Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Error 40011 Not enough space on the destination drive (Read 15794 times)
saberman
N00b

Earth

Error 40011 Not enough space on the destination drive
Aug 10th, 2008 at 5:52pm

Windows XP SP2
Ghost 2003 793

I have two identical Western Digital WD1200JB-75CRA0 EIDE drives.  Drive 1 has the System partition and an extended partition with four logical partions.  It also has a couple of gigs of unallocated space.  I am trying to clone it to Drive 2 which is empty.

I created a boot diskette with PC DOS.  I specified the image option in Ghost which says to do a sector to sector copy of everything included unallocated space.  It didn't work so I following Symantec's suggestion and tried MS DOS.  I again specified the sector to sector coping.  No luck.

Then I tried adding -OR to the Ghost command line when starting it which is supposed to override checking the target drive.  Still no luck.

The error message is 40011 Not enough space on destination drive.

Ghost descibes both drives as:
Size: 114440
Type: Basic
Cylinders: 14589
Heads: 255
Sectors: 63

I also tried:
GHOST -mode=clone,src=1,dst=2 -or
but that gave the same error.

I tried specifing to continue the cloning even if there were bad sectors on the target drive -- no luck.  (Please note that the target drive is fine.  I ran Western Digital's write zeros test to write to every sector on the target drive and it passed.  I just thought the ignore errors option would help.)

As near as I can tell I have the latest version of Ghost 2003.  It has SATA II support.

Is there anyway to clone drives using Ghost 2003 or should I try another vendor?

There's your reality and my reality.&&Sometimes they overlap and sometimes they don't.&&(c) 2006 Saberman, Inc. All Rights Reserved
IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Error 40011 Not enough space on the destination drive
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 7:31pm

saberman,

Any particular reason why you want to copy unallocated space? That could be the problem.

IP Logged

saberman
N00b

Earth

Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 8:42pm

Brian wrote on Aug 10th, 2008 at 7:31pm:
saberman,

Any particular reason why you want to copy unallocated space? That could be the problem.

The options are (1) logical which means it doesn't copy the boot track and the extended partion table; (2) Boot which copies the boot track and the rest logically but not the extended partion table and (3) Image witch copies everything included unallocated space.  

I am trying to clone the drive and there isn't any option that will completely copy cylinder 0 except Image and it also copies unallocated space.

The drives are physically identical and therefore a sector to sector copy should work.  As I said originally I even tried the -or paramter which is supposed to tell Ghost to not even check the destination drive -- just copy.

Symantecs knowledgebase describes the problem as sometimes occuring with smaller or identical destination drives so they know there is a problem with cloning identical drives (which is one of the primary purposes of Ghost).  Neither of their workarounds (using MS DOS or the -or command line flag) work.  

It appears that Ghost 2003 cannot be used to truely (all sectors) clone drives.

Does someone else make a real cloning product?

There's your reality and my reality.&&Sometimes they overlap and sometimes they don't.&&(c) 2006 Saberman, Inc. All Rights Reserved
IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 9:08pm

saberman,

I've used CopyWipe for DOS.

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/copywipe.php

http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/copywipe-ss.htm

Raw Sector Copy:   Copies the contents of the source hard drive to the target hard
drive without regard to the contents. Both used and unused
sectors on the source drive are copied to the target drive.

Straight Copy:   Copies each partition to the target hard drive so that its size
and position are identical to that of the source hard drive. This
copy option requires that the source and target hard drives
have matching geometry, and CopyWipe will notify you if this
option is invalid for the current copy operation.
• If the source file system is FAT, FAT32, NTFS, XFS,
EXT2, EXT3, or ReiserFS, then only used sectors on
the source drive are copied to the target drive. For
other file systems, both used and unused sectors will be
copied from source to target

Scale Size:   Automatically sizes the copied partitions on the target hard
drive so that they each take up the same proportional amount
as on the source hard drive.
1. If the source file system is FAT, FAT32, NTFS, XFS,
EXT2, EXT3, or ReiserFS, then only used sectors
on the source drive are copied to the target drive.
For other file systems, both used and unused
sectors will be copied from source to target. While
copying every sector of unknown files systems
ensures the data is transferred, it does not
guarantee the file system will be bootable.
2. Only resizes extended, FAT, FAT32, and NTFS
partitions. Other partition types will be copied, but
not resized.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #4 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 9:18pm

Quote:
I am trying to clone the drive and there isn't any option that will completely copy cylinder 0 except Image and it also copies unallocated space.

