Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Good defragmenter (Read 13192 times)
zmdmw52
Radmeister

+ve rad.i.cal

Good defragmenter
Jun 13th, 2008 at 8:01pm

What would be a good defragmenter program for a home user on a laptop, 160 GB HD, about 85% used.

Windows defrag (Diskeeper Lite, old version) does not defrag system files such as page file & is also slow.

Linux User 483705  |  (openSUSE 11.1,  Ubuntu 9.04,  i686)   w/ Windows XP
jaylinux  
IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Good defragmenter
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2008 at 10:58pm

I use this (on my laptop):

http://www.raxco.com/home_office/home_perfectdisk_professional.cfm

Easy to recommend.

Wish I had 160 gigs (60).

IP Logged

zmdmw52
Radmeister

+ve rad.i.cal

Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 3:35am

Any freeware/OS alternatives?

Quote:
Wish I had 160 gigs (60).

Get a new laptop (or a new Hard Drive)! (160 GB/250 GB seems to be the standard these days)
At least, you won't need any guidance on transferring data to the new one Wink.

jaylinux  
IP Logged

Spanky
Radmeister

Rad's non-Admin Test profile
in Seamonkey

Same as Rad

Reply #3 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 9:50am

IP Logged

zmdmw52
Radmeister

+ve rad.i.cal

Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 8:01pm

thanks, just installed jkdefrag

jaylinux  
IP Logged

Spanky
Radmeister

Rad's non-Admin Test profile
in Seamonkey

Same as Rad

Reply #5 - Jun 14th, 2008 at 10:48pm

I'd be interested to know how you like it.

IP Logged

zmdmw52
Radmeister

+ve rad.i.cal

Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2008 at 2:21am

It's good & offers 3 diff d/ls (3 diff .exe's), incldg a Cmd Line ver with lots of options. As I am not an expert, I prefer the std .exe.

Apart from above, I also use Page Defrag (another stand-alone .exe) for defragging the page file & other system in-use files (defrags on next boot), ... to avoid page file fragmentation, it's suggested to keep the max=min page file size each equal to about X2 system RAM (an often quoted rule-of-thumb).

HTH

jaylinux  
IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 5:33pm

Generally, the Windows Defrag does a pretty good job.
But not really as good as the Windows 98 or Millennium defrag did. Sad

So, here's what I do in conjunction to backing up my HD once a week.
First I boot up with my Ghost boot disk, then I run batch files to remove the pagefile, all the old Restore Points and all the temp files and other garbage files on the HD, then I run Ghost 2003 and save the file to another drive.

With the drive clean and backed up, I do an immediate restore to C:.
That re-writes every bit on the HD in perfect order, without any spaces and of course NO fragmentation.  Then my C: drive looks like this:

It don't get no better'n that!  And I've not added one single bit to the amount of data on my HD.  Ghost does it all.  A great backup and a Defrag all in one operation.  When I reboot into XP, the pagefile is recreated by XP and is put at the end of my data.  That's the green at the end of the blue data in my picture above.

A little script, forces a new restore point, every time I reboot my PC.

Works for me!  Wink

The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

zmdmw52
Radmeister

+ve rad.i.cal

Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 6:46pm

Shadow,

As I mentioned earlier, I am no computer expert (indeed, find it difficult to change dirs in a DOS prompt without guidance, leave alone batch files & the like).

Quote:
As I am not an expert, I prefer the std .exe.

And so will have to be content with the minimal fragmentation (about 3-4%) that using Jkdefrag & Page Defrag offer, as such system performance improved a lot over the previous level of > 30% fragmentation.

jaylinux  
IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 7:03pm

Dude!

I didn't get to where I am today by just stepping off of the Street Car.

It took years of trial and error and yes, learning DOS.
It also takes the resolve to keep all my HD's in FAT-32 mode, despite all the naysayers that would say I'm crazy.  In fact, Windows XP runs like a scalded dog on my SATA2 HD's, in FAT-32 format.
I really love, being able to access any file on my HD, from a simple DOS boot disk.  Add NTFS4DOS to that boot disk and I can do the same thing on an NTFS HD.

So if you don't have your HD in FAT-32 mode, or you don't have NTFS4DOS on your boot disk, you can't run DOS batch files to clean up your HD, from a DOS boot disk.  DOS can't read an NTFS drive.

