Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Help making a recovery CD like Dell or HP offers With Ghost 2003 (Read 16069 times)
Shawn
Ex Member

Help making a recovery CD like Dell or HP offers With Ghost 2003
Jun 27th, 2008 at 3:37am

Hello,
I have made a clone of my hard drive after setting up my OS, installing various programs and tweaking all my settings to my liking.  I used Norton Ghost 2003 to clone the hd to one DVD.  Norton's PCDOS menu is ok but I like how dell, hp and emachines simplify the restoration process by simply prompting the user with a question like, "Warning you are about to wipe all data from the computer and reinstall the OS.  Type "Y" to proceed or ESC to abort."  Is there anyway I can edit the Cloned DVD image to make something like this?
Thanks in advance for any info.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Help making a recovery CD like Dell or HP offers With Ghost 2003
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2008 at 6:13am

Shawn,

If you are after an automated restore, see...

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1203371188

It can be done with Ghost 2003. Reply #59.

IP Logged

Shawn
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2008 at 5:13am

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the quick reply.  This is not really what I was loooking for.  See I like having the image stored on the DVD but I don't really care for the Ghost PC-DOS menu in that you can only use the keyboard tab key to navigate through the menus.  I am looking for a way to edit my already burnt image to instead boot to DOS and prompt a user whether or not to reinstall the OS.  I was thinking of using the boot files from a DOS floppy boot disk but not sure where to go from there or if this will even work since the drive would be formatted as NTFS.
Thanks

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #3 - Jul 2nd, 2008 at 11:14am

Well you can make a recovery partition as mentioned in my Guide.
Hope you find it useful.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1211223513

you can get the guide from
http://www.esnips.com/web/kaviteshsingh/

By this, if anything goes wrong in any of the PCs you are one step away to restore it to original condition.

The guide is same as what you call the recovery partition in the laptops and desktop placed in the harddisk.

For the DVD, you can edit the autoexec.bat file to run a batch file which will load ghost and proceed with the recovery.

For automating the recovery you would need commandline operations of Ghost. You will have the commandline option in my guide.

The only change required will be of the source which will be dependent on CD-drive letter.

I hope this helps.

Quote:
Norton's PCDOS menu is ok but I like how dell, hp and emachines simplify the restoration process by simply prompting the user with a question like, "Warning you are about to wipe all data from the computer and reinstall the OS.Type "Y" to proceed or ESC to abort."Is there anyway I can edit the Cloned DVD image to make something like this?

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #4 - Nov 6th, 2008 at 12:25pm

Quote:
Hi Brian,
Thanks for the quick reply.This is not really what I was loooking for.See I like having the image stored on the DVD but I don't really care for the Ghost PC-DOS menu in that you can only use the keyboard tab key to navigate through the menus.I am looking for a way to edit my already burnt image to instead boot to DOS and prompt a user whether or not to reinstall the OS.I was thinking of using the boot files from a DOS floppy boot disk but not sure where to go from there or if this will even work since the drive would be formatted as NTFS.
Thanks

Is this you looking for??
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1217024697/

IP Logged

Isi Four
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 2:07pm

Where is the guide form "One step recovery using Symantec Ghost..pdf" document?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #6 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 11:48pm

@
Isi Four

When you click on K Singh's link to his *esnips.com* webpage , I see you have left a *Comment* there--just above your comment is the listing for the pdf file.

Click on that link, and on the next page, one of the options is to *Download*--click on the *Download* link and you will open the pdf file--or be given the option to download it to your system for viewing there.

Hope this helps.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Isi Four
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 6:40am

Thanks Nightowl I got it now...

IP Logged

Isi Four
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 7:20am

How can I create an image of the restore partition and burn it to a bootable DVD?

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #9 - Apr 16th, 2009 at 12:46pm

Isi Four wrote on Apr 2nd, 2009 at 2:07pm:
Where is the guide form "One step recovery using Symantec Ghost..pdf" document?

Thanks Nightowl for helping in locating the Guide. I been away for quite a while hence not able to check forum regularly.

Though i removed all the conflicting issues with the guide which lead to some unwanted controversy, on talking to Rad had sent the updated version to Nigel for approval. Somehow he left the forum and hence the guide could not find place on the forum for upload.

Anyways the esnips link will remain active for as much as possible.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print