Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Greetings from the new abode!!! (Read 6508 times)
NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Greetings from the new abode!!!
May 3rd, 2008 at 10:41am

To all

Well--that was not as smooth a transition as I had hoped for!

Rad--remember a year or two back when you made a move to a new place--your desktop stopped working--it's when you switched over to a laptop?  We decided then that the *karma* was not right for that system at its new surroundings!!!  I think we decided you should move back to your old place!!!

Well, my system, when I hooked it up at the new house--it immediately started making some vague *clicking* sounds--I think it was coming from the built-in *speaker* (if you can call that gizmo a *speaker*  Smiley ) on the motherboard (never a good sign).  The system re-booted spontaneously several times--and then finally booted to WinXP.

But......it began to randomly re-boot--maybe after a minute or two, or perhaps up to 10-15 minutes--it was never consistent and you could not count on when it was going to crash.

Well--I just didn't have time to trouble shoot--the new house--though structurally sound--it is a *project* house--it needs lots of *tender loving care* (TLC) to bring it back to it true *glory*--painting, patching holes in the plaster board, leaking faucet seals and toilet valves replaced--lots of little mechanical things adjusted or replaced--just couldn't dedicate enough time to computer problems!

Yesterday--finally did some trouble shooting--nothing helped--disconnected all unnecessary components--still no joy!

Finally decided this must be a power supply problem--but couldn't tell you exactly why--except I had run out of any other thoughts.  But I didn't know if it was the transformer (PSU)--or maybe a capacitor on the mother board.  I had replaced the PSU a little over a year ago because the old one had developed a bad connector between the PSU and the motherboard (how does that happen--it just sits there statically???!)--but if I wiggled it--the system would power on!  

So I didn't have any good way to test except to replace the PSU to see if that helped.  Went to a local computer shop, found a suitable replacement, and installed it a half hour ago.

Well, I was relieved to not hear those clicking noises.  It booted without incident--and no re-boots thus far--so my fingers are crossed that all is now well--I'm not really wanting to get a new computer and start over--just not a good time--the *project* house still has much to be done--but I hope to have a little more free time going forward.

I will begin to look over the postings I've not had a chance to respond to for the last couple weeks--bump any up to the top that if they need attention.  It will still take some time to get back to a *normal* routine, however!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Greetings from the new abode!!!
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2008 at 11:27am

He's back!

Yeah, those moves can be hard on the old systems.

Glad you made it.

IP Logged

LoTGoD
Radmeister

Black eyes...broken fingers

Ohio

Reply #2 - May 9th, 2008 at 2:19pm

Owl,
Do you leave your system on 24/7?  I've seen this in my old field of medical software where a client would only reboot the server and never power it off for an extended period of time.  If that client had a power outage, say, over the weekend, they would need a new PSU.  I am betting it has to do with the constant power in the switching portion of the power supply never truly achieving an "off" state during normal operation.

Either way, PSU's are "fairly" cheap anymore, and with the ever growing power needs of our PC's, bigger is always better!

WWW lotgod  
IP Logged

Alex v Kaam
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - May 11th, 2008 at 4:30am

LoTGoD wrote on May 9th, 2008 at 2:19pm:
Owl,
Do you leave your system on 24/7?  I've seen this in my old field of medical software where a client would only reboot the server and never power it off for an extended period of time.  If that client had a power outage, say, over the weekend, they would need a new PSU.  I am betting it has to do with the constant power in the switching portion of the power supply never truly achieving an "off" state during normal operation.

Either way, PSU's are "fairly" cheap anymore, and with the ever growing power needs of our PC's, bigger is always better!

seen the same happen with servers at work, but not the PSU but the HDD, while running they where fine, shutdown system for long maintance and on bootup there was often a HDD that would give issues.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print