IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: coffee.....
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 4:03pm

did you *used* to drink?

are you totally caffeine free? (if so, how do stay awake during the day?)

do you have any chemical addictions? (you can pm me if necessary Wink )

feeling better today. almost normal. Mainly just tired.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 4:22pm

Having been through this myself, the best way is definitely to cut down gradually on a schedule over at least a month before cutting off your caffeine intake. This is important to avoid the worst of the withdrawal symptoms - in severe cases, those withdrawal symptoms can extend all the way to vomiting (voice of experience here).

I did this just to prove a point once - switched to tea, cut down over a month, and then went a year without coffee. No trouble with withdrawal symptoms that time around. You mention in the blog that some people recommend this, and I do too, at least for avoiding the physiological issues associated with withdrawal.

The point of switching drinks during cutting down is that for me at least, there wasn't a real addiction to overcome, but it was more one of breaking a habit.... changing your daily rituals around, all that jazz. Habits are powerful things, don't underestimate them Smiley

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 4:56pm

Quote:
then went a year without coffee

That raised my eyebrows.

Breaking habits. Rituals. I hear ya.

Took your advice and had a cup of tea today, tho can't say I felt anything. (No amperage.)

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 29th, 2008 at 7:51pm

Rad wrote on Apr 29th, 2008 at 4:56pm:
Breaking habits.

Yup. It's almost always easiest to do that by making a big change (even if it's only temporary) so that your wheels don't run in the old ruts at all for a little bit.

Rad wrote on Apr 29th, 2008 at 4:56pm:
Rituals.

Gotta have 'em. Many of the things we do in our lives are serving a lot of functions in addition to their surface purpose too; the tea ceremony isn't just about the tea, the coffee break isn't just about the coffee but also about the break. I generally only take one meal a day, doesn't mean that I don't need lunch - just that I fill it with something other than eating, like browsing a bookstore or walking around a park.

Which of course is the complicating factor with making the big break you need to set new habits, you can't just leave a vacuum. Substitutes have their use because you still have to find a way to meet all the other needs your current behaviours were involved in satisfying.

IP Logged

Alex v Kaam
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 3:17am

Rad wrote on Apr 29th, 2008 at 4:03pm:
did you *used* to drink?

are you totally caffeine free? (if so, how do stay awake during the day?)

do you have any chemical addictions? (you can pm me if necessary Wink )

feeling better today. almost normal. Mainly just tired.

when I still was in a 3 shift rotation (1 week 7:00 - 14:00, 1 week 14:00 - 22:00, 1 week 22:00 - 7:00 and then back) I used to drink loads of cola but that is like 10 years ago, stopped it and that was it. 

Most people I know drink coffee to wake up, with me its more if the alarm clock goes off I hit it and 0.10ms later I stand next to the bed, as long as I do that I am awake right away, now if I dont do that I end up all day being sleepy.

So I never really needed coffee to become awake, I drink it when I cant avoid it (so visiting and its offered) but that is probably like once a week or so.

And no, not everybody here has a chemical addiction LOL Smiley

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #6 - Apr 30th, 2008 at 7:10pm

Quote:
so that your wheels don't run in the old ruts  

Sometimes I think it's a macho thing (stupidity) for me .. to see how much pain I can endure.

I am drinking a cup of tea right now. Today is day-5, I believe, and I got another headache a little while ago. Yesterday I was fine, more or less. Weird it returned today.

Quote:
I generally only take one meal a day, doesn't mean that I don't need lunch - just that I fill it with something other than eating, like browsing a bookstore or walking around a park.

Very cool, Nigel. Cool that you *do*, and cool than you *can*.

Alex v Kaam wrote on Apr 30th, 2008 at 3:17am:
when I still was in a 3 shift rotation  

I worked 3-shift rotation while in Idaho, in the Navy. They have reactors out in the desert there, we trained on. When you're 20 years old, you can work anything.

Alex v Kaam wrote on Apr 30th, 2008 at 3:17am:
the alarm clock goes off I hit it and 0.10ms later I stand next to the bed

Glad that works for you, but it seems so .. unnatural. Our ancestors, whoever they might be, didn't have alarm clocks.

Don't you think there is something to be said for following natures rhythms? (wake up with the light, sleep with the stars). Not that I do this myself, of course. My buddy, the Dog, made it a point to wake naturally, on his own, without an alarm clock. Have to go to bed early enough.

It's just that when I go camping for a few weeks, up in Yosemite, you really get into that groove, and can feel the therapeutic effect nature has on us, when we fall in line with it.

Your popping out of bed made me think of boot camp. We'd be dead asleep at 5AM, then hear a loud banging (trash can) .. then > "Drop you kocks and grab your socks! Rise and shine, your ass is mine!"

Some things we never forget. Smiley

IP Logged

Alex v Kaam
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - May 2nd, 2008 at 7:59am

Rad wrote on Apr 30th, 2008 at 7:10pm:
Glad that works for you, but it seems so .. unnatural. Our ancestors, whoever they might be, didn't have alarm clocks

True, they just had this:
to wake them Cool

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #8 - May 2nd, 2008 at 3:41pm

Good point, or in this case » two.

No snooze button on *that* kitty. Smiley

I caved today and had a triple-espresso .. but plan to climb back up on the coffee wagon tomorrow.

IP Logged

sumrica
Radmeister

Down around Biloxi, Miss.

Reply #9 - May 3rd, 2008 at 3:40am

I've been drinking coffee daily for over 35 years.  Some don't like the stuff.  But, I remember the aroma when my parents fired up the Farberware Perculator.  Delightful smell.  It was an adult beverage at our house, by the way.  Iced tea at dinner wasn't, though.  What's up with that?

Now, I don't do triples.  But, do make a hearty brew.  My best bang for the buck preference is Folgers Colombian.

No fretting over coffee by me.  Life would have surely been less without it.

Camping without coffee?  Sacrilege!

http://www.facebook.com/joesumralliii?sk=info  
IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #10 - May 3rd, 2008 at 6:59am

i have nothing against the bean per se. it's just that i don't like feeling that anything has control over me .. aka addiction. so i periodically like to quit.

espresso actually has less caffeine than regular coffee cuz the beans are roasted darker which destroys more caffiene.

IP Logged

Alex v Kaam
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #11 - May 14th, 2008 at 11:02am

and how does the quiting go now ?

IP Logged

Amish.
Technoluster

Dude! (Rad in SeaMonkey)

Reply #12 - May 14th, 2008 at 6:16pm

i went a week. =/

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #13 - Oct 13th, 2008 at 9:15am

I drink coffee in the morning because I just can't bring myself to have a Beer before noon!  Roll Eyes Wink Grin Grin
And, I love the smell of fresh brewed coffee in the morning, even if I'm not drinking it. Roll Eyes

I don't drink anything because I HAVE to....but because I like the taste.
Coffee is actually a little bit bitter, without creme and sugar or a suitable sweetener. 
A little shot of Triple-Sec sweetens it and adds a great orange flavor.

My all time favorite is the normal Mug of Jo with three heaping teaspoons of Orange Cappuccino powder from General Foods, International Coffees.
That makes a very robust and flavorful drink to get my day started.
I'm sitting here enjoying one as I speak.  Yummmmmy!!!

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print