Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
XP Pro Install Confusion (Read 6236 times)
jdjdriver1
N00b

I Love Radified!

Largo, FL

XP Pro Install Confusion
May 22nd, 2008 at 10:23am

I just formatted a 320gb hard drive and installed XP Pro using the XP disk. I formated the disk pretty much following the RADIFIED hard drive partitioning strategy. After I directed the XP Pro operating system to be installed on D: (which is NTFS) instead of C: (which is FAT32) I noticed that the operating system installed on D: but the following System Files & Folders were installed on the C: -  AUTOEXEC.BAT, boot.ini, CONFIG.SYS, IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, NTDETECT.COM, ntldr, pagefile.sys, VSNAP.IDX, System Volume Information (folder), Recycled (folder).

Did I do something wrong? Why were these System Files not installed on the D: drive like I specified? How can I fix this problem (I have PartitionMagic 8.0)? If I simply cut and paste these files and folders to the D: drive will my operating system still function (boot up) correctly? If this information is on the RADIFIED Partitioning Website please let me know, I thought I read the whole thing.

Thanks,

John

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Re: XP Pro Install Confusion
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2008 at 10:54am

Since C is your primary partition so AUTOEXEC.BAT, boot.ini, CONFIG.SYS, IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, NTDETECT.COM, ntldr are found placed on the first bootable harddisk.
if you open boot.ini you would see this text
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"
The 2 here would indicate second partition where windows xp is installed which would be D.

For recycle and system information folders, these will be present on all the drives. Recycle will have you contents of recycle bin provided for al the drives, the system volume will contain some filesystem and other OS related informaton.

The pagefile.sys is paging file which windows create by default on first partition. You can change it and bring it to D drive if you want.
Right click on the My computer icon and go to properties, Advanced and then performance section. Then again on Advanced tab and click change in virtual memory.

For the VSNAP.IDX i have no clue what this file is..

IP Logged

jdjdriver1
N00b

I Love Radified!

Largo, FL

Reply #2 - May 22nd, 2008 at 11:46am

Thanks Kavitesh!

I changed the pagefile.sys to the D: drive (and deleted it from C:) but my C: drive only still has 1.54gb of free space (it is a 5gb partition)??? The system files only take up 312kb (Size on disk). What is taking up the rest of the space???  And yes I did clean out the recycle bin........ Can I delete the recycle bin off of the C: drive only??

Also how would I want to do my backups to my G: partition? Meaning do I need to back up the C: drive and the D: drive???

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #3 - May 22nd, 2008 at 12:00pm

I hope your hibernation file is not on C drive, do u see any file named hiberfil? generally that would reside in D drive in your case. Since you say that you have partitioned the hard-disk, i rule out possibility of probable virus attack.

Well i dont think so you should delete both recycle and system volume. But i would suggest two things:-
1. Empty your recycle bin
2. Disable Windows System restore of windows. Right click on my computer icon and properties-> system restore.

Since you would be taking backup of the system, i feel you can disable it on all the drives.

For taking backup, two possible things can be done:-
1. Take a backup of both C and D on G drive.
2. Inless you fiddle around with C drive or virus plays with C drive sys files you can take backup of D and restore whenever you want.

Are you going to use C drive for some specific purpose, because i dont understand why 5GB of C drive? If you intend to keep it as temp files etc, i would suggest you shift the pagefile back to C drive.

IP Logged

jdjdriver1
N00b

I Love Radified!

Largo, FL

Reply #4 - May 22nd, 2008 at 12:24pm

hiberfil.sys is on the D: drive.

I'm going off what is on the RADIFIED hard drive partitioning strategy. It says:

5-GB FAT32 primary partition. FAT32 is DOS-compatible. Never know when you might need to load some DOS disk utilities, or install a legacy version of Windows. Nice to have the capability, even if you never need to use it.

You can still use this partition with Windows XP, since WXP supports FAT32, so the space is not wasted, even if you have no DOS-based utilities. [C: drive]

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #5 - May 22nd, 2008 at 12:40pm

Well, i suggest then you move back the pagefile to C drive, since you would not do pretty much of work with it. this would give you more space to work on in D drive. But do empty  you recycle bin, i guess the space issue must be because of that. let me knw if it helped.
I would say you can use the 5GB for moving all temp files like Internet explorer or default temp folder of windows.

But i feel, it would good if you take backup of C and D then, because it would be helpful in case the system is bootable.

IP Logged

jdjdriver1
N00b

I Love Radified!

Largo, FL

Reply #6 - May 22nd, 2008 at 12:57pm

I already emptied the recycle bin (Reply #2 - Today at 12:46pm) and rechecked it just now and it is still empty. I do not want to move the pagefile back to C: yet as it is showing only 1.54gb of free space and my page file (which is system managed) is 1535MB. Can I copy the System files over to another drive temporarily and reformat C: (with FAT32, I have PartitionMagic 8.0) and when its done copy them back??? Or will my system come to a screeching halt when I reformat the C: drive??? Why is all this space on C: being taken up???

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #7 - May 22nd, 2008 at 1:07pm

Strange.
Well i am not to sure if formatting Cc drive would be good idea.
I feel C drive would be locked by windows so u need to boot into DOS or partition magic to do so..

I had tried this once, but can really remember if by copying the file to D drive and then re-copying back to C would be make system bootable.
On the other hand, even if you format, there is a command using windows XP to recreate the boot sector to make the system again boot up with XP. You need to google it out  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print