Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Image a drive without installing Ghost (Read 15890 times)
jay
Ex Member

Image a drive without installing Ghost
Oct 21st, 2008 at 4:02pm

There used to be a version of Ghost that would create an image without installing it on the system. Any one know which version it is & where I can get a copy? Or is there a better program with this capability? I am running XP & Ubuntu.

Thanks
Jim

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Re: Image a drive without installing Ghost
Reply #1 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 7:15pm

Jim,
As far back as 1997, Ghost has been a DOS program, designed to be run from a DOS boot disk.  Originally that was, by default, a 1.44meg Floppy disk.

Only after Symantec got a hold of it and started adding things to it, was the Ghost.exe file too large to fit on a floppy disk any more.

Ghost 2003 build 793 was, I believe the last version that will run from a single Floppy.  However there are later versions that will run just fine from a boot CD or Flash Drive.

I have both Ghost 8.3 and Ghost 11.5 running from Flash Drives and CD's.

So what version are you interested in and what media do you want to boot from?
Both Ghost 2003 and 8.3 work fine for Xp but for Vista you'll need at least Ghost 11.5.
In NONE of the versions I've mentioned here, do they ever need to be installed on a Hard Drive.  In fact, I've found that installing Ghost to an HD, is totally redundant.

So again, I ask, "What's your pleasure?"

Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

jay
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 5:05am

Thanks Shadow for your response.
I have Ghost 2002 (as a zip) & SystemWorks Pro 2003 with Ghost. And I just bought Ghost 14 hoping it would do the job, but there doesn't appear to be a way to boot Ghost from any of them. I also have Drive Image 5. Same problem.
I would like to be able to create an image of XP (& Ubuntu) & then restore it from a CD or a USB stick.
My preferred backup medium is either a USB HD or a network drive. Probably the USB HD is the easiest.
(I am a complete novice at Linux but reasonably proficient with Windows.)

Thanks
Jim

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 9:32am

@
 jay

Quote:
There used to be a version of Ghost that would create an image without installing it on the system.

That *could* be Ghost 2002 or Ghost 2003--but even though you don't have to install it, you do have to boot to old DOS and run the program from there.

I think SystemWorks Pro's installation disk will boot to DOS--but, it will only bring up the Norton Utilities like the DOS antivirus--you can't get to Ghost directly.  Go to Boot floppy disks and ISO files for bootable CD discs from Allbootdisks.com, or Boot Disks.

Choose the *Windows 98 SE OEM* file to download, execute the program file on a system with a floppy drive if it's a floppy disk creator (it's okay if it's a WinXP system, etc.--the boot disk will be the original Win98 ERD (Emergency Recover Disk) regardless of the current OS and file system that you are using!), or create a bootable CD if it's a boot CD creator, and supply a formatted floppy disk or CD when requested.

Check out your SystemWorks disc--find the subdirectory on it that has *ghost.exe*--there will be two or three other programs as well--if memory serves.  Knowing where to find the Ghost program, boot your boot disk or disc to DOS, navigate to the Ghost subdirectory and type ghost.exe .

To navigate in DOS, you type the drive letter and a colon to change to a different drive--once booted you will be at the A:\> prompt--if your CD drive is X:, then type x:  , and press enter--you will be at the DOS prompt for the CD drive.  (Note:  your CD drive letter in DOS may be different than what it is in Windows.)

To change to different subdirectories on the X:> drive, type cd, space, and the subdirectory name--so to change from the root directory of X:\> to the *Utility* subdirectory, you would type cd utility, and press enter.  To go back one subdirectory, you type cd.. So like this:  cd.. and press enter (no space required on this command).

Note:  DOS names can only have 8 characters, a *dot*, and three character extension.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Image a drive without installing Ghost
Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2008 at 9:33am

This Topic was moved here from Norton Ghost 14, Ghost 12, Ghost 10 + Ghost 9,  including Norton Save + Restore by NightOwl.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

kiers
N00b

Save me O Ghost who Walks

New York

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2008 at 10:26pm

Darn U Symantec.  AngryWha'ts with the proliferation of VERSIONS!!! Like a bunch of retards you create 14 versions in 4 years!!!

I'm a newbie. I got Solution Suite 2.0...is this the right forum? Mistakenly the mainpage of radified describes 11.0 as NS&R. I have Sol Suite...

pls clarify.

IP Logged

wp
Technoluster

I Love Radified!

california

Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2008 at 5:52pm

do you have a floppy drive ?

IP Logged

ben_mott
Nuclear Grade

Reply #7 - Nov 4th, 2008 at 1:55pm

IP Logged

TheShadow
Kahuna

Old Ghost user!

Florida, USA

Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2008 at 6:31am

I've mentioned this before, but let me touch on it again.

Most of the new computers that come out without a floppy drive, still have logic on the motherboard to support one.  
Some even have a floppy drive port on the motherboard.
With all of the USB options in the mobo BIOS turned ON, the mobo will boot from a bootable floppy disk in a USB Floppy Disk Drive. Wink

I use my little USB floppy drive often and I sell about one a month to my customers who have purchased New computers without a floppy drive in them, where the user wants or needs to still use a floppy disk.

Since floppy disks 'Forget' and are subject to all sorts of degradation, I always encourage people with data on floppies, to copy the date into a folder on their HD and then burn it to CD/DVD's.

I just had a guy call me yesterday and tell me that his Ghost boot floppy was coming up with a boot error.  I'll be assisting him in getting Ghost on a boot CD.

FWIW

Shadow  Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print