Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about naming and domains in GSS 2.5 (Read 4839 times)
TylerJ
Ex Member

Question about naming and domains in GSS 2.5
Jul 8th, 2008 at 9:56am

I work for a large University and we're currently exploring alternatives to the RIS.  We've been deploying machines using GSS2.5 and so far things have gone smoothly.  Unfortunately, we're deploying on a massive scale now (about 300 machines need to be out in a month).

My problem is that, with the way we're using GSS 2.5 currently, we can't set the computer name or add it to a domain before the computer's OS is installed. 

If you recall, using Windows RIS, one could take a computer to it's location, plug it up, boot to network adapter and then set the name and directory location and set it to install.  Once installed, the computer was ready to go - all you had to do was walk away for an hour then come back later and install printers, peripherals, etc...

Is there a way in Ghost Solution Suite 2.5 to do something like this?  I basically want to take the computer to it's location, hook it up (I can stand to use the thumbdrive if doing it via TCP isn't possible), and set it to install with the name/domain info. preloaded?  Or do I have to go to the machine 15 minutes after the installation and spend another 15 - 20 minutes setting up the name/domain info and restarting the machine?

Thanks for your time and I appreciate any more info you can give me.

--Tyler J.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Re: Question about naming and domains in GSS 2.5
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2008 at 6:51pm

The right place to ask this is at the official forums, but as a general piece of background, most of the processes that involve this deal with using PXE, and we've been in a difficult process in GSS getting PXE properly integrated into our environment and process (the problems being managerial, not technical - approvals, funding and staff to do the work).

In particular, it's been difficult because we've had to struggle with multiple third-party PXE servers  - that's going to finally be changing as now we're in the Altiris unit we're going to be picking up (for GSS3, which we're actively working on now) their PXE environments which have all the right hooks for management tools built into them, but that unfortunately isn't much help in GSS2.5 as it is right now.

[ Although I'm the networking (amongst many other things) developer for GSS, and the PXE network protocols are all simple enough, I don't deal much with the actual practical setup and configuration side of the boot packages and the third-party PXE tools that are bundled in with GSS; I wish I did but my workload just in terms of product design and writing and maintaining the code is astronomical, so in pointing you at the official forums that's where our QA staff can chip in who do use these far more in practice than I can. ]

Right now, the simplest kind of process is to send down a WinPE boot environment with a console client, have that set to join up with the console, and then have a console task run to do the initial deployment and name selection and so forth. Now, as it is running those tasks is mostly thought of as something you'd do in batches from the console, not from a client-only environment because that's naturally a much less secure way to run things, and therefore really more suitable for the military and corporate customers who run pretty tight ships in terms of physical access control rather than our (many) customers who run GSS in less secure environments.

However, it is possible to launch a console task from the client in WinPE (targeting that one client) so this can potentially be something you script up in your custom PXE boot environment to help with further automation, but you'll have to create that customised WinPE boot package and do that extra scripting yourself, it's not something which is supported by a wizard.

[ As an aside, I've discussed precisely this process with one customer in the official forums and he had trouble getting it to work, and thus far my workload hasn't permitted me to investigate whether that's a general issue or specific to his environment. However, I designed the console client to allow it so that is certainly something we're wanting to support. ]

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #2 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 2:53pm

" I've discussed precisely this process with one customer in the official forums "

How can I access the official forums ?

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2008 at 7:36pm

By clicking the link to them, either the one above or this one https://forums.symantec.com/syment/board?board.id=109.

The point, by the way, is not to take any traffic away from Rad, it's just that for commercial users as opposed to home users, that's where you'll find more of them to talk to. Unfortunately, the signal-to-noise there isn't what I'd like since the board software is horrible and it's misconfigured, and because some customers treat it as a technical support forum despite it explicitly NOT being that (the employees who participate on that particular forum are not paid support staff, but developers and QA from here in New Zealand who do so on their own time) and tend to demand stuff of us rather than try and help each other.

Still, it's there, and posts there do get more visibility. There's also (finally, just in the last week) a section for GSS opened on Juice but since that's so new there's not much content just yet.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print