It's sort of like, "You can't get there from here....you have to go someplace else to start".  Grin Grin Grin

Enjoy your new defrag program.  I'll stick with Ghost.  It's served me well for many years now.

Take care!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

zmdmw52
Radmeister

+ve rad.i.cal

Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2008 at 7:57pm

Wasn't trying to contend your position or compare/contrast programs,
Just pointing out what worked for me.

jaylinux  
IP Logged

MrMagoo
Übermensch

Resident Linux Guru

Phoenix, AZ (USA)

Reply #11 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 3:03am

Or, you could switch to a file system that doesn't fragment and not worry about the whole issue.  ZFS and EXT3 are good ones.  I've also seen good benchmarks for XFS.

Try this to get your EXT partitions mounted in Windows:
http://www.fs-driver.org/

IP Logged

zmdmw52
Radmeister

+ve rad.i.cal

Reply #12 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 8:12pm

Quote:
Or, you could switch to a file system that doesn't fragment and not worry about the whole issue.  ZFS and EXT3 are good ones.
Switching to those new file systems would also mean switching to a new os, a bigger chore than defragmenting the HD!

Quote:
Try this to get your EXT partitions mounted in Windows:
http://www.fs-driver.org/
I am extremely vary of 3rd party utilities...

Anyways, was able to get a decent performance gain on NTFS with Win XP with a fragmentation level of 3-4% using above 2 programs, and happy with that.

jaylinux  
IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #13 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 9:12pm

Go back and re-read Reply #7.

To re-write my HD with Ghost 2003 takes about 6 minutes.
NO Defrag program on this planet or any other, can do that good of a job in so little time.

Why are you all fighting so hard against something that works so good?

That's ignorant!

I'm done with this thread.  It just gets more ridiculous by the day.

Angry

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 20th, 2008 at 10:18pm

zmdmw52 wrote on Jun 20th, 2008 at 8:12pm:
Switching to those new file systems would also mean switching to a new os, a bigger chore than defragmenting the HD!

Indeed. It's also the case that the claim they don't fragment is outright nonsense; they do, and indeed they must, no filesystem is immune to it. Fragmentation is a mathematical inevitability; the only way it can be eliminated is by moving things around later; some filesystem implementations try to rearrange space online more transparently, but it's really only a question of when the work is done.

Indeed, the filesystem designs themselves don't have much to do with encouraging or avoiding fragmentation, unless they choose to put the data that describes where the file data is far distant from the data itself (as FAT-style filesystems do). For most modern filesystems, they have enough freedom in where things go that almost any allocation policy can be applied to it to determine where both use data and the filesystem meta-data blocks are put, and these policies can improve over time. Some policies do better for some workloads, and so there's a degree of tuning that can be done where it matters.

[ Fragmentation is a phenomenon studied in many contexts, not just filesystems. It affects memory allocation within programs as well, and appears in all kinds of real-world contexts studied in operations research. Anyone who claims something "doesn't fragment" is claiming an outright impossibility, on the same level as a perpetual motion machine or infinite data compression. ]

The other thing is that fragmentation only really appears at a level which becomes a problem in filesystems which reach a high load factor. Below 80% load, almost no modern filesystem has any trouble at all, and most do well up to 90% (at which level the "lite" defragmenter in Windows 2000 and above stops working, just when it's actually necessary!). The best investment you can make is generally in more space (and/or faster disks, of course), so that the filesystems have plenty of room to choose to apply their allocation policies.

It's also worth pointing out that of all the things on a disk, the pagefile is a special case; because of the way operating systems read from it in response to page faults, it matters much less if this file is fragmented compared to almost anything else, because the contents are almost never read sequentially. Because the access to it is so poorly clustered, it doesn't gain any benefit from sequential organization on disk as long as the filesystem cluster size is greater than the virtual memory page size.

[ It's worth noting that FAT32 systems converted in-place often have an allocation cluster size of 512, and this is very very bad for many reasons.  It's best to use an allocation unit of 4k or so at a minimum, which is the NTFS default and indeed the most filesystems use that or something larger. ]

All that said, ZFS is a particularly excellent filesystem design, and the engineers at Sun have done fine work on it. It will be interesting to see it turn up on more platforms in future.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print