Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Virtualization, VMWare etc (Read 27464 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Virtualization, VMWare etc
Jul 31st, 2008 at 9:24pm

This thread continues from a virtualization off-shoot of this thread (on Ubuntu Linux 8.04):

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1217103795/47#47

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Re: Virtualization, VMWare etc
Reply #1 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 9:27pm

I found this surpring:

Quote:
You no longer need to power off virtual machines when you exit Workstation. You can leave virtual machines running in the background, even when Workstation is not running.

It is possible to run a VM (even multiple VMs) without VMWare running?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #2 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 9:44pm

More questions. Under headings:

New Host Operating System Support

and

New Guest Operating System Support

it says:

Quote:
�� Ubuntu Linux 6.10
�� Ubuntu Linux 7.04

This would indicate that you cannot install VMWare to Ubuntu 8.04, nor can you run it as a VM in Windows. No?

Seems to contradict previous things we've discussed. Especially regarding the "Appliance" links .. or "appliances" not the same as VMs?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #3 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 9:53pm

Under system requirements:

Quote:
�� 733MHz or faster CPU minimum

512MB minimum (2GB is recommended).

�� At least 1GB free disk space recommended for each guest operating system and the application software used with it. If you use a default setup, the actual disk space needs are approximately the same as those for installing and running the guest operating system and applications on a physical computer.

�� For installation – 200MB (Linux) or 900MB (Windows) free disk space required for basic installation. You can delete the installer afterwards to reclaim disk space.

My Linux install currently uses ~5 GB disk space.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #4 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 9:57pm

Under host operating system, it says:

Quote:
Windows Host Operating Systems (32-Bit)

�� Windows XP Home Edition, SP1, SP2
�� Windows XP Professional, SP1, SP2

Not SP3.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 9:59pm

More interesting:

Quote:
Linux Host Operating Systems (32-Bit)

Supported distributions and kernels are listed below. Workstation might not run on systems that do not meet these requirements.

�� Ubuntu Linux 7.04
�� Ubuntu Linux 6.10
�� Ubuntu Linux 6.06
�� Ubuntu Linux 5.10
�� Ubuntu Linux 5.04

Note no 8.04 (not even 7.10)

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #6 - Jul 31st, 2008 at 10:06pm

Quote:
Installing VMware Workstation is usually a simple process of running a standard installation wizard. This section outlines the tasks you need to perform before starting an installation

Now we're getting somewhere.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 12:05am

Rad wrote on Jul 31st, 2008 at 9:27pm:
It is possible to run a VM (even multiple VMs) without VMWare running?  

With this feature of Workstation the virtualization service still runs, that just means without the interactive GUI application running (which takes the virtual display and puts it in a window for you). Without the GUI running, the VMs just tick along in the background doing their thing, which is for when you have a network service in a VM and don't need to interact with it.

[ There's a kernel driver called vmx86 installed by VMware which actually does the heavy lifting. ]

Rad wrote on Jul 31st, 2008 at 9:44pm:
This would indicate that you cannot install VMWare to Ubuntu 8.04, nor can you run it as a VM in Windows. No?

Of course it doesn't mean either of those things.  When you've got an enormous product suite covering millions of lines of code, the complexity of testing every combination of executables and platforms and updates and service packs and processors is pretty staggering.

The job QA staff has to do is vastly harder and costs vastly more money than most people appreciate. In order to change this one statement, VMware's staff would have to completely re-test every aspect of the entire product - a process that takes a lot of money - to be absolutely certain that they could update this one statement for this one product.

Furthermore, those staff (and all the relevant test equipment) are almost certainly committed to working on finding and resolving any issues in the future products in development and that they'll be refreshing soon. Pulling them off that and spending a bunch of money re-testing existing product to deal with every minor change to a piece of third-party code isn't a good practice.

There's no problem with Ubuntu as either host or guest, and the same applies to XPSP3. In fact, those screenshots I showed earlier showed 8.04 as a guest, and I'm running XPSP3.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #8 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 1:32am

okay, installed vmware ws.

tried to create new vm. (top icon)

it lets me select ubuntu from the drop-down list, as vm name, but when i try to navigate, i can only see ntfs areas.

ubuntu is on ext3 partition, and i can see no way to browse/navigate there. to point vmware to ubuntu partition.

what am i missing?

