Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Can I use blu ray with G 2003 or G 8.x ? (Read 6694 times)
wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Can I use blu ray with G 2003 or G 8.x ?
Aug 5th, 2008 at 7:08pm

Can I use blu-ray to burn one large image of my hard drive using G 2003 and-or G 8x ?

I found following on G 14 forum.

" You can use the Copy Recovery Point Wizard to split the image file you have on your HD into say 49 GB splits. (Whatever you know will fit on your Blue Ray disc) So you will need two discs. I'd expect you will have to split to a HD partition and burn later.

How large is the recovery point? You can increase the compression in that wizard too. "

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Re: Can I use blu ray with G 2003 or G 8.x ?
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2008 at 8:00pm

Not using Ghost directly because the media types for BD-R and BD-RE media did not exist back then for the code to be aware of them. To use new optical media types you need to have code be specifically aware of them and what they imply about the media capabilities.

There's nothing stopping you burning the images to BD yourself, in a two-stage process, but no existing edition of Ghost supports it directly, including 11.x in the GSS2.5 product - BD-R wasn't around for us to use in GSS2.0 and in GSS2.5 support for BD-R was considered but was pushed out to GSS3.0 since making effective use of BD-R media capacities really means using the UDF filesystem instead of ISO9660 ones, and that didn't fit into our project timeline.

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2008 at 11:15pm

thank you for reply.  thank you for being active on this board.

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Can I use dual layer dvd with G 2003 or G 8.x ?
Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 9:26am

Can I use dual layer dvd with G 2003 or G 8.x ?

I know question is similar to before, but I just thought of it.

thank you

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 12:05pm

I can't be 100% certain with 2003 because it's not a version our QA labs have tested anything against for many years, but I know dual-layer just works with the current versions and we didn't do any code changes to have to support it. I believe this is due to the dual-layer capability being exposed by the drives to software as the media being of the same general type (-R, -RW, +R, +RW, and so forth), but simply a larger capacity.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print