Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Best way to upgrade to new laptop hard drive? (Read 63981 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Best way to upgrade to new laptop hard drive?
Reply #30 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 12:09am

Brian wrote on Jul 24th, 2008 at 11:57pm:
I just hope Ghost allows you to restore partitions that are so full. I think we've had reports of difficulties with full partitions.

I can delete stuff.

What would you consider safe for a 30-gig drive?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #31 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 1:58am

The ideal is at least 15% free space. But I don't really know how full the partition can be.

Nigel will know.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #32 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 6:22am

I'm not entirely clear whether we're talking genuine Ghost or V2i now, but I don't recall any known problems at all with filesystems with high load factors in genuine Ghost. In principle all it needs is a small amount of room to deal with rearranging things to fit the new partition, but I've honestly not done much testing at high load factors to know if there are any issues left that haven't been cleaned up over recent years.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #33 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 6:36am

I was referring to V2i restores but the "evidence" may just be hearsay. I haven't tested "full" partition restores.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #34 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 11:15am

Brian wrote on Jul 25th, 2008 at 1:58am:
The ideal is at least 15% free space.

Okay, got it down to 25 gigs, or 84% by my calcs.

Nigel, I d/l'ed G32.exe, but not sure how to package it. I have no floppy right now, long story. But I *used* to have a USB floppy.

I believe Nero will make a bootable CD for me which I can load G32 onto, but not sure if that will work.

What do you recommend?

Or does someone have a ready-made group of bootable files I can d/l?

I'm not sure about the environment G32 must boot to in order to run, or does it execute from Windows? (I use WXP.)

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #35 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 2:44pm

I ran ghost32.exe from Windows. It appeared to open a DOS/Command window.

I noticed my C drive is listed as drive #2 here. Could that be a problem?

I received msg:

Quote:
A source volume could not be locked as it is in use by another process. Do you want to attempt to force dismount on the volume or use Volume Snapshot? If you choose forced dismount then ALL OPEN FILES ON THIS VOLUME WOULD BE INVALID

That didn't sound good so I selected Volume Snapshot. The image said it was "Successful".

I burned ghost32.exe to a CD.

Figure I could boot up with my Partition Magic CD, and swap out with ghost32.exe CD and run Ghost from there?? No?

I am concerned about the MBR being cloned over from the source image .. with both ghost32.exe and Ghost 12 (v2i).

What say ye regarding all the files my system needs to boot after restoring the image?

Once I have an O/S, I can handle it from there.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #36 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 5:07pm

It worked!

I'm back with new 160-GB Western Digital drive. Here's what I did:

C: 40 GB Primary Active NTFS (old drive was 30 GB)
_: 20 GB Primary Linux Ext3 (no swap created, was worried about using too many primary partitions)
D: 25 GB Logical Extended NTFS (old drive was 7 GB)
F: 65 GB Logical Extended NTFS (old drive was 20 GB)

My Partition Magic boot CD gave me problems:

Quote:
Starting Caldera DR-DOS
Error 91
Disk Manager has been detected on drive 1, but Disk Manager is not running. If you are booting from a floppy, remove the floppy disk and reboot. Press and hold SPACE BAR as your computer restarts, when prompted insert your boot floppy.

Hitting Okay takes me to A:\>

If I booted with the new hard disk drive in system with NO boot CD, I got following message:

Quote:
Yukon PXE v3.06 (2004 1109)
Pre-boot eXecution Environment (PXE) v2.1
PXE-E61: Media Test failure, check cable
No OS Found
Insert OS setup disc, then press any key

So I just partitioned with trusty 'ol FDISK, since I can use that in my sleep.

At first, my Ghost 12 Recovery CD wouldn't boot and I started sweating bullets:

Quote:
Press any key to boot from CD or DVD
NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

But after ctrl-Alt-Del, Ghost 12 loaded normally.

Then, after the reboot, and I saw the Windows XP screen load, I was stoked! I was actually on the phone to my cell phone company, upping my monthly minutes, when it booted. (Been talking a lot lately.)

Definitely considerably faster. No doubt about it. The old drive was a Hitachi Travelstar, if anybody cares. I think Hitachi bought IBM's disk drive deivison a few years back.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #37 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 5:15pm

After I finished booting into Windows I received message:

Quote:
Windows has finished installing new devices. The software that supports your device requires you restart your computer. You must restart before the new settings will take effect. Do you want to restart now?

(I did.)

About Ext3, I received following msg:

Quote:
Officially introduced with Red Hat Linux v7.2, Ext3 is forward- and backward-compatible with Ext2. It has multiple journaling modes, as well as broad, cross-platform compatibility in both 32- and 64-bit architectures.

