Send Topic Print
New to Ghost 14 (Read 49136 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: New to Ghost 14
Reply #45 - Jul 3rd, 2008 at 4:01pm

John. wrote on Jul 3rd, 2008 at 9:58am:
have you ever used Ghost in one pc to copy hard drives that came from another pc?  

John,

I've never tried that. The problem I see is that you have 3 HDs in the computer and the OS you are copying isn't the System drive. It's not seen as C: drive. It has some other drive letter. You should assign a drive letter of "None" to the target during your copy but I doubt this is enough.

I don't think the MBR is a problem as the MBR from old HD is being copied to new HD. fdisk /mbr would correct a "bad" MBR anyway.

helpdesk101 tried a conventional clone with two HDs in the computer. The new HD failed to boot with "Disk read error". Ghost 2003 clone failed too.

helpdesk101 succeeded cloning a HD in another computer but I'm not sure how it was done.

He also had a boot.ini issue in the early stages related to not copying the diagnostic partition. Too many variables. My head is spinning.

IP Logged

zmdmw52
Radmeister

+ve rad.i.cal

Reply #46 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 1:16am

Brian wrote on Jul 3rd, 2008 at 4:01pm:
I don't think the MBR is a problem as the MBR from old HD is being copied to new HD. fdisk /mbr would correct a "bad" MBR anyway.
helpdesk101 tried a conventional clone with two HDs in the computer. The new HD failed to boot with "Disk read error". Ghost 2003 clone failed too.

Maybe this post (up on lenovo forums) may be of some help-see last reply by 'dawog' (and the weblinks); reproduced here for your ref-

Last month I successfully cloned the original 80GB hard drive to a 256GB Western Digital Scorpio WD2500BEVS hard drive on the R61e, but it took two attempts.  On the first try, I used Acronis to clone both partitions (main & hidden), and allowed the main partition to be expanded to fill up the remaining space on the hard drive.  After replacing the internal 80GB drive with the newly cloned 256GB hard drive, it failed to boot.  Normally I've had great success with Acronis, so this may have been an error on my part.  I think I may have let the system "see" the newly cloned drive before removing & replacing with the 256GB drive. I've read posts (on other forums) that state that you should NOT reboot (w/original drive) AND with the newly cloned drive still attached.  I also read some other posts that stated that the main partition has to be the same size as on the original hard drive.

My second attempt was with Paragon Hard Disk Manager, and this time I created an EXACT clone (same size for both partitions) on the new 256GB hard drive.  After cloning, I shut down the laptop & replaced the original 80GB hard drive with the newly cloned 256GB hard drive.  It booted right up first time.  I then used the Paragon Partition Mgr to move the hidden partition to the end of the drive, and then expanded the main partition to fill up the remaining space on the hard drive.  Rebooted & everything still worked like a charm.

Hope this helps.

Linux User 483705  |  (openSUSE 11.1,  Ubuntu 9.04,  i686)   w/ Windows XP
jaylinux  
IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #47 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 1:44am

zmdmw52,

That's interesting. Maybe it does apply to some computers. Numerous people in the Acronis True Image forum report successful cloning from a small to a large HD and resizing the OS partition while cloning. And numerous people in the Acronis True Image forum fail in their effort to clone from one HD another HD. It seems to be hardware dependent.

I've cloned small OS partitions to larger partitions with True Image and Ghost. No problems.

IP Logged

zmdmw52
Radmeister

+ve rad.i.cal

Reply #48 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 2:38am

Brian wrote on Jul 4th, 2008 at 1:44am:
And numerous people in the Acronis True Image forum fail in their effort to clone from one HD another HD.

As he mentions, the problem may have been during re-boot:
After replacing the internal 80GB drive with the newly cloned 256GB hard drive, it failed to boot.  Normally I've had great success with Acronis, so this may have been an error on my part. I think I may have let the system "see" the newly cloned drive before removing & replacing with the 256GB drive. I've read posts (on other forums) that state that you should NOT reboot (w/original drive) AND with the newly cloned drive still attached.

I assume he was using Acronis TI from a bootable medium. Though I am not as technically inclined not being a computer professional, Norton Ghost 2003 should work as well.
The Paragon option using Ghost (exact Hard Disk copy f/b partition size alteration) 'should' also work-Ghost does have the disk clone (copy) option.

If one of the disks is a Seagate, Acronis TI is now available as a *free* d/l. See here. They claim it works only if one of the HD's is a Seagate; also allows creation of bootable CD's.

Linux User 483705  |  (openSUSE 11.1,  Ubuntu 9.04,  i686)   w/ Windows XP
jaylinux  
IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #49 - Jul 4th, 2008 at 2:48am

zmdmw52,

I think both Seagate and WD have versions of that program. It's a cut down Acronis True Image program.

In the True Image forum, cloning is an area where lots of failures are reported. I've tried really hard to get a deliberate cloning failure with TI but couldn't. I can easily create deliberate cloning failures with Ghost.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1164330999;start=0#0

IP Logged

Korby
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #50 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 11:17am

Why use 3Com Boot Services?
By using 3Com Boot Services in combination with PXE-compatible
boot ROMs and Symantec Ghost, you can automate the use of
Symantec Ghost and consequently reduce TCO. Because it stores
the boot image file on the server, Boot Services eliminates the need