online hot-imaging product.  It has to be installed to take backup images, and it does it under Windows using something called Volume Shadow Copy, which allows applications to take image backups in the background.

I would uninstall your trial version, reboot, and then install the retail Ghost 14.

Also, the Norton emergency recovery CD is used to boot from to restore an image due to total disk drive failure or total windows software wipeout.

If you want to restore a folder or file, you can do that from within windows.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Ajay
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

INDIA

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 9:50am

Hi Horlicks,
   Greetings!!!

Are you getting Message: "This operation cannot be performed while Windows is running. You must complete this operation inside the recovery environment.." when creating backup using Norton Ghost 14.0

Try this document :
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/0/7154f08552eef4626525740100...

Revert back if any clarification

Ajay   Symantec User && _________________  &&Chennai. INDIA
Ajay ajaysp149  
IP Logged

horlicks
N00b

Bare with me - get brain
fog easily

UK

Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 1:24pm

Ajay wrote on Apr 13th, 2008 at 9:50am:
Hi Horlicks,
  Greetings!!!

Are you getting Message: "This operation cannot be performed while Windows is running. You must complete this operation inside the recovery environment.." when creating backup using Norton Ghost 14.0

Try this document :
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/powerquest.nsf/0/7154f08552eef4626525740100...

Revert back if any clarification

Thats the one Ajay. Thanks. I'll follow the instructions as per the Symantec Knowledgebase article and hopefully that will do the trick. Will report back here with my results in due course.

Thanks again for your replies.

IP Logged

Ajay
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

INDIA

Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 5:13am

Hi Horlicks,
  Greetings!!!

Thats cool to here from you! That has been resolved several occurences. Post your results if any...

Ajay ajaysp149  
IP Logged

horlicks
N00b

Bare with me - get brain
fog easily

UK

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2008 at 5:03pm

Just wanted to come back and say the registry fix from Symantec for this Vista problem was applied and fixed the problem. Thanks ever so much Ajay Smiley

IP Logged

Ajay
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

INDIA

Reply #6 - Apr 20th, 2008 at 9:35am

Hi Horlicks,

Greetings!!!

Thank you Welcome always  Smiley

Ajay ajaysp149  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print