HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
copying a hard drive? (Read 3681 times)
robj82
Ex Member

copying a hard drive?
Sep 6th, 2008 at 10:48am

Hi all... I know im new and this is probably a stupid question but I am looking for for a tutorial or quick walkthru on using ghost 8.3 part of the suite 1.1. (corp edition)

I need to copy a hard drive  for my father as a backup.. so that if his crashes i can just copy the image to another HD and have everything work the same. The HD I will be copying will stay the same so I don't need to worry about updating it or anything. If someone can point me in the proper direction, that would be great

Thanks in advance

-Rob

IP Logged

aw13973
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

irvine ca

Re: copying a hard drive?
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2008 at 10:04pm

for a nooB, easiest way imo is to run ghost then create a standard boot floppy. 

if dad's computer does not have a floppy drive, buy an external usb floppy drive. 

otherwise please quit.

now.

this is wonderful software that nagel bree and others have written and work here for free, and it deserves respect.   

if you have a floppy drive AND appreciation for the work of theGhost development team, and the rest of us who spend time here helpingand getting help here then we will help you. 

i was a nooB and am grateful for help ireceived

its not brane surgury

best regards

alan

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Re: copying a hard drive?
Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2008 at 9:40am

Ghost was first released by the original authors in ~1997 (or there round- abouts).  

Making a backup of a HD is as simple as turning on a light.
You just have to formulate your backup plan, and then work the plan.

With one hard drive, probably in one partition, you have only a few options, , , , you can back up to an external hard drive or a DVD (s).
You can't run Ghost 8.3 from a floppy disk.....it's too big.
The last version that would fit on a DOS boot floppy was (is) Ghost 2003.

So, you get Ghost.exe version 8.3 onto a Boot CD or Flash Drive and you run it in DOS mode.  You tell it you want to make a "
Disk To Image
" copy, and you specify your DVD burner as the output.  It will name the Ghost backup image file for you so don't mess with that.  If multiple DVD's are required it will automatically stop and ask you for the next DVD when the first one if full.  Just follow the prompts and do what it tells you, till the job is done.

You'll need that Ghost boot disk when you want to do a restore, but a "Disk to Image" backup will have everything needed to make even a brand new HD boot properly.  

Then put that Ghost backup DVD in a very SAFE place.
Remake that backup regularly, to incorporate any new files, etc., that are added to the HD.
I do my own Ghost backups once a week at the very minimum.
I still run Ghost 2003 from a DOS Boot Floppy, so Ghost can copy itself to the DVD, thus making it bootable.  

There's nothing worse than having to do a Ghost Restore with an image file that's months old, and Loose everything that's been done on the PC since then.  So avoid the tears and do a Ghost backup
OFTEN!!
Kiss

Cheers Mate!
The Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print