Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
GSS 2.0.2 - Optimal Split of Image (Read 3519 times)
Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

GSS 2.0.2 - Optimal Split of Image
May 18th, 2008 at 8:30pm

I created an image of a partition and the image was stored in a partition formatted as NTFS. The image was one single file of 21GB. I am uncomfortable with a large single file. Anyone has any experience  with large files and and any experience in optimal split size of the image?

Rama Smiley

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Re: GSS 2.0.2 - Optimal Split of Image
Reply #1 - May 18th, 2008 at 8:41pm

Optimal by what criteria?

I'd always split at ~2Gb myself, simply because that's the size that won't cause you tool problems with other potentially helpful tools or media. I normally do that with my VMware virtual machines too, for the same reason (sometimes it's useful to be able to copy them onto some FAT32-formatted USB media, for instance).

There's no other real criterion to worry about. Span sizes only matter for concerns like that, they don't affect performance, so choose a span size (or don't span) based on what you actually do with your images in practice.

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #2 - May 18th, 2008 at 9:31pm

Normally I store the images on FAT32 partitions and split the images at 2gb. What I meant about the optimal size, was the kind of consideration of transferring the image to FAT32 partition and problems with any other programs. So, I would be in future stick to 2gb partitions.

Rama Smiley

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 18th, 2008 at 9:49pm

One other place aside from FAT32 which is most notable for the 2Gb size limit is ISO9660; for DVDs to be readable from DOS using MSCDEX they have to use ISO9660, not the "native" filesystem for them which is UDF version 2 or later. ISO 9660 filesystems have a 2Gb limit in practice too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print