Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
One step recovery using Norton Ghost (Read 57047 times)
K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Re: One step recovery using Norton Ghost
Reply #15 - May 22nd, 2008 at 3:43am

Hi Nigel,
I appreciate all you expert comment on whether be it, technical issues or licensing issue, I would like to point out that no harm is done if you be polite in replies to people on the community.

The last reply posted here to user " TheShadow" in my view has been rude especially the last line. I would request you to refrain from using language that is offensive or derogatory in any ways to other.

I would like to bring one more thing to your notice. You say getting bootable floppy image and installing basic boot up code on hard-disk using/linking win98se disc is wrong.
The site www.bootdisk.com has been there for quite a while. If Microsoft was having trouble for its existence the site would hav ended up in legal issues. Beside as i mentioned above, when you use the sys command it copies the basic files to boot the harddisk and not all the utilities. Its just 4 files that are copied, which you also would be aware of.

Anyways.. I have already have trial version in my hand, will update the edition for sure for the members and provide snapshots as well which would clearly show its a trial version which i use for testing.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - May 22nd, 2008 at 4:26am

Nigel,

Is Ghost 2003 still covered by a license? I'd expect so.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #17 - May 22nd, 2008 at 4:42am

I could have perhaps been more diplomatic, but bear in mind that what we're talking about here is not some abstract concept, nor some "victimless crime" against some abstract evil corporate entity.

Piracy of Ghost is the theft of my work, and the work of my friends and colleagues. This happens on such a massive and very serious scale that does in fact represent a serious and ongoing danger to my livelihood, and that of my friends and colleagues.

That's what this is about, and frankly I think I'm entitled to speak plainly and bluntly about that.

I happen to agree with TheShadow that the state of software licensing is a mess, but then this is largely a problem with the U.S. legal system (and I am not a US citizen nor do I live or work in the US - if you folks think it's broken, it's you who have the power to fix it and not me) and the premise that the theft of my work is somehow justified by this is rather more insulting than what I said.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #18 - May 22nd, 2008 at 5:06am

Brian wrote on May 22nd, 2008 at 4:26am:
Is Ghost 2003 still covered by a license? I'd expect so.

Absolutely it does; the copyright resides in the code for the term specified by law, and it has not been released into the public domain - and there are some nasty disincentives for corporations to release code into the public domain, such as tort law, and equally nasty disincentives to release source code due to the disincentives of people mining same for patent violations and the like.

The nature of things is that the larger a business, the more it tends to be subject to those kinds of legal problem. You can't get a lot of money out of a small business without driving it under, after all. Big businesses, on the other hand... in fact last week's issue of The Economist contained some interesting analysis of who the targets and plaintiffs of patent action tend to be - see "Methods and Madness" on page 73 of the May 10 issue (at least, it's page 73 for the version sold in this market).

Copyright it may be, but it's also true that the license granted for use of Ghost 2003 by sale is perpetual and does not expire either.

IP Logged

somms
Gnarly

Reply #19 - May 22nd, 2008 at 4:16pm

Quote:
Piracy of Ghost is the theft of my work, and the work of my friends and colleagues. This happens on such a massive and very serious scale that does in fact represent a serious and ongoing danger to my livelihood, and that of my friends and colleagues.

https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board/message?board.id=109&thread.id=12678

Your work as of late has been lacking judging by this serious bug with Ghost.exe v11.5 linked above...

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #20 - May 22nd, 2008 at 4:22pm

I have the new tutorial for implementing what the thread has been started for. It had taken an ugly turn but i guess at times road gets bumpy.

The main aim is to bring one step recovery manual to users, which as promised is ready Smiley.

For people who have been causing furore here for issues which had delayed the whole process, as i mention in the guide also, i don't endorse any product nor encourage piracy.

For people who have been making noise about illegal use, the guide has special snapshots indicating the use of trial-ware from symantec. I guess that should satisfy there ego Smiley.

The links have been my finding and some may agree to it and some may not. One of the issue raised was for link to the bootable images of win98se. Let Microsoft handle it better. If Microsoft mails me to remove it, i shall happily do so because i don't get money to put websites names on my guide. It an awareness journal and lets treat it that.

This was job of people who have been working in Symantec not people who use it. But i guess the forum shall make their work easy.

Anyways the link to the guide is below. Feel free to read it and post comments on it.

http://www.esnips.com/web/kaviteshsingh/

It seems they wont let me recover the ghost image Angry i created in DOS mode, but what the heck. Who cares, i am not going to buy this software anyways. They charge much more than what is needed and if at all i needed i would have bought just the imaging kit not the full suite which is of no use to me at least.
I have given the command after reading the manuals and documentation which came along.
So do check it if all is working fine with the guide.

Appreciate your co-operations. And i would like this post to deal with what this thread actually is made for not issues which can be dealt at some other discussion topic.

Thanks
Kavitesh.

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #21 - May 22nd, 2008 at 11:33pm

I am wondering, when is DOS mode, would Ghost use the full memory available or will restrict to some limit.
Moreover in 16-bit environment of DOS, ghost runs 32-bit. Is that possible?? Would that imply on 32-bit environment 64-bit ghost would run?

