Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 7 from external drive HELP! (Read 12584 times)
HelpfulITGuy
N00b

I Love Radified!

Ghost 7 from external drive HELP!
Oct 2nd, 2008 at 10:52am

Hello, this is my first post here. I noticed that you do not have a forum for ghost 7, and I believe that this would be the proper forum for this question. The problem also does not seem to be version dependent, so it should not matter that I am using Ghost 7 as opposed to 8. I will start with the back story, the goal, then detail the steps I have taken to the best of my memory.

I work for a small corporation, and I am working on creating a standard image for our Dell Optiplex GX260 series machines. In the past, this was tried using multicast. This caused such network delays that we immediately began to receive support tickets from users saying they could not access network resources. It is not possible to upgrade the network for something such as this. This rules out our ability to multicast the images.

The solution we would like to use is to put the images on an external hard drive. Many of the machines to be imaged do not contain floppy drives, so ideally booting from the external usb drive is necessary. I ran into a large host of problems with this, and have resolved almost all except for booting from the external hard drive. Our machines do support booting from usb, and even have that option standard on the boot menu.

I will outline the steps I have taken, including failures and successes.

1. I made a boot floppy from Ghost's boot floppy utility, and copied the boot sector as well as the files onto the external drive. This resulted in NTLDR missing error. I researched this, and then copied NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM onto the drive. It then attempted to boot to nonexistent windows. I then tried to boot from the floppy, and even that did not work.

2. I made a boot floppy through windows format utility, and copied the ghost files onto the floppy. This successfully booted to ghost, but I was unable to access the USB drive to receive images within ghost. Ghost detected the drive as a physical drive, but DOS did not assign it a drive letter. This makes sense as the drive was NTFS.

3. I copied these boot files to the usb, and received the same 2 errors as previously (NTLDR error if not present, attempt boot to nonexistent windows if present)

4. I did further research, and found that FAT/FAT32 filesystem may be necessary to do this. I formatted the drive as FAT32, and made the size correct for FAT32 specifications. I this time received a different error than when using non-bootable media previously. Previously I got a message simply stating "remove disks or other media, then reboot", or "f2 to retry boot". This time I received message "missing operating system". On the good side, I was now able to read from the drive and it was assigned a drive letter.

5. The following I attempted with the drive formatted as FAT(aka FAT12), FAT16, and FAT32, and met the correct size specifications, respectively. Following bootdisk.com, I attempted using both mkbt and DD to copy the floppy boot sector onto the external drive according to the directions for each of these utilities. I continued to receive "missing operating system" error.

6. I tried other solutions provided by bootdisk.com including the HP utilities, and using windows format utility to format the drive as a bootable floppy by enabling the disabled "make an ms-dos boot disk" checkbox.

7. I formatted the drive back to a 32GB FAT32 partition, and have left the rest of the drive unpartitioned for now. I used the multicast utility to dump the image to my second machine on an isolated network connection so as to not cause interruption to the users I support. I then copied the images to the 32GB FAT32 partition on the external hard drive. I can currently run ghost and image successfully from the external USB drive by booting from my boot floppy. However, There are machines other than my Test Bed machine that do not contain floppy drives. In order for this to be deployed as our imaging solution, I need to be able to boot from USB into Ghost.

If anyone has any information that they believe would be helpful, I would be most appreciative.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Ghost 7 from external drive HELP!
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2008 at 6:43pm

@
 HelpfulITGuy

First--I have none of the newer systems that support booting from an external HDD--so I have no practical experience--and you will have to test my recommendations out to see if they help--we always appreciate reports back to better educate ourselves and other forum members!

I believe I know what your problem is however:

Quote:
1. I made a boot floppy from Ghost's boot floppy utility, and copied the boot sector as well as the files onto the external drive. This resulted in NTLDR missing error. I researched this, and then copied NTLDR and NTDETECT.COM onto the drive. It then attempted to boot to nonexistent windows. I then tried to boot from the floppy, and even that did not work.

