Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 updates needed? (Read 3809 times)
ericfree1
Dude

I Love Radified!

Ghost 2003 updates needed?
Jul 30th, 2008 at 7:12pm

I have this old disc in my pile, "Norton SystemWorks 2003 Professional"

I know it has Ghost 2003 on it.
I haven't used Ghost in years, but I wish I had (I had to completely re-build my laptop OS & programs.)

Now I want to create an image of my laptop installation to be ready for the next time ...

So, sorry to ask, but two basic questions:

1. Is Norton 2003 still considered a good program to use even though many new versions of Ghost have since come out?

2. Do I need to find and install any updates to Ghost 2003? If so, where?

Thanks so much.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Re: Ghost 2003 updates needed?
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 4:06am

The instructions for updating are in the sticky thread at the top of the forum, which links to our standard process for updating old products.

http://service1.symantec.com/Support/sharedtech.nsf/docid/2007010219171513

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #2 - Aug 3rd, 2008 at 9:21am

ericfree1 wrote on Jul 30th, 2008 at 7:12pm:
I have this old disc in my pile, "Norton SystemWorks 2003 Professional"

I know it has Ghost 2003 on it.
I haven't used Ghost in years, but I wish I had (I had to completely re-build my laptop OS & programs.)

Now I want to create an image of my laptop installation to be ready for the next time ...

So, sorry to ask, but two basic questions:

1. Is Norton 2003 still considered a good program to use even though many new versions of Ghost have since come out?

2. Do I need to find and install any updates to Ghost 2003? If so, where?

Thanks so much.

Eric,
Have you made the Ghost boot disk (floppy)?
If you can run "Ghost.exe /ver" from a dos prompt, it will tell you exactly what version (build) of Ghost you have.  It's my understanding that Build 793 is the last build for Ghost 2003.
(if anyone knows of a later build, I'd sure like to know about it)

You will need that latest build (793) if you want to Ghost an AMD 939 or AM2 motherboard.(for instance)

If you have the GHOST 2003 program on a bootable floppy, you don't need all that GUI bloat on your hard drive.

If you're a 'hands on' kind of guy, you'll love running Ghost from a DOS boot floppy (either an internal drive or an external USB Floppy Drive)

Good Luck Mate,
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Shootis
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #3 - Aug 26th, 2008 at 12:53pm

I've been using Ghost 2003 rev.793 and its saved me many times. My question is how can I update a 775 rev of Ghost 2003 without connecting to the Live Update site. Can I save the file to a thumb drive and update from that? I have a CPU that is locked out of our work network and its the one that needs updating.

Thanks for the help!

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 9:37am

The Ghost.exe file will fit easily on a floppy disk or flash drive so you can take it wherever you need it.  NO Problemo!

Since Ghost.exe is a DOS program, I'd never try to run it from the GUI on a HD.  That just creates needless bloat on the HD and is basically redundant.

cheers mate!
Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print