Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Norton Ghost 2003 & NortonGoBack (ver 4) (Read 4133 times)
zmdmw52
Radmeister

+ve rad.i.cal

Norton Ghost 2003 & NortonGoBack (ver 4)
Jul 25th, 2008 at 11:35am

I am keen to install Norton GoBack 4.0 on top of Norton Ghost 2003, or if not possible with NG 2003, then NG 9.0.

Does anyone have experience or knowledge whether Norton GoBack is compatible with Norton Ghost 2003 (updated ver 793)? If they are not compatible, then I would not mind upgrading to NG 9.0 (from present NG 2003), as both are part of NSW 2005 Premier Pro.
But then the question arises if NG 9.0 is compatible with Norton GoBack 4.0?

Also, does Norton GoBack install in such a way as to cause irreversible change (that cannot be reversed by uninstalling it) to HDD's or 'marking' them (such as I have heard said Partition Magic does)?

Any inputs much appreciated.

Linux User 483705  |  (openSUSE 11.1,  Ubuntu 9.04,  i686)   w/ Windows XP
jaylinux  
IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Re: Norton Ghost 2003 & NortonGoBack (ver 4)
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 11:45am

Why did you post this question TWICE?

If you'll do some research, like with Google, you'll find a lot of info on Go-Back messing up computers all over the world.  I'd rather have a virus!

Ghost 2003 is a DOS program....why would you even want it on your HD?
It's best run from a DOS boot disk, that's why they give you the option of making one.

Use Ghost 2003 and leave Go-Back alone.  That's my best advise.
You definitely don't need more stuff on your HD to cause you more problems.

Good Luck,
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

zmdmw52
Radmeister

+ve rad.i.cal

Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 11:58am

Sorry for the double-post, error in composing,...have removed the duplicate post.

TheShadow wrote on Jul 25th, 2008 at 11:45am:
If you'll do some research, like with Google, you'll find a lot of info on Go-Back messing up computers all over the world.I'd rather have a virus!

A colleague has had good exp with GoBack, as that had helped him out on a few occasions, when Windows XP System Restore failed.

TheShadow wrote on Jul 25th, 2008 at 11:45am:
Ghost 2003 is a DOS program....why would you even want it on your HD?
It's best run from a DOS boot disk, that's why they give you the option of making one.

Not everybody uses NG 2003 (or other version) from DOS boot media; I would prefer both a Windows copy + a DOS boot disk if & when I can't boot into Windows.

jaylinux  
IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 5:43pm

GoBack works by intercepting and remapping all disk access, so that it essentially acting as a software-only virtualization layer for the hard disks.

Now, in order to do this, it customizes a lot of things, including putting a custom physical MBR on the hard disk (to intercept the early stages of the boot loading process), just as the old "drive overlay" software used to do for enabling LBA disk access on systems with old BIOSes that could not deal with the newer standards.

As a consequence, GoBack is highly incompatible with every kind of storage utility. Anything that manipulates the MBR at all, even if it's normally aware of things like drive overlays, may not work - and this is especially true in Windows, where GoBack simply blocks all access to the MBR and this blocks the Virtual Partition system we use outright.

Given GoBack's deep-seated architectural issues in interoperating with other utilities, we don't recommend its use with genuine Ghost at all. It's OK to use it if you only work with utilities such as backup software that work at a file-and-folder level, but not genuine Ghost.

As to GoBack's compatibility with the ersatz V2i-based "Norton Ghost", I can't speak to that at all since I have never used it.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #4 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 11:36am

I won't say more, but read what others have said here:
http://help.lockergnome.com/security/SystemWorks-Trouble-BEWARE-Goback-ftopict49...

Or do what I just did and Google "GoBack Problems".

Cool

IP Logged

zmdmw52
Radmeister

+ve rad.i.cal

Reply #5 - Jul 30th, 2008 at 1:21am

Thanks.
Based on this, I'll just avoid GoBack & stay with Norton Ghost 2003 - DOS ver (similar to 'Shadow', I also find it more convenient to use the program for backup from DOS boot disk instead of from Windows).

jaylinux  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print