Don't know for sure what you did wrong here--I've used the Ghost Boot Disk Wizard from inside WinXP and the floppies have normally worked!  But the *missing NTLDR* indicates that the Master Boot Record (MBR) is an NT style MBR for Win2k onward.  To boot to DOS for Ghost, you need a DOS based MBR.

Quote:
2. I made a boot floppy through windows format utility, and copied the ghost files onto the floppy. This successfully booted to ghost, but I was unable to access the USB drive to receive images within ghost. Ghost detected the drive as a physical drive, but DOS did not assign it a drive letter. This makes sense as the drive was NTFS.

Ghost 7 may not be able to save Ghost image files to a NTFS partition--that might have been added in Ghost 7.5 (which is the twin to Ghost 2003--the retail version of DOS Ghost--which can both read from and save to a NTFS partition)--but, I think Ghost 7 is able to read a Ghost image file saved on a NTFS partition, but you will not be able to boot to DOS using a NTFS partition!

Quote:
4. I did further research, and found that FAT/FAT32 filesystem may be necessary to do this. I formatted the drive as FAT32, and made the size correct for FAT32 specifications. I this time received a different error than when using non-bootable media previously. Previously I got a message simply stating "remove disks or other media, then reboot", or "f2 to retry boot". This time I received message "missing operating system". On the good side, I was now able to read from the drive and it was assigned a drive letter.

Even though you now have a FAT32 partition, you may or may not have the needed DOS MBR as yet with that *missing operating system* error.

Your system accesses the external HDD and assigns a drive letter--cool!--on older systems, you have to load DOS USB drivers to accomplish that feat!

Quote:
7. I formatted the drive back to a 32GB FAT32 partition, and have left the rest of the drive unpartitioned for now. I used the multicast utility to dump the image to my second machine on an isolated network connection so as to not cause interruption to the users I support. I then copied the images to the 32GB FAT32 partition on the external hard drive. I can currently run ghost and image successfully from the external USB drive by booting from my boot floppy. However, There are machines other than my Test Bed machine that do not contain floppy drives. In order for this to be deployed as our imaging solution, I need to be able to boot from USB into Ghost.

Okay, so try this--I think you need to prepare the HDD to be bootable to DOS--you use a special DOS utility called *sys.com*--and it has to be pre-WinME--the WinME *sys.com* will only work with a floppy disk, not a HDD!  

Get the boot disk for Win98SE form BootDisks.com

Choose the *Windows 98 SE OEM* file to download, execute the program file on a system with a floppy drive (it's okay if it's a WinXP system, etc.--the boot disk will be the original Win98 ERD (Emergency Recover Disk) regardless of the current OS and file system that you are using!), and supply a formatted floppy disk when requested. (sys.com is in the *EBD.CAB*)

Boot using the Win98SE ERD (Emergency Recovery Disk), confirm that you can see your external FAT32 HDD and that it is DOS drive C:--then type at the command:  sys.com a: c:

That should make the external HDD a *system* disk, and allow for copying the other various files from the boot floppy to the HDD and being able to boot to DOS.

Let us know how it goes!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

HelpfulITGuy
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 8:15am

@Nightowl

Thank you very much for your explanation as to what may be going on. Unfortunately, I have just tried this solution, and still receive the "missing operating system" error. I have also tried using raw write to completely copy an image and MBR off of a tested working boot floppy onto the drive, which resulted in the same missing operating system error. I am beginning to fear that due to some hardware restriction on this HDD(Maxtor OneTouch 4, purpose-built external HDD), or on the motherboard(The boot menu says USB Flash device, not USB external HDD), I will not be able to use this particular HDD to boot into ghost.  I will continue to try new things, and am willing to take any further advice. 

Does Ghost solution suite have some other method of deploying images that may solve my problem? Note that the only real problem is that we cannot multicast the images over the network, due to bandwidth limitations. If anyone has any other ideas for a solution to this problem, then booting from USB will not be necessary.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 8:50am

@
 HelpfulITGuy

It may be that if the MBR of the external HDD was originally created to be a NT based MBR, the tools you are currently using may not be zeroing out that MBR--many disk tools will not touch the MBR--they often only edit the Master Partition Table--leaving the Boot Record alone, or will only touch it if you explicitly command it to.

