Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New Seagate DiscWizard (Partitioning + Cloning tool) (Read 66927 times)
zmdmw52
Radmeister

+ve rad.i.cal

New Seagate DiscWizard (Partitioning + Cloning tool)
Jul 3rd, 2008 at 8:02pm

Happened to stumble upon this -
It seems Seagate now offers Acronis TrueImage + it's partitioning program (DiscWizard), integrated into the new DiscWizard (current ver 10.0.5077). The Manual gives useful info.

As far as can be made out, it's
free-to-use
(no licensing fees or online registration is required); however at least one hard disk in the PC should be a Seagate. Just installed it on my desktop (1 Seagate IDE & 1 WD SATA hard drives) and seems to work fine. Bootable media ("full' - with support for USB, PC Card (PCMCIA) and SCSI hard disks; "safe" - minus those drivers) can also be created from within the program.

PS: The d/l is a significant 102 MB.

Linux User 483705  |  (openSUSE 11.1,  Ubuntu 9.04,  i686)   w/ Windows XP
jaylinux  
IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Re: New Seagate DiscWizard (Partitioning + Cloning tool)
Reply #1 - Jul 5th, 2008 at 4:09pm

If you could download the ISO for the bootable CD, it would be only about 40 megs, if NOT compressed.  (I always compress my ISO's with 7Zip)

I have the program but I had never used it to make the bootable media.
I'll see how that works in comparison to Maxtor's "Max Blast".

I've already opened a thread on FREE backup software for Vista.

Shadow  Cool

Later:
I made the bootable media (CD) and booted up my Vista PC and started the clone.  It's running as I type.  It looks exactly like the MaxBlast program, also supplied by Acronis.  I'd expect the results to be the same too.  Acronis, by any other name is still Acronis.

Even later:
The cloning process completed as expected and the clone booted the PC with no problem.  I did note that Vista installed some kind of Generic driver on boot and wanted to be restarted.  No problem....after a restart everything was normal.  I'm using two, identical Maxtor 160 gig SATA2 drives.

To have a crash proof backup for your Vista PC, all you need is Seagates Seatools or Maxtor's MaxBlast and a spare hard drive of sufficient size.
That would preferably be a HD the same size as your main drive.

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2008 at 3:14pm

Hello again
it also got a Bart PE plug in when set up choose custom then tick Bart PE

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=20220

if you know a bit more about computers try this Acronis 11 for Bart PE !!
http://ubcd4win.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10471

Regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

K Singh
Radmeister

Devil's Paradise

Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2008 at 2:28am

Well maxtor is part of seagate. So the software you talking is the same in my view.
I have tried Acronis and it works like a charm. Very quick in recovery.
Beside its all wizard driven so not much confusion.

One more thing i like about Acronis.. The Tech support. You wont get any better than this.
Symantec support sucks big time. I had initially trial version and use to contact support of Acronis. They would help me in each and every possible manner.

Thumbs up to acronis. And since i have maxtor so creating restoring backup using this program rocks..

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #4 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 7:41am

The CD made by SeaTools and the one made by MaxBlast are for all practical purposes "Identical".

Once the Boot CD's are made, the Software package that was installed on the HD can be removed.  It no longer serves any real purpose, except to add to the file load (bloat) on the HD.  Everything you need to backup or clone a HD is on the CD.

As long as one of your HD's is a Seagate or Maxtor, the other HD in the backup or cloning process can be a WD, Samsung, Toshiba or whatever.

The Boot CD's are NOT copy protected and can be copied as many times as required.  Make some spares and put them away in a safe place.

Cheers mates!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

spuddo
Dude

I Love Radified!

Australia

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2008 at 11:09pm

I installed this and have used it on my system and it works fine for me with the exception that the bootable disk only works in safe mode not full mode with USB support.

It seems you can only image whole partitions or disks not individual folders.  Not really a problem for me.

IP Logged

spuddo
Dude

I Love Radified!

Australia

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 2:54am

I have now included Seagate Disk Wizard as a plugin in UBCD4WIN.  The Disk Wizard software comes comes with a Bart PE plugin which was easily included.  (You have to select Bart PE when you install Disk Wizard).  I simply added the Seagate Bart PE plugin in the UBCD4WIn build.  I now have a boot disk including Disk Wizard (Acronis) with full Windows USB, Mouse, Network etc as is normal with UBCD4WIN.  For some reason it doesn't apear in the Program list but can be launched from Explorer.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 12:34pm

I selected BartPE when installing Disk Wizard, but pebuilder doesn't seem to find the BartPE plugin.  It seems to be looking for a CAB file, but there are none in the Seagate BartPE folder.  I tried selecting all the files in the Seagate BartPE folder, one at a time, but error message is given on all of them.  Am I doing something wrong, or could Disk Wizard have changed since spuddo did it?

Edit: Inspite of the error messages it seems the plugin was included in the BartPE build. I was expecting to see a plugin named Acronis since instructions were to rename the folder to Acronis, but plugin was named Seagate Disk Wizard. Most importantly it works! Boot to CD and run Disk Wizard from it.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Mar 18th, 2009 at 10:16pm

spuddo, I figured out how to get Seagate Disk Wizard to show in menu after boot to BartPE CD.  While browsing some other sites, I noticed in post #2 at http://ubcd4win.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10471 it has MENU ID="Programs" in the Nu2Menu file in BartPE folder for Acronis True Image while Seagate Disk Wizard has MENU ID="Storage" in its Nu2Menu file.  I used Wordpad to edit the Nu2Menu file to change "Storage" to "Programs" for MENU ID= in the Seagate Disk Wizard Nu2Menu file, and Seagate Disk Wizard appears in programs after boot to BartPE with this change to the Nu2Menu file.  Other changes may be made to the file to get it to show under Backup as well according to the link.