Do you mean Track 0?

IP Logged

Nigel Bree
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 12:42am

You want to be using the -ir switch for this purpose, as you'd expect from the documentation.

All other options will be trying to adapt the layouts of the source and destination partitions and there are combinations of things (depending on the precise way the source disk has been laid out) that will lead Ghost to decide that the two are irreconcilable.

IP Logged

saberman
N00b

Earth

Reply #6 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 11:18pm

Brian wrote on Aug 10th, 2008 at 9:18pm:
Quote:

Do you mean Track 0?

No.  Track 0 is the boot track and that gets copied with the boot option.  I mean cylinder 0 which contains the boot track and some other things.

IP Logged

saberman
N00b

Earth

Reply #7 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 11:34pm

Quote:
You want to be using the -ir switch for this purpose, as you'd expect from the documentation.

All other options will be trying to adapt the layouts of the source and destination partitions and there are combinations of things (depending on the precise way the source disk has been laid out) that will lead Ghost to decide that the two are irreconcilable.

I did not see that in the options section.  The closest I saw was image disk which is supposed to do a sector to sector copy.  (I think that is the equivalent of the -id command line option.)  Of course the -or was also not in the options sections.  I will try -ir on the command line and get back to you.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #8 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 8:11am

Duh!  A really dumb question:

Have you tried running Ghost 2003 without setting any options?
In the (about) eleven years I've been using Ghost, I've never found it necessary to use ANY options (switches) behind the Ghost.exe command itself.

If there's something hinky about your WD drives that is giving Ghost fits, then use one of the  FREE cloning programs that are available from the drive manufacturer. 

Google for "WD Drive Cloning software" and you'll have many sites that address the problem.  Surely you'll find one where you can download the software for FREE.

Personally, I'd never use a WD drive, with all the problems I've had with them in the past.  I use only Maxtor or Seagate drives and both come with the cloning software FREE.

Good Luck to you,
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

saberman
N00b

Earth

Reply #9 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 11:03pm

Quote:

The -ir switch did the trick.  I was able to clone the system drive to an identical drive and it appears to be an exact copy.

IP Logged

saberman
N00b

Earth

Reply #10 - Aug 12th, 2008 at 11:17pm

TheShadow wrote on Aug 12th, 2008 at 8:11am:
Duh!  A really dumb question:

Have you tried running Ghost 2003 without setting any options?
In the (about) eleven years I've been using Ghost, I've never found it necessary to use ANY options (switches) behind the Ghost.exe command itself.

If there's something hinky about your WD drives that is giving Ghost fits, then use one of the  FREE cloning programs that are available from the drive manufacturer.  

Google for "WD Drive Cloning software" and you'll have many sites that address the problem.  Surely you'll find one where you can download the software for FREE.

Personally, I'd never use a WD drive, with all the problems I've had with them in the past.  I use only Maxtor or Seagate drives and both come with the cloning software FREE.

Good Luck to you,
The Shadow  Cool

I tried using Ghost 2003 without any options.  It faile to properly copy the extended partiion table and the extended partion and logical partion sizes were the ones that were originally on the target drive.

There is a known problem in cloning drives using Ghost.  It is in the Symantec Knowledgebase.  They have a few things to try and none of them worked.  The only one that worked was the -ir switch suggested by Nigel Bree (see elsewhare in this thread).

I will try searching for WD cloning programs.  The very existence of them indicates that Ghost has problems with WD drives.

I find it interesting that cloning a drive to an indentical one is a problem.  It is relatively easy to read and write a track at a time.  Had the -ir switch not worked I proably would have written a down and dirty whole drive copier.  It is realatively easy to do when running in DOS real mode since you can issue the IO instructions directly.  The trick is to do it when running in virtual mode.  (Yes, I have code that does both.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print