Send Topic Print
Forum responsiveness? (Read 6463 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Forum responsiveness?
Apr 24th, 2008 at 6:12pm

Just wonering how you are finding the forum's responsiveness at the new server. Lightning-fast? Zippy? Fast enough? Barely fast enough? Dog-slow?

If you are having trouble loading pages, or slow-loading, i'd like to know when, where you are, and if it's an isolated incident.

Even better would be to upload/attach a traceroute, so we can see exactly what's happening. (Sometimes slowdowns can be caused by your local ISP.)

http://www.pingplotter.com/freeware.html

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Re: Forum responsiveness?
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 7:55pm

Most of the time I would rate it as zippy.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2008 at 10:12pm

Thanks, bro. Zippy is good. I've been shooting off sppt tiks any time I think responsiveness is not up to snuff. Have had quite a few conversations with WT sppt on the subject. Any issues I observe are always short-lived, so by the time I can send any traces, the issue has usually passed.

For $10/month with Lunarpages, you kinda expect so-so responsiveness, but for $50/month with WiredTree, I expect more.

They told me page-loading times are a better indicator than traceroutes. It's just than, if my ISP is overloaded, a slow page load might be due to my ISP and not my webhosting provider, or their network, or my particular server.

Rarely does my server see much load.

IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #3 - Apr 25th, 2008 at 2:19am

Yeah, as we've discussed, traceroutes have their own disadvantages.  Page load probably IS a better indicator of the performance of a web server.  What you need is a way to compare page load times locally on the server and page load times at different network locations.

Page load times on the server can be logged by running a command like "time curl http://radified.com/index2.html". ; 'time' tells the system to measure how much time the next command takes.  'curl' is a tool to load a remote resources such as a web page (although it can also load other things.)  You could have that command run automatically every 30 minutes or so and log the results to a text file.  Then all you have to do is look at the text file any time someone reports slowness and you can see if the local page loading time was also affected. 

If local page loading time is slow, check resources on the server like load, cpu, and memory to find out what happened.  If local page loading time wasn't slow when your remote user reports slowness, the problem is either their computer or the network between, which is where a traceroute MIGHT show you something useful (although, again, you have to take traceroute results with a grain of salt due to the limitations of ICMP.) 

Another good thing for a user to do to collect valuable information when they see slowness is to compare page loading time of your site with the page loading time of several other sites - preferable one or two also hosted by WT and one or two not.  Yahoo provides good metrics because they are consistent.  Google isn't a perfect comparison because they purposely oversimplify their page to decrease page loading time.

With all that said, its been several weeks at least since I've noticed any slowness.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print