BTW Maxtor's Maxblast 5 appears identical to the Seagate Disk Wizard which should be useful to those who have Maxtor drives and not Seagate drives.  It is also a free download and should also be able to be run from a BartPE boot CD via the BartPE plugin.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #9 - Apr 4th, 2009 at 10:51am

Some have reported getting error message that a Seagate drive is required because Disk Wizard doesn't recognize the external USB Seagate drive.  There's a possible fix for for this problem at http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/message?board.id=Discwizard&thread.id=264, but I've not had the need to try it yet.  I'd like to know if it works if someone does try it.

Recently I used Disk Wizard from BratPE CD to successfully create image and restore to partition on a Win2k SP4 system.  It took just 4 minutes to create image of 7GB of data, 2 minutes to validate image and 6 minutes to restore image compared to about an hour for each step using Ghost 2003. 

I'm much impressed with th difference in time, but the Disk Wizard image file is invisible to Windows.  The folder shows 0 bytes when properties for folder are checked, and no files are seen when the folder is opened in Windows.  Is this normal, and how can such files be deleted either from Windows or from Disk Wizard?  Previously using Ghost 2003 I create system image every 4 months and delete images over 8 months old and would like to do the same for Disk Wizard images.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #10 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 7:27am

Every four months?
Ya gotta be kidding!

The world goes a third of the way around the sun in four months.
Just too many things happen in that length of time to make a four month old Image File worth anything.

I encourage anyone doing backups, to do them at least once a week.

Just a thought!

Shadow  Cool

PS:  To use the Seagate program you must have at least one Seagate drive, internally mounted in your system.  Likewise Maxblast wants to see at least one Maxtor drive.
If you run Acronis True Image itself, from a boot CD, you can backup any brand of HD.  I find that more useful.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #11 - Apr 6th, 2009 at 8:49am

I backup data every time files are added or modified, and I backup the OS drive every 4 months.  The only thing I lose in the event of catastrophe is 4 months of updates which are very easily downloaded and reinstalled if necessary.

BTW according to the link in my reply #9 there's a work around to backup non Seagate drives with the program, but I've not had the need to try it as all of my computers have internal Seagate or Maxtor drives.  I'd be interested to hear results if anybody has a computer with non Seagate drive could try it.

IP Logged

Lurker
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

GMT -5

Reply #12 - Apr 13th, 2009 at 8:20pm

There are so many links and sidebars in this forum, it's easy to miss something.  Looks like Shadow missed that one.  I wonder how many others did too?
I almost missed it myself. Roll Eyes
Well it's not worth busting someone's chops over anyway.

That Tip read:

Solution

At the Error screen, hold down the Alt key while you type t then o (for tech override), and then click OK.

Credit

Mike D., Seagate Tech Support

Symptom
When booting the DiscWizard / MaxBlast boot CD to image a non-Seagate/Maxtor hard drive to the FreeAgent Go, the following screen is displayed:

Error

To use the products at least one Seagate or Maxtor device should be installed in your system.
and there is only an OK button; clicking that powers off the machine.

That sounds like a worthy tip for those poor souls with only a WD drive. Grin

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #13 - Apr 17th, 2009 at 8:48am

On 4/16/09 I discovered there are some limitations for restoring image to partition using Seagate Disc Wizard.  I had 2 Western Digital 250GB SATA drives that I wanted to restore to 2 different 450GB partitions on a 1TB Seagate drive after the WinXP active partition was successfully restored.  During the restore process there's a step where the only options are "Free space before" and "Free space after."  Selecting either of these choices creates within the target partition another partition the size of the image being restored leaving the remainder of the target partition as unformatted free space.  Also the time to create the image plus restore it was about 10 hours.  Previously I'd used Disc Wizard to restore image of a larger drive to a smaller partition on a Dell alptop which worked perfectly without problems.   

Using Ghost 2003 I was able to just do a partition to partition clone which worked perfectly and took only about 3.5 hours.  Ghost transferred the contents of the 250GB old drive to the 450GB new drive leaving 200GB free space in that partition/drive letter which is exactly what I wanted.

This seems to indicate Seagate Disc Wizard is a good free non Ghost alternative when replacing or transferring an entire drive or transferring contents of one drive/partition to one of equal or smaller size but not to a larger one.

IP Logged

TrDo
N00b

I Love Radified!

Athens

Reply #14 - May 6th, 2009 at 2:51pm

Hello everyone,

I'm all new and fresh here, so first of all it's nice to be here!

I have a couple of questions and need a bit of help and guidance.

I 'm planning in downloding the DiscWizard for my 2 Seagate Barracuda drives. I also want to make the bootable media cd.

During installation should I also install the BartPE plug-in or not?

If I do when and how can I use it?

Will the boot cd work without the BartPE plug-in?..or in other words will the Linux cd created by DiscWizard boot my windows Vista or do I really need the WinPE enviroment that the BartPE creates?

I'm not a comp geek and I would appreciate a  non-technical explanation-like explaining something to a  15y old-

I have been reading about the BArtPE , but I cannot make sence of it in real terms.

Finally, I have a boot cd provided to me by the OEM provider of my WinVista..I 've used it, and it works.  Do I really need to create the bootable media cd from DiscWizard?

Thank you vv much guys..and please do not reject my request as being naive..I'm trying to learn.
Thanks a million again.Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print