Ghost comes with *Gdisk*--its own partitioning tool--it has the ability to zero the MBR:  Switches: GDisk

Here's another tool that should work:  MBRWizard - The MBR Management Utility.

There are others--most disk or sector editors can be used to zero out the first absolute sector 0--which basically makes the disk *factory fresh*--no partitioning or formatting present.

Here's a Windows based sector editor:  Roadkil's Sector Editor

You could then boot using the Win98se floppy and use the DOS Format program to place a FAT partition on the HDD and then perform the *sys.com*--what I don't know is whether your USB external HDD will be visible to the *format* program--and if it will work with a large HDD.

Quote:
The boot menu says USB Flash device, not USB external HDD

A flash drive may not equate to a USB HDD!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 9:25am

@
 HelpfulITGuy

Alternatively--getting creative--create a bootable flash drive that runs Ghost that accesses the stored image on the external USB HDD--not a single component solution--have to have the flash drive and the external HDD together--but would probably work!

IP Logged

HelpfulITGuy
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 9:52am

I had thought of that, but that would require a call to the purchasing dept, and They don't like the idea of "This might work". I will try those tools you recommended and get back to you. Most helpful.

edit: I also don't know if I would receive the same probs attempting to boot from the flash drive.

IP Logged

HelpfulITGuy
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 10:48am

I found one thing. Using MBRwiz, I saw that the partition was not set as active. I set it to active, then tried to boot to it using the files on the 98SE disk. It did NOT return "operating system not found, however, it got past POST, I chose to boot from usb, and the system hung from that point. rebooted, cleared MBR with MBR wiz, and rebooted into DOS. DOS wanted me to use Fdisk, so I am fdisking right now. will edit shortly when I have some results.

edit1: Strangely enough, fdisk thinks the size of the drive is 25 GB when  it is actually 512GB. I will probably be using gdisk after this.

edit2: It appears fdisk has hosed me. I get the worst error of all on boot. "f1 to retry boot, f2 to enter setup utility". It does this one when it can not read the boot media at all. gonna repartition with gdisk and see what I can get

edit3:  Cheesy Grin CoolWIN! Cool Grin Cheesy  After many failed attempts, Re-partitioned using gdisk, set size to 32768 MB(32GB). Used MBRwizard to set partition to active, THEN formatted using disk management. Booted with win98 SE bootdisk, ran sys.com a: c:. The order of operations seemed to matter. I will next be replacing the win98 files with winxp boot disk files, and copying ghost onto the drive. If this fails, I will cry. Major thanks to Nightowl for the help, and Rad for providing this totally rad resource.

edit4: After copying the files from the boot disk made through windows XP( which makes a windows ME bootdisk), It appears that it is REQUIRED to use win98 bootdisk files to boot to the drive. A simple sys.com a: c:, rather than copying all the bootdisk files, works just fine.

urelated edit: unrelated question. How can I make ghost images without pirating windows XP? I would like to use the actual product keys rather than having the same product key on every machine.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 1:50pm

@
 HelpfulITGuy

Quote:
edit1: Strangely enough, fdisk thinks the size of the drive is 25 GB when  it is actually 512GB. I will probably be using gdisk after this

I know that Win98se *format* program had a size limit--I thought it was 64 GB--but probably the USB interface was an issue too.

Please clarify--your system is taking care of access to the external USB HDD when booted to DOS--correct?  How new are these systems?

Quote:
urelated edit: unrelated question. How can I make ghost images without pirating windows XP? I would like to use the actual product keys rather than having the same product key on every machine.

I didn't know that a product key came into play with the corporate ghost v7.xx--I thought if you had a site license that covers each unit you have using the Ghost program on, you would be good to go.  Are these internal units--or are you a vendor putting these units out the door to customers?

