Send Topic Print
XP Pro Clean install (Read 8659 times)
William
Dude

I Love Radified!

XP Pro Clean install
Jul 6th, 2008 at 5:00am

Hi All,

am using the rad clean install windows guide to clean install XP Pro on my sister's sony vaio vgn-fs215b laptop. This is going reasonably well. I used my XP Pro disk (licensed) to partition and reformmat her HD. I then installed XP. I am in the process of doing all the windows updates, and have to restart quite a lot. Each time I restart the system I get to an O/S choice screen that asks me if I want to boot HOME or PRO. If I choose home it tells me it can't.

Does anyone have any ideas about what is going on and what I should do about it?

Will.

IP Logged

William
Dude

I Love Radified!

Re: XP Pro Clean install
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2008 at 5:02am

To clarify - why am I seeing this boot screen at all and what do I do to get rid of it so that when my sister boots her system she isn't faced with this annoying non choice every time?

Will

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Jul 6th, 2008 at 5:13am

Will,

Could you post your boot.ini here?

IP Logged

William
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Jul 6th, 2008 at 6:36am

Yes,

if you tell me how!

Will

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2008 at 6:42am

Right click My Computer, Properties, Advanced tab, Startup and Recovery section, Settings, Edit.

Copy and Paste the contents of boot.ini so we can see what's there.

IP Logged

William
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2008 at 7:48am

Hi Brian,

I think that I have made a hash of the whole thing. The plan at the moment is to start from scratch again. My sister has been very forgiving. I am leaving her my working laptop and taking her's home.

If I do as I did last time and boot from the XP CD and delete all the partitions, recreate a primary partition, format (not quick) it and install XP Pro to it, and then create an extended partition with a logical drive using the disk manager in XP will I be in a situation where the laptop won't ask me if I want to boot HOME or PRO, or is the boot.ini stored 'deeper' in the hardware?

Thanks again for the help.

On a personal note I feel like a bloody idiot - i'd planned to get her system running like a well oiled machine - at the moment she has an expensive doorstop Embarrassed

Will

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Jul 6th, 2008 at 8:10am

Will,

I'll be out of town for a week. All you need to do is make a small change to your boot.ini.

IP Logged

William
Dude

I Love Radified!

Reply #7 - Jul 6th, 2008 at 8:30am

Brian,

Thank you again.

I'll look into it when I get home. I've done these reinstalls on my own machines a few times now. I am sure that with some patience and research i'll find the answers. You've pointed me in the right direction.

Will

Enjoy your week off!

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #8 - Jul 14th, 2008 at 9:38am

Windows XP can do some weird things when installing on a hard drive that already had/has an OS on it.

I tried to do an upgrade to a Windows ME install and wound up with ME on the first partition and XP on the second one.  That's not at all what I wanted, but that's what the XP installer decided to do.

After getting the boot menu on the first boot after the install, I accepted it as "not so bad" and just went on from there.

In the boot menu, XP took the top spot, so I just went into the boot.ini file and edited it for zero ( "0" ) time delay, so the PC just boots right into XP without prompting. 
I still have Windows ME in case I need to reference it.

You can also 'flip' the boot.ini sequence to change the default OS that you're going to boot into. 
You can do a LOT with the boot.ini file.

Cheers Mate!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print