Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Creating a backup CD of my "XP" instalation CD (Read 11113 times)
redoak
Gnarly

West Glenville, Sch'dy Cty, NY

Creating a backup CD of my "XP" instalation CD
May 31st, 2008 at 5:12am

A while back a responder here gave me these instructions: "Redoak, most media utilities (e.g., Easy Media Creator 10) allow you to copy a CD even if you only have one optical drive.  The process works by first creating an image (“.ISO”) of the CD and storing it temporarily on your hard disk drive, and then by writing that image to the new CD discinserted into the same optical drive."

I am confused about when the "ISO" conversion takes place. Does it happen with the initial transfer of the Ws disk to the hard drive? Or when I burn the backup CD from the hard drive? I notice that some burning programs have a mode 'burn ISO CD.' Is this when the conversion takes place?

{redoak}

I am 78 years old. Enjoying becoming computer "savvy."

IP Logged

Rad.Test
Technoluster

Rad's non-Admin test-profile
in Firefox

Re: Creating a backup CD of my "XP" instalation CD
Reply #1 - May 31st, 2008 at 2:48pm

I think he's using the term "ISO" in a generic sense. I don't think burning prgms create actual *.iso files (unless you tell them to).

ISO is a standard.

But most burning apps will create an "image" of the CD/DVD on your hard drive in preparation for burning/copying.

I like Nero, which creates *.nrg files.. and Alcohol, which also creates a proprietary image file.

Alcohol is my favorite for this type of copying function.

I used to have a separate partition created solely for the purpose of dealing with these CD images .. so nothing else would interfere with them.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2008 at 5:27pm

Redoak, I believe that I am the source of the text you quoted.  The specific format of the image of the CD that is temporarily stored on your hard disk drive may vary depending upon the burning software you are using.  For example, with Easy Media Creator, it actually creates a “.GI” (“Global Image”) file that is conceptually similar to a standard “.ISO” file.  Once that image is saved, Easy Media Creator will prompt you to insert a blank CD, and the saved imaged is then burned onto the blank CD, resulting in a copy of the original CD.  It’s all a very automatic, painless process.

Does that answer your question?

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

redoak
Gnarly

Reply #3 - Jun 1st, 2008 at 7:32am

Thanks to you both for responding.

Is there a free utility that does the same thing? "Alcohol" costs $40 and Roxio and Nero even more. I really would only use the "Iso" burning capability very few times, so spending $ for a very complete burning program makes no sense.

I now have a clear picture of what would take place with Roxio and, presumably, Nero.

{redoak}

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2008 at 1:29pm

Redoak,
It might just be well worth your while to go ahead and buy Nero.
I've been using it for years and wouldn't dream of setting up a new PC for myself without it.
It will do everything that you would ever need to do with any CD, DVD, or double-density DVD. 

Nero creates its own temporary file to hold the image of a CD when making a COPY with just one drive.  When it's done, it deletes that temp file.
So you never have to worry about those files just building up on your HD.
You'll never know they were there!  Wink
And worrying about what form they take, is completely Immaterial.

If you're just looking for something to burn a CD from an ISO file, there are a number of FREE programs out there that will do that.
One of my favorites is "Active ISO Burner". 
It's probably the quickest and easiest program I've found to just burn ISO's to CD's.
Googling that name will take you right to several sites where you can download it. Wink

Cheers Mate!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

redoak
Gnarly

Reply #5 - Jun 4th, 2008 at 1:02pm

Hi "The Shadow": As a kid, before TV, I listened to "The Shadow" on the radio and in the dark for effect! A wonderful program, along with "The Lone Ranger" and "The Green Hornet." Remember the oft used expression, "The Shadow Knows!"

Thanks for the info re "Nero." I am not "into" burning CDs/DVDs, except for the occasional routine procedure. I do have "Nero Express" for that.

I'll look into the utility you recommend for burning ISO disks.

Many thanks, {redoak}  Smiley

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #6 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 1:26pm

read this link:
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=18845

every one recommends
imgburn
and
ultraISO
124,000 people have read it and down loaded
the
ISO2EXE
(ISO to executable)
there is a version there for music ISO
meaning CUE plus BIN files
for music Cds

regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 5:47pm

redoak wrote on Jun 4th, 2008 at 1:02pm:
Hi "The Shadow": As a kid, before TV, I listened to "The Shadow" on the radio and in the dark for effect! A wonderful program, along with "The Lone Ranger" and "The Green Hornet." Remember the oft used expression, "The Shadow Knows!"

Thanks for the info re "Nero." I am not "into" burning CDs/DVDs, except for the occasional routine procedure. I do have "Nero Express" for that.

I'll look into the utility you recommend for burning ISO disks.

Many thanks, {redoak}  Smiley

Redoak,
You're seriously dating yourself.  Yes I remember those evenings with mom and dad, sitting around the old Philco Radio listening to "The Shadow", "I love a mystery", etc.
Television came much later.
I thought that Nero Express had the disk copy function in it.  NO?
I know it comes with almost every Retail Boxed CD/DVD Burner, but since I've been using the full retail version for years, I've never loaded the Express version.  I've heard that it won't burn ISO's though. ???

The little program I mentioned previously, does that admirably.  If I remember correctly, it was also FREE.

Good Luck to you,
The Shadow  Cool
PS:  You didn't by chance come from the RedOak, Iowa area did you?

IP Logged

zmdmw52
Radmeister

+ve rad.i.cal

Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 7:44pm

Quote:
I thought that Nero Express had the disk copy function in it.  NO?
I know it comes with almost every Retail Boxed CD/DVD Burner, but since I've been using the full retail version for years, I've never loaded the Express version.  I've heard that it won't burn ISO's though. ???

Shadow & redoak,

Nero Express (using ver 6.6.0.16, that came bundled with Plextor DVD-RW writer) does offer CD/DVD Disc --> Image (stored as .nrg format image file) creation capability.
Pl see attached images.

HTH

Linux User 483705  |  (openSUSE 11.1,  Ubuntu 9.04,  i686)   w/ Windows XP
jaylinux  
IP Logged

zmdmw52
Radmeister

+ve rad.i.cal

Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 11:49pm

Quote:
From redoak
....but since I've been using the full retail version for years, I've never loaded the Express version.

The 'full' version of Nero (c/a Nero Burning ROM), includes Nero Express interface too; from the New Compilation Box, click on Nero Express button (see attached pict).
To get to this message box, you open Nero Burning ROM & then choose File --> New from the Menu.

Linux User 483705  |  (openSUSE 11.1,  Ubuntu 9.04,  i686)   w/ Windows XP
jaylinux  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print