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 4:10am

When you create a VM through the wizard, you'll create an empty virtual machine ready to install the new OS into, not use an existing one. Given how little value there is in using physical partitions as a backing store instead of a file (it's only sane to do this if you have a very very specific reason) that's not the default kind of virtual disk VMware's disk wizards create for you.

What you're trying to do here is really something that only people already familiar with both the OS being virtualized and virtualization should attempt - really, the best way to go with your first VMware experience is to use an existing VM appliance or install a new OS. Basically, no-one bothers going through this process because MBR-style physical disk partitions are so ludicrously inflexible - even in the "bare-metal" virtualizers which don't run inside a host OS, the disk management you get is vastly more sophisticated that what you get from classic partitioning.

Anyway, assuming you're going to continue with this and have created a new blank VM set up for Ubuntu, what you can then do is remove the blank virtual disk that VMWare created, and add a new virtual disk instead (in the VM settings, in the hardware tab, press "Add").

Choose to add a new hard disk, choose "Use a physical disk", choose the disk (PhysicalDrive0 if you only have one), choose "use individual partitions", and then pick the partition. When you've gone through this your new virtual machine will then have a virtual hard disk which refers to that specific partition in the host physical machine.

Now, after this you start the VM, the inner Ubuntu environment will just see itself as the only thing in there (which is what you want), and it won't have access to the whole disk.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #10 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 8:25am

Quote:
What you're trying to do here is really something that only people already familiar with both the OS being virtualized and virtualization should attempt 

uh, i am familiar with neither.

Quote:
the best way to go with your first VMware experience is to use an existing VM appliance

which one would you suggest (i saw a few there, which all looked similar), and how would i go about doing this?

Quote:
MBR-style physical disk partitions are so ludicrously inflexible 

i don't understang, but believe you anyway.

Quote:
disk management you get is vastly more sophisticated that what you get from classic partitioning

ditto.

Quote:
assuming you're going to continue with this and have created a new blank VM set up for Ubuntu

no, i canceled out of the wizard cuz i was unable to browsevto my ext3 partition.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 9:02am

Rad wrote on Aug 1st, 2008 at 8:25am:
which one would you suggest (i saw a few there, which all looked similar), and how would i go about doing this?

Just pick any one, preferably with the VMware tools installed so you some of the ease-of-use features like drag and drop from the host OS into the VM, download it, unzip and double-click the VMX file to launch it.

Or, since you've already downloaded the Ubuntu install ISO which you used to do your physical install, just make a new blank VM in the wizard (just follow all the defaults); when you open the VM you can click on the virtual CD and point it at an .ISO file, which then VMware emulates as a physical disk inside the VM. If you then start the VM it will behave just like a real machine, by trying to boot from the virtual hard disk - which is blank - and then as that fails, it will boot from the .ISO and you can install a fresh Ubuntu into the VM.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #12 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 5:55pm

downloading:

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/1232

I like that it had sppt for 512 MB RAM, not 256 like another.

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Aug 1st, 2008 at 6:50pm

Rad wrote on Aug 1st, 2008 at 5:55pm:
I like that it had sppt for 512 MB RAM, not 256 like another

Actually, that's just a setting in the VMX file, as I mentioned earlier. In Workstation there's a slider you can adjust to change that, in Player you just need to hand-edit the VMX file which is plain text (open one and take a look).

Pretty much the only thing VMWare Workstation doesn't make easy is resizing the virtual disks. Of course, it helps because there's no reason not to make every virtual disk huge, because by default these are "sparse" and the VMDK file only takes up storage in the host OS based on what is actually being used. Still, since Ghost32 can clone VMDK->VMDK and resize them for you, that's covered too.

This is even true of the bare-metal hypervisors like VMWare ESX; although these don't use plain old files to store the virtual disk contents so you can't just do a file copy to move them from machine to machine, they still do give you a lot of flexibility and control over how much virtual storage each VM has and how it maps to the physical disk.

IP Logged

Rad.Test
Technoluster

Rad's non-Admin test-profile
in Firefox

Reply #14 - Aug 2nd, 2008 at 5:43pm

Posting this from Ubuntu 8.04 .. inside of VMware .. inside of Windows .. inside my house. =)

Pretty cool.

My vmware-vmx.exe is running close to 100% CPU. That's not good.

Kinda weird how it says I have a wired connection, even tho my connection is wireless .. with no wire attached to the laptop.

CPU just went back to normal. That was 5 or 10 minutes at max'ed out. Think it might be disk related, cuz the disk icon was flashing green.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print