Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Boots from CD but has PIXELATED GUI!  Fix? (Read 20811 times)
john98225
N00b

I Love Radified!

Boots from CD but has PIXELATED GUI!  Fix?
Jul 28th, 2008 at 6:22pm

I have a Dell C-840 laptop 1.8 GHz, 512 MB RAM, Win XP SP3.  When I boot with NightOwl's CD, it loads okay but the GUI on the screen is unreadable.  The blue-pebbly background is fine but everything in the rectangular window is extremely pixelated making it impossible to use the program.  (This same CD has worked fine on my desktop.)  

Anyone have any thoughts on a fix?

Thanks,
john98225

IP Logged

john98225
N00b

I Love Radified!

Re: Boots from CD but has PIXELATED GUI!  Fix?
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 10:49am

Okay, I finally found a fix for my pixelated problem ... just in case others may encounter this, here's what I did:  I added
display.sys
(a driver I found on a Partition Magic boot floppy) to my "Extracted Files" list.

Since that file pushed me over the 1.44 Mb floppy limit, I removed
mouse.com
and altered the autoexec.bat & config.sys accordingly.  Now, after using the new .IMA file to burn a boot CD, Ghost opens with a nice, readable, usable GUI on my old Dell laptop!!!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 4:01pm

john98225.

You can use WinImage to change the format of your .ima to 2.88 MB. Then you can add mouse.com and any other files before you make your CD.

IP Logged

john98225
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 1:33am

Brian -

Thanks for the heads-up, but as hard as I tried (and I did for hours), I could not make ANY 2.88 Mb boot image work.  

The computer justs showed a blank screen with a fast-blinking cursor.  

Oh well, I'm having fun trying to win this game!

Thanks again,
John

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 2:22am

John,

I just did this and it works.

Using the WinImage GUI, I made an .ima of a Win98SE floppy. From WinImage, Image, change format, 2.88, save, inject extra files, save.

Using UltraISO, File, New, Bootable CD/DVD Image, find the .ima, open, save. Burnt the .iso with ImgBurn. The CD was bootable.

We did tests recently on using WinImage from the command line. The CDs weren't bootable. It only works if you use the GUI.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 4:10pm

Brian wrote on Aug 6th, 2008 at 2:22am:
We did tests recently on using WinImage from the command line. The CDs weren't bootable. It only works if you use the GUI.  

I just received email from a friend who has fixed this command line issue, but not with WinImage.

IP Logged

john98225
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 11:47pm

Brian -

I appreciate your help here but I'm pretty sure it's not going to work for me.

I just tried it again, from WinImage's GUI.  This time I used the exact file composition outlined by NightOwl - only change was I ticked the 2.44 box as you suggested.  Created the .ima file, burnt it with Nero 6 (where I have to switch out the .ima file at the last minute; the only way it will read the boot image file).  Tried to boot with the CD on both my old laptop and my new dual-core desktop; still just the black screen with blinking cursor.

Actually, it's working fine for me with the 1.44 image since I really don't like to use a mouse with Ghost's GUI anyway.  (Only time it's really nice is when you want to go up a level or create a new file.)

Anyway, thanks again -

John

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 12:16am

John,

I sent you a PM.

IP Logged

elcubanito
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 1:09pm

if you have this problem do again the step by step but change ghost.exe with a new one that you need to create from ghost boot wizard do not create floppy boot up wth standard ghost boot disk but use cd/dvd starup disk with ghost this will create 2 floppy from the second floopy open the folder name ghost and copy ghost.exe to step by step using winimage  makeshore before you save click on image and select boot properties and select 95/98 and clivk ok them save as
type bootcd1.ima

IP Logged

elcubanito
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #9 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 1:13pm

if you have any problems email @elcubanito1968@msn.com

IP Logged

john98225
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 2:00pm

Thanks for the input, elcubanito.  

I'm a little unclear ... do I still use all of the extracted files from the Win98se boot disk or use files from the Ghost boot floppy?  Also, are you trying to show me how to make a boot CD that will have display.sys along with mouse.com?

Thanks,
John

IP Logged

elcubanito
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #11 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 2:28pm

ok let say you are starting all over again do all the step by step  just
like this    http://nightowl.radified.com/bootcd/started.html
but the differencies is when you add the ghost.exe  {step #8  at the step by step direction} do not use the one create  from standard boot disk use cd/dvd boot disk creation from ghost 2nd  floppy  {open the floppy and look for ghost folder that has  adifferent ghost.exe file use this one when creating  the image also do not use the mouse.com from the 95/98se boot use  this one attach  when you finish you will be able to to star from any laptop or desktop

mouse.zip (4 KB | )

IP Logged

elcubanito
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #12 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 2:35pm

some laptop only come with regular cd-rom so when you do it this way and created a boot cd not dvd you will able to boot from any  desktop

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print