Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 14 questions - managing backup locations manually? (Read 3180 times)
MrCrispy
N00b

I Love Radified!

Ghost 14 questions - managing backup locations manually?
Jul 29th, 2008 at 12:27pm

I'm a new Ghost 14 user and so far am very happy. I installed Ghost on a fresh Vista SP1 install on my laptop, then took an image backup of c:\ to d:\ using 'one time task'. This recovery point then showed up for c:.

I then setup an automatic backup job also to take incremental images, and I moved the 1st one I took to a different directory. Ghost had a popup that the recovery point had been deleted and it no longer knows about it. I can still recover from it if I point Ghost to it using recovery point browser, but how do I tell Ghost that it also exists, so it shows up in the rest of the UI?

Another problem I had, I tried to setup offsite backup using an external usb drive which happened to be F:\. Now Ghost has defaulted to F:\ as the backup location. How do I change it back to another drive, and is it possible for Ghost to identify external disks based on their unique serial number rather than drive letters?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Ghost 14 questions - managing backup locations manually?
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2008 at 1:31pm

MrCrispy wrote on Jul 29th, 2008 at 12:27pm:
I then setup an automatic backup job also to take incremental images, and I moved the 1st one I took to a different directory. Ghost had a popup that the recovery point had been deleted and it no longer knows about it. I can still recover from it if I point Ghost to it using recovery point browser, but how do I tell Ghost that it also exists, so it shows up in the rest of the UI?

You don't wanna throw Ghost any curves. Decide upon your location, and leave it there. Moving your image after it has been created is asking for trouble.

I would start over, with a new image in a new location. You don't want to do anything that might make it possible your image might not restore.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2008 at 1:34pm

MrCrispy wrote on Jul 29th, 2008 at 12:27pm:
Another problem I had, I tried to setup offsite backup using an external usb drive which happened to be F:\. Now Ghost has defaulted to F:\ as the backup location. How do I change it back to another drive, and is it possible for Ghost to identify external disks based on their unique serial number rather than drive letters?

Is the "other" drive a physically-different drive? I asked because of the concepts described here:

http://nortonghost.radified.com/norton_ghost_image_storage.html

IP Logged

MrCrispy
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Jul 29th, 2008 at 6:22pm

Yes, I am keeping backup images on a 2nd hard drive in the pc, and also want to keep them on an external usb  drive. I also installed LightsOut which works great as I've already tested recovering the system partition by booting into LO and recovering the image from the 2nd hdd and also over the network!

The issue is ghost by default now wants to store all recovery points on G:\ which was the drive letter of the usb drive when it was on. I want to change it back to the local drive.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print