Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Image of multi boot HD that uses GRUB (Read 3353 times)
bilsch
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Image of multi boot HD that uses GRUB
Jul 26th, 2008 at 3:44am

The drive I want to clone (using GHOST 2003 DOS boot) is a WD 250 GB PATA that has GRUB in the boot track.  Partitions are as follows:
1. Linux swap
2. ext2fs (Ubuntu)
3. NTFS - WinXP
4. Hidden NTFS

Both Ubuntu and WinXP boot via GRUB.  I plan to clone the HD to a 320 GB WD PATA.  Though the HDs supposedly use only LBA I think the clone might not boot because the drive geometries aren't the same.  I have a notion that GRUB uses some geometry numbers in spite of LBA - I just don't know. 
MY QUESTION: will the clone on the 320 drive boot without any adjustments?

TIA.  Bill S.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Re: Image of multi boot HD that uses GRUB
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2008 at 4:19am

I have no clue, given how ancient Ghost 2003 is; new versions of Ghost know more about how to deal with grub. As long as you're not using LVM, though (which Ghost 2003 emphatically *does not* understand) then if there's a problem them you should be able to repair things by using grub from a liveCD.

Here's a report of someone fixing up the grub menu after cloning with Ghost 8.0 (newer than Ghost 2003 but not by a whole lot).

IP Logged

bilsch
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Image of multi boot HD that uses GRUB
Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2008 at 11:54am

Thanks for the info.  I do need to learn about newer versions of Ghost but 2003 always has done what I need.  I boot to DOS and run it from there.   I bought Ghost 10 a couple years ago but never did much with it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print