But I cannot see this drive from Windows.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #38 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 5:19pm

Is there a way to be able to "ALT-TAB" (so to speak) back and forth between Windows and Linux? (with having to reboot)\\

Is that what virtualization lets you do? Or am I dreaming?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #39 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 5:27pm

Had to yank 4 screws, 2 on each side, to remove old drive from mounting bracket. Almost looks like drive CLIPS in, but doesn't. Would break bracket if I tried to UNCLIP it. Word of caution to those attempting same.

Surprising how small/light these drives are. The 160-gigger is no heavier than the 60-gigger it replaced.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #40 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 5:45pm

One last thing: Ghost 12 automatically expanded my image taken from a 30-gig drive .. to fill the FULL SIZE of the 40-gig partition onto which it was restored.

Also, I ticked off the following during restore:

* Verify recovery point before restore
* check for file system errors after recovery
* Set drive active (for booting O/S)
* Restore original disk signature
* Restore MBR

Basically, that means I checked EVERYTHING that could be checked.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #41 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 5:48pm

One more thing .. when Ghost 12 first launched .. it showed the two recovery points (images) I had created .. (on external USB drive) .. but BOTH these images were listed as "Invalid" .. under both "Drive:" and "Target Drive:"

when i selected either of these images by putting a check-mark in the box beside it, a red X would appear right next to the check-mark.

(More sweating bullets.)

Had to click the "Add" button and manually navigate to where the images (Recovery points) were stored .. to be able to use them. This way worked fine.

when i selected this image this way, by putting check-mark in box, a green circle appeared beside.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #42 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 6:11pm

Rad wrote on Jul 25th, 2008 at 5:19pm:
Is that what virtualization lets you do? Or am I dreaming?  

That's precisely what virtualization does. Run other "guest" OS's in a normal window on whatever host OS you use. Pretty much the only combination that is hard to do is MacOSX as a guest since it wants to run only on Apple hardware.

The only drawback is that - for effectively full virtualization a la VMWare - they all still need to fit into your actual physical memory, and because the virtual hardware can't dynamically tell the guest OS about memory coming and going, you need to statically decide how much memory to allocate to the virtual hardware each "guest" OS runs in.

[ This is why there are several completely different virtualization systems in Solaris; there are higher-level software virtualizers that work on the UNIX user process level, *and* ones that work at a lower level in the OS, *and* full OS hardware virtualization. The higher-level virtualizers can do more fancy things, and don't need static resource partitioning like the hardware ones do. ]

So, with ~2Gb (or more) of memory you can run quite a few machines, and they can make good use of multiple cores. It's fun seeing how many levels you can stack up, too, and you can *really* get a good hall of mirrors going if you have more machines and remote desktop/VNC.

Rad wrote on Jul 25th, 2008 at 2:44pm:
Figure I could boot up with my Partition Magic CD, and swap out with ghost32.exe CD and run Ghost from there?? No?

It's easiest to run it from a USB device (memory stick or hard drive) with the Windows PE environments from Norton Ghost 12 or Partition Magic.

As I said via e-mail, since I didn't have time to upload the full GSS2.5 install set, I could have prepared and uploaded you a WinPE2 boot CD with it (the Boot Wizard makes that, and creating bootable USB memory sticks, pretty easy) but I figured you could use those other environments in the meantime. If you want to run more experiments I can still do that, it's just going to be slow given the upload cap on my residential DSL until I get back to work on Monday.

At least, that's assuming that the power stays on. http://www.stuff.co.nz/4631448a11.html

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 6:38pm

Here's an example from my notebook (scaled down since it runs 1920x1200 native); Solaris running NetBeans, Ubuntu running kDevelop, and I opened up FreeDOS just for grins (I could have run XP as well but I tend to give the UNIX VMs lots of RAM since development toolchains are pretty memory-hungry)

vms.png (297 KB | )
vms.png

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #44 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 10:09pm

That is pretty cool. Are those installs running nested in another OS, such as Windows? Or are they .. I forget the word, but it means running directly off the hardware, and not floating in another OS .. maybe type 1 or type 2 hypervisor.

Quote:
scaled down since it runs 1920x1200 native
u suk.  Smiley

Files are copying back onto new hard drive now .. going much faster than the other way (to USB hard drive) .. but still taking a while.

Next time I back-up a whole drive to external usb drive, i am going to use Ghost, cuz it seems to go much faster than regular ol' Windows file copy ala explorer. little files take forever. big files go reasonably fast. I mean non-sysem drives.

I have 2G RAM now. How much does Linux need? I want WXP + Ubuntu. I already partitioned off 20 gigs Ext3 for Linux. Will I use that?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print