IP Logged

HelpfulITGuy
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #8 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 2:09pm

No, the issue is not the site license for ghost, but the licensing for Windows XP. Each of our machines has a different product key on a sticker on the top of it. These are internal machines, but I'm not comfortable with each machine being imaged with the same Windows product key.

As far as your question about the usb, the systems are fairly new. I couldn't tell you a date when they were gotten, but they are running on P4 2.8 GHz processors, and they do access the HDD just fine and register them as a physical disk, even before DOS. This is further cemented by the fact that I removed the USB drivers from the boot disk entirely, and currently have a working boot disk, a working boot external HDD, and I can read my images off the HDD just fine. I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. It seems that Fdisk is just not a great utility for working with external drives. It made the drive basically unusable when I partitioned it, not to mention getting the size way wrong. GDisk and format both read the capacity correctly.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #9 - Oct 3rd, 2008 at 4:53pm

@
 HelpfulITGuy

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what you are asking. It seems that Fdisk is just not a great utility for working with external drives. It made the drive basically unusable when I partitioned it, not to mention getting the size way wrong. GDisk and format both read the capacity correctly.

My bad--it's *fdisk.exe* that has the 64 GB capacity in the Win98se DOS files--not *format.com*!

There is a Microsoft program that can be used in conjunction with Ghost called *SysPrep*--so you can have a baseline system image that is generic--but, I think you will then have to enter the computer specific license key when it's first booted.  I think you can automate most of the other initial settings.

How were you handling that issue with using the network?

IP Logged

HelpfulITGuy
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #10 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 8:00am

I'm not sure what was done about licensing during the earlier network imaging attempts, as this project wasn't in my hands at that time. From what you described, I'm not certain if SysPrep is the right option for my needs. We are attempting to use an image that images the machine with Windows as well as a host of software that is standard for our business.

IP Logged

HelpfulITGuy
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #11 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 1:37pm

Update:

This doesn't seem very practical. I'm unsure why, but the data speed goes from 20-50 MB/minute. This makes for an image time of 3-4 hours. I can do a full XP install and load the software on manually in that time frame. I am thinking of just taking a spare IDE HDD and using that for imaging. If anyone has any ideas for another solution, I am wide open for ideas. On the bright side, this thread is a good source of documentation for doing a process that, as far as I can see, hasn't been documented anywhere else, and shows that all in all, from implementation, to testing, to use, it seems to be a very impractical and inefficient method of using Ghost.

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #12 - Oct 6th, 2008 at 3:52pm

hello,

here is a useful information for you
it uses a FAT32 partition on hard drive like dell do
except you got your own image dell use CTRL + F11
you use F10 or F11
http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=14127&st=20&p=111856&#entry1118...

it is faster than external USB specially if it is old machine wit USB 1.1

regards Ben
Smiley

IP Logged

HelpfulITGuy
N00b

I Love Radified!

Reply #13 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 7:51am

Update:

After some research, I believe I owe NightOwl an apology. Sysprep is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for the advice, and I will make sure to do my research before I open my mouth(or my keyboard?) the next time.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #14 - Oct 8th, 2008 at 10:56am

@
 HelpfulITGuy

Quote:
I believe I owe NightOwl an apology

Hey--no problem.  We are all learning from sharing our collective experience here at the Radified forums--not every suggestion is *best* for everyone--each user has to determine if a suggestion is appropriate for them.

Quote:
This doesn't seem very practical. I'm unsure why, but the data speed goes from 20-50 MB/minute. This makes for an image time of 3-4 hours.

Speed, especially with USB and optical discs can be an issue.  Your result sounds like the system is defaulting to USB 1.x rather than using 2.0!  That can be a problem if components are not fully compatible with the DOS drivers that are in use!

You could possibly consider storing the images *locally*--either on a separate HDD, or a separate partition--which could even be *hidden*, but still available to Ghost booted to DOS via a boot disk or disc--HDD-to-HDD or partition-to-partition is the fastest way to create and restore Ghost images!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print