Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What version of Ghost Explorer? (Read 11774 times)
TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

What version of Ghost Explorer?
Jun 18th, 2008 at 8:02pm

I have a version of Ghost Explorer that works great with Image Files made with Ghost 2003.  It's as easy as using Windows Explorer to look at a Windows HD.

But, when I try to look at a Backup Image file made with Ghost 8.3 (2005) the Ghost Explorer program that I have, will not open the .GHO file.

Is there a later version of 'Ghost Explorer' that works with Ghost 8.3?

If there is such a program, where would I find it?

Thanks for your help,
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Re: What version of Ghost Explorer?
Reply #1 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 9:48pm

TheShadow wrote on Jun 18th, 2008 at 8:02pm:
If there is such a program, where would I find it?

In the matching version of (genuine) Ghost, naturally. Newer Ghost versions all tend to extend the image format in small ways, and you need the Explorer from the same edition or later to ensure it understands those extensions.

The only time to my knowledge any version of genuine Ghost was ever available to anyone without the matching Explorer was the Ghost32 that ended up under a different name on the "Norton Ghost" restore CD, which was there strictly for the purpose of restoring .GHO images from Ghost 2003 and not for making new .GHO images.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #2 - Jun 18th, 2008 at 9:55pm

Thank you, but I had it here all the time, right under my nose, on my "Hirens Boot CD".  I just had to UN-Arc it to use it.

Thank you,
Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 2:27pm

TheShadow wrote on Jun 18th, 2008 at 9:55pm:
Thank you, but I had it here all the time, right under my nose, on my "Hirens Boot CD".I just had to UN-Arc it to use it.

Well in my view the Hiren Boot CD contains all licensed softwares but is available freely on the net. It is actually illegal to use it  Smiley

But then i must admit the CD is one handy piece of art Wink and i feel good people like Hiren keep the software companies grounded on pricing.. Else it would have turned into extortion the way the software company price the products.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 2:47pm

It's always amazed the heck out of me that the big software companies like M$ set their software prices so high that no-one on a limited income can even afford it, then they scream bloody murder when someone hacks their program or offers it for free on the internet.

It's even worse in many foreign countries where the annual income is only a fraction of what it is here in the US.  One of my favorite quotes is from a guy in Serbia who said, "we don't BUY software". (expletives deleted)

Vista wasn't even in the stores yet when the cracked versions were available via the internet from eastern europe.

The only thing that will put a dent in cracking, is good software at reasonable prices. 

Cheers Mate!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Rama
Technoluster

You don't appreciate Backup
until you get burned.

Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2008 at 5:06pm

I agree. Long time ago when Quicken was sold at a very reasonable price, I always told my clients to purchase a copy, even though there was no activation or copy protection. Intuit made tons of money and then it  became greedy.

Rama Cheesy

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 12:47am

TheShadow wrote on Jul 18th, 2008 at 2:47pm:
It's always amazed the heck out of me that the big software companies like M$ set their software prices so high that no-one on a limited income can even afford it

TheShadow wrote on Jul 18th, 2008 at 2:47pm:
It's even worse in many foreign countries where the annual income is only a fraction of what it is here in the US

I give you a small example, in my country when Vista Ultimate was launched its price was almost equal to a person's one month household income. I mean it cost here 12,000 bucks in local currency. With 12,000 bucks you can go out and get a new assembled computer when the prices of hardware have reduced significantly.

A pirated version of vista cost 100-150(thats because its on DVD, Windows XP on CD cost just 50 bucks) and they provide a crack to make it genuine so that it passes all the genuine test and you get all the updates. Just imagine you get original for 12,000 and pirated for just 100, the magnitude of difference in both.

The software company forgets to make changes considering the economic status of people in which its selling the software. And thats what is biggest encourager of piracy.

Beside with torrents coming in, people dont even have to go out and get the CD/DVDs. Take a day and download all what you need.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #7 - Jul 22nd, 2008 at 10:00am

Even here is the good ol' USA, where incomes are generally high compared to the rest of the world, many people live on fixed incomes below the poverty level. 

Forking over hundreds of dollars for one piece of software just ISN'T going to happen.

I remember, years ago, buying an upgrade disk to MS-DOS for $10.
Now, that's more like it !!!
I priced Vista Ultimate at a local store, recently, and the price was way over $200usd.  That's completely ridiculous!!! 

Well, anyway, I found the version of Ghost Explorer that I needed, so I'm a happy camper.  It also seems to be backward compatible.

Cheers Mates!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print