Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 14, Hard drive clone gone bad, 140GB hd  now shows up as 54GB ? (Read 8858 times)
perchik
N00b

I Love Radified!

Ghost 14, Hard drive clone gone bad, 140GB hd  now shows up as 54GB ?
Aug 15th, 2008 at 8:39pm

I'm trying to upgrade my girlfriend's tiny 60GB laptop hard drive to a new 140GB hard drive. The computer is a Dell Inspiron e1505 (6400) running Windows XP Media Center Edition.  I have the new hard drive connected to the computer via a SATA-USB cable link setup.

The original hard drive has 4 partitions:
[       47 MB FAT (EISA Configuration)] 
[ (C:) 37.24 GB NTFS] 
[ Backup (D:) 12.29 GB NTFS ]
[       4.90GB FAT32 ]

Total : 54.47GB

I tried using Ghost many times but the most recent time, I used Disk Management to manually create the extra partitions, then used ghost to copy the old partition to the new one. (I figure she might need those for something later...)

I did this for each of the 4 partitions. For the C:\  partition I used the settings: check source for file system errors, set drive active, copy MBR

I checked copy MBR based on some stuff I read online about troubleshooting one of my earlier issues...I think that might be what caused the problem.

After the c:\ cloning completed, I shut down the computer, took out the old hard drive, put in the new one and booted. For the first time, I actually hit the windows loading screen. However, that went straight to the Blue screen of death, with stop error 0x0000007B (0xF7A34524, 0xC0000034, 0x0000000, 0x0000000)

So then my train of thought was to erase the drive and try something new. However, now when I view the drive in Disk Management (and in  Disk utility on my mac) the drive shows up as 54.47 GB (exact size of old disk). Cry

I've erased the partition and reformatted it multiple times now trying to restore it to a full size.

Any idea how to get Disk Management or Disk Utility (mac) to see the drive as the full 140GB [well...the 138.7 something it is]?

After that, any idea on how I might clone the old disk while keeping the partitions?

She heads back up to school in a couple days and wants her computer by then... so the sooner I get this done, the better.

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 14, Hard drive clone gone bad, 140GB hd  now shows up as 54GB ?
Reply #1 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 9:17pm

perchik,

You have struck the MediaDirect Host Protected Area problem. It's a pity Dell don't warn users about this issue.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=167401

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?s=76ce7fbaf228dccc13dc10dc5eb260e0...

The second post tells you what is needed to fix the HD. First you will zero LBA-3, then you will remove the HPA.

Fix the HD first and then we can discuss how to clone the partitions.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1148252120;start=

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2008 at 9:31pm

I just realized you can't boot into Windows to run Roadkil. Do you have a bootable USB flash drive?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 2:58am

perchik,

Have you fixed it?

IP Logged

perchik
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 12:42pm

Well. After the first links, the hard drive is now being seen as the correct size.

For the record, I connected the drive, made a windows partition, then moved roadkill to that partition. I ran it from there and I was able to clear LBA-3. Thanks for that! (if you want me to post more detailed instructions about how I managed that, I can explain better.)

So now I'm back to square one as far as cloning the old drive goes. I tried copying the c:\ drive and the mbr, but that didn't do it. Any idea about how I might go about cloning the hard drive?  

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 3:54pm

perchik wrote on Aug 17th, 2008 at 12:42pm:
I tried copying the c:\ drive and the mbr

If you copy the Dell MBR (actually the full Track 0) you will truncate the HD again. It's best to "fix" the old HD and to either overwrite the Dell MBR with a generic MBR (eg fixmbr or fdisk /mbr) or to zero LBA-3. Either approach will prevent what you already experienced. I'd zero LBA-3 on the old HD.

Now you can clone normally.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1148252120;start=

You must clone the OS partition into unallocated space to prevent drive letter issues. The diagnostic partition and the data partition can be cloned into partitions on the new HD. One partition at a time, but I wouldn't bother with the 4.90 FAT32 restore partition. I think you previously cloned the OS partition into a partition on the new HD and this will result in a non boot situation. Cloning to a USB external HD can be problematic so if it fails again you will need to create and restore images.

IP Logged

perchik
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 4:12pm

Well. I seem to have successfully cloned the hd.

For any future searchers..... I deleted all the petitions on the new drive. Then in ghost, I copied the c:\ to the untitled\unpartitioned new drive with the settings of : check for errors on source and on destination,  mark device as Active for booting os, extend partition to unallocated space, new primary partition, drive letter was F:\ but it now reads it as C:\

do NOT check copy MBR. Thats what causes it to read the disk as the original size. GOod luck to anyone who attempts this in the future!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Aug 17th, 2008 at 4:18pm

At least Dell doesn't use a HPA anymore. With Vista, MediaDirect is installed in a logical partition.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print