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #22 - May 23rd, 2008 at 1:33am

Heh, two Karma points down already. Gotta love Teh Intarweb.

Quote:
would Ghost use the full memory available or will restrict to some limit. 

Ghost has no particular restriction, but large amounts of memory are of no use whatsoever to it. It basically never reads or writes a disk sector more than once, and so no form of buffering aide from that performed in disk drives themselves is or could possibly be of any benefit.

It may end up in a restricted-memory situation under some circumstances due to defects in the implementation of BIOS firmware, but these are only normally significant in PXE boot environments (where the initial PXE boot package consumes most of what little space the BIOS reports). Workarounds for this exist.

And no, 64-bit Ghost won't run on 32-bit environments, because the 64-bit processors use a very different instruction set from 32-bit ones and even if the processor is capable of 64-bit operation a 32-bit operating system will not configure the processor properly for executing 64-bit code. The 64-bit version of Ghost is for the 64-bit build of Windows PE, which does not contain the WOW64 emulation subsystem in order to be able to run the 32-bit binaries.

There is no practical difference of any kind between 32-bit and 64-bit editions aside from which run ones in which edition of Windows PE, because Ghost uses so little memory.

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #23 - May 23rd, 2008 at 3:47am

Thanks for previous update.

When setting up the one step recovery on my system, i wanted to protect recovery with password. I didnt want anyone to just press F-10 and play around with the system.

If i automate the script i can avoid it to some extent that it restarts the system after the recovery process by editing in AUTOEXEC.bat.

I was looking like something which acronis has, the moment you press the recovery key, it will prompt for password. Additionally u can lock the archives also with password..

Any thing available in Ghost like this ?

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #24 - May 23rd, 2008 at 4:42am

Two Questions more:-

1. I create the C drive image on the restore partition in DOS mode. When i try to restore it in DOS mode, it says it can restore in ghost console. Just the same error taken snapshot in article. I boot into normal windows and use ghost32 to recover, it throws error it cant restore because image is made from different ghost executable. Error code is 10026. So can i assume in trial u just cant test the version fully?

2. Lets assume, create the restore partition the same way described in article. Now i create C drive backup in restore partition. I format the C drive completely and install some other OS. the restore partition is still there, i want to restore now. If i use ghost boot disc or recreate the F-10 option will it write the bootsectors to make the restored partitioned bootable or i need to set some more changes?

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #25 - May 23rd, 2008 at 5:47am

The failure to restore is a restriction to prevent pirates from simply using the trialware and never buying the full product. It does not prevent any customer who is interested in doing a legitimate evaluation of the actual product functionality (since it is available through the console) for the purpose of buying it. Customers of genuine businesses who are interested in obtaining a nontrivial number of licenses can of course arrange a full evaluation through Enterprise Sales, as with any other product in the Symantec portfolio.

The other questions are things that are answered in the product documentation

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #26 - May 23rd, 2008 at 6:12am

I wonder what the point of giving the 30-day trial version license for evaluation.
Since ghost will anyways expire in 30 days within 30-days one should have been entitled to test the full software.

For other products of symantec its not the case, atleast for antivirus i can say.

So it means i cant test the DOS mode functionality of Ghost even after receiving and installing the key from symantec?

For restricting the DOS access, it would be great if you can point out the documentation of link, cauz i have not been able to find the details about it.
Thanks.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #27 - May 23rd, 2008 at 5:29pm

Quote:
For other products of symantec its not the case, atleast for antivirus i can say.

Antivirus requires constant LiveUpdating to be really effective, and there are subscription validity checks in place at that point so pirated copies are not as useful as the real thing. This isn't true for Ghost.

I wish we did not have to restrict Ghost in this way, but because the piracy of Ghost is so blatant and so enormous (to the tune of tens of millions of dollars annually, at the very least) it is very important that we do so. This does not apply to situations where a human salesperson is involved because when that is the case the salesperson can verify that the customer is legitimate.

If anyone evaluating the product is having trouble of any kind (including trouble with the manual), that is what the corporate sales staff are there to deal with. Give them a call. As I said, they can supply legal evaluation copies of the full product to those customers with a genuine need to do so, and there are pre-sales engineers who can help with customers having trouble in larger configurations.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #28 - May 23rd, 2008 at 8:25pm

The article in The Economist to which I referred is available here (as a subscriber to the print edition I hadn't noticed that they have changed the on-line edition so that articles are free to read for one year).

I highly recommend subcribing to the print edition of the magazine, by the way, even for those without an interest in economics. It's written for a more mature audience than something like Scientific American (which I no longer subscribe to, although I definitely would if I had children to read it with since it was my favourite thing in the world as a child of 10) but it is a lively, witty, and intellectually wide-ranging publication.

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #29 - May 24th, 2008 at 5:45am

I have a USB hard-disk (SATA), i wanted to create the backup on of the main hard-disk C: partition. But when i get the option to choose the partitions it shows me only the main hard-disk.

Do i need to add in some specific drivers so that ghost detects the hard-disk. The main hard-disk is from Hitachi whereas the USB one is from Maxtor.

I use win98se boot-able CD to invoke Ghost.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print