Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
creating image of only used data on HD (Read 2948 times)
P A
Ex Member

creating image of only used data on HD
Sep 4th, 2008 at 3:41am

Hi All

I'm useing Ghost 2003 and i am trying to make a image of the build but it seems to want to image the whole 70gb of the hd, is there a way of setting ghost to image only the used part of the HD?
thanks for any help that can be given

IP Logged

Spanky
Radmeister

Rad's non-Admin Test profile
in Seamonkey

Same as Rad

Re: creating image of only used data on HD
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 11:02am

It will image only the USED data portion, unless you use special switches that instruct Ghost to perform a bit-for-bit image, which is usually only used by forensics people.

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Re: creating image of only used data on HD
Reply #2 - Sep 10th, 2008 at 1:49pm

If you want a Ghost Image of C:, and you want it to take up the least amount of space, then run "Disk Cleanup" and whatever else you can to remove every piece of junk from your C: drive that you can.

Then from a DOS boot disk run ghost in the "Partition to Image" format with Maximum compression.  That will give you a compressed Image file that will contain only what's needed (minus the temp files and other garbage) and in the smallest amount of space.

After doing a very thorough cleanup of my HD before actually starting Ghost, I can still get a compressed Image of C: on a single DVD.

If you're going for minimum space, you do not want to do a Disk to Disk copy.  That's a CLONE and the TO drive will be the same size as the FROM drive.

Cheers Mates!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print