Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
New Seagate DiscWizard (Partitioning + Cloning tool) (Read 66926 times)
TrDo
N00b

I Love Radified!

Athens

Re: New Seagate DiscWizard (Partitioning + Cloning tool)
Reply #15 - May 9th, 2009 at 3:36pm

Hey guys,

I thought this was a helping forum...

Not much help though, is there?

It's a pitty for people to wait and NO-ONE seems to care..

Not nice at all..

Sad

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - May 9th, 2009 at 3:43pm

TrDo,

I haven't used DiscWizard. What are you planning to do?

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #17 - May 9th, 2009 at 4:26pm

You don't have to include BartPE plugin during Disc Wizard install, but I'd recommend it in case it's needed.  You only need to make boot media CD if you want to run the program without boot to Windows which is absolutely necessary in the even of failure to boot Windows.  I don't even consider imaging programs without bootability to CD or other media.

For my Win2k SP4 system the Disc Wizard boot CD failed to completely boot, and I had to create a BartPE CD which I actually like better because other programs can be included in the BartPE CD.  Creating the BartPE CD isn't that difficult, but it may be simpler for you to use the boot media CD if it works for you.

Using Disc Wizard I've now successfully made image and restored image to 2 different Win2k SP4 systems plus 2 different WinXP SP2 systems without problem.

IP Logged

TrDo
N00b

I Love Radified!

Athens

Reply #18 - May 10th, 2009 at 2:25am

Hi Brian and Tator,

@Brian:  I was delighted to find out that DiscWizard is a free app for people using Seagate drives, and as such my research efforts in deciding which Disc Imaging I should use, now come to an end. I have decided to use the DiscWizard app to back up my drive, and I wanted to clarify these details-at my earlier post-, before I do.  To be honest I'm a bit afraid to use it; not that I've heard bad reviews about it, it's just that I haven't done it before and I'm afraid of doing something wrong.

@Tator: I've seen that you have used it, quite extensively.  I'll follow your advice in creating the BartPE plug-in, and I would appreciate if you could tell me whether if I was to successfully create the bootable media cd (from DiscWizard), I could then test it to boot my pc without creating any serious problems to my pc, which currently runs fine.  It would be a test, on a fine working pc! (note:I run Vista Home Premium 32).

Thank you both very much for your time and efforts.  I hope we keep this thread running for two reasons:

1. Not all people can afford the expensive alternative apps to DiscWizard.  I know there are some free apps, but that requires a different discussion basis.

2. It's one of the very few decent threads I found on the web, about this issue.

Thanks again.

TrDo. Smiley

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #19 - May 10th, 2009 at 10:03am

There should be no adverse effects if it fails to boot to boot media CD.  It'll either boot successfully, or it'll hang during boot as it did in my instance.  In that event all you have to do is remove the CD and press Ctrl-Alt-Del to boot to Windows normally.  However, I just realized you're running Vista, and WinXP is needed to make a BartPE CD.  You may have to use the boot media CD instead of BartPE unless you have access to a WinXP system.

IP Logged

TrDo
N00b

I Love Radified!

Athens

Reply #20 - May 10th, 2009 at 12:40pm

Hi Tator,

I do not have access to a WinXP system.  What should I do then?...I'll try to use the boot media cd, to boot.

Let me see if I got that right; In case it fails to boot through the boot media cd, I can't use the BartPE CD, because I won't be able to create it in the frst place, right?

But why the BartPE CD is so important? I cannot understand that.  I mean, if the boot media cd works, should I also have the BartPE as well?

Thanks a lot mate.

TrDo.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #21 - May 11th, 2009 at 9:28am

The BartPE simply allows other programs to be included on a single boot CD and was needed in my case because the boot media CD wouldn't boot on my system.  However, you should have no problem using the boot media CD to run DiscWizard if it boots on your system, and the BartPE CD won't be necessary in that event.  I hope the boot media CD works for you, and just use it and forget the BartPE CD if it works.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #22 - May 11th, 2009 at 10:45am

Just curious:  Will the Seagate DiscWizard tool restore a backup image or perform a clone operation to a non-Seagate brand hard disk drive?

Thanks.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

TrDo
N00b

I Love Radified!

Athens

Reply #23 - May 11th, 2009 at 10:51am

Hi Tator,

Thanks a lot mate.  I'll keep you informed.  You're great!

Hi Pleonasm (that's a Greek word, by the way),

The specs at the Seagate site and the manual, which I've read till the last page, say that you have to have at least one Seagate Drive.

But if you take a look at the post with Blue Letters, at the previous page of this thread, you'll see that there is a workaround.  From what I understand, following the nfo as stated there, it should work on any drive.

Hope this helps.

TrDo.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #24 - May 11th, 2009 at 1:14pm

The options in Seagate Disc Wizard are "Clone," "Add New Drive," "Create Image," "Restore Image" and "Verify Image."  I've used it to create and verify images from from non Seagate drives and restore images to Seagate drives as well as 1 instance of create and verify image from non Seagate drive and restore image to non Seagate drive.  I suspect clone from 1 drive to another should work equally well whether drives are Seagate or not if the solution in reply #12 of this thread works, but I've not yet had the need or the opportunity to try it. 

BTW I always verify images created with Seagate Disc Wizard and always run the "Check Image Integrity" for Ghost images to be sure the images are good and are restorable.  There have been 1 or 2 times the Ghost image failed to pass integrity check, and I had to recreate the image which passed integrity check after its recreation.

IP Logged

TrDo
N00b

I Love Radified!

Athens

Reply #25 - May 16th, 2009 at 2:22pm

Well, iot works like a charm.  Installation fine.  Bootable Cd fine. Tested it and works.

Disc Image fine. Verified as well.  It's a super app.  And it's free! Smiley

Thanks a lot guys..
TrDo.

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #26 - Jun 7th, 2009 at 5:01pm

Today I had the opportunity to try the solution in reply #12 on 2 non Seagate drives.  I got the message "No Seagate drives were found on your system..."  After pressing "Alt" and then typing "to" as instructed in the solution, DiscWizard continued to completion.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #27 - Jun 9th, 2009 at 9:54am

@
Tator

Quote:
Today I had the opportunity to try the solution in reply #12 on 2 non Seagate drives.  I got the message "No Seagate drives were found on your system..."  After pressing "Alt" and then typing "to" as instructed in the solution, DiscWizard continued to completion.

That's good information to know--thanks for that report!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

Tator
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

Reply #28 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 11:22am

Just recently I encountered an older Athlon 1900+ system running WinXP that failed to boot to my BartPE CD even though it boots Ghost 2003 CD just fine.  Also I recently got my first laptop running Win7 Home Premium 64 bit that also failed to boot to the BartPE CD. 

Some Google searching found there's a newer version of Seagate Discwizard which is version 13 that is required for Win7 versus the version 11 used in the BartPE CD.  Download and install of Discwizard version 13 resulted in ability to create a Discwizard boot CD that does boot on the system which failed to boot with the boot CD created using Discwizard version 11.

I'm disappointed the BartPE concept has obviously become outdated, but I'm glad Seagate fixed boot issues with the previous Discwizard version 11.  Also the latest Discwizard version 13 may also be used to partition a 3TB drive into 2 or more partition to use full capacity of larger drives on WinXP systems if any are interested in that.  There's a link under the Knowledge Base link on the Seagate site that tells how to use the latest Discwizard version for that purpose plus other helpful links there.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #29 - Oct 3rd, 2012 at 5:16pm

@
Tator

Did you get a transient BSOD when you tried to boot the BartPE CD? I saw that recently on a friend's new laptop.

Tator wrote on Oct 3rd, 2012 at 11:22am:
Also the latest Discwizard version 13 may also be used to partition a 3TB drive into 2 or more partition to use full capacity of larger drives on WinXP systems if any are interested in that.There's a link under the Knowledge Base link on the Seagate site that tells how to use the latest Discwizard version for that purpose plus other helpful links there. 

Do you have a link to that page as I can't find it?

Edit... Found it